I'm not particularly a big fan of James Joyce's actual literary works, however, I've always enjoyed his letters to his wife, Nora Barnacle.  From flogging to fart sniffing, Joyce was into it all:

http://arlindo-correia.com/joyce.html

http://theamericanreader.com/december-13-1909-james-joyce-to-nora-barnacle-joyce/

And if you want the cliff notes, you can skip to some of the dirtest parts here:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexnaidus/the-dirtiest-excerpts-from-james-joyces-letters?utm_term=.mm9nZew0b3#.yeQ2l07Bv3

I am greatly amused that he refers to her as "Fuck Bird."

Ahh James Joyce. That was a man in tune with his sexuality and fetish lifestyle. From his words you can see just how deep he was into it. A true kinkster and fetishist indeed. Ive written two intensely sexual letters like those in my life. Good memories! Definitely opened the minds of the two girls who had received them. Infact, his letters actually helped me feel a little more at ease with my own fart fetish which I heartily embrace now.

I used to write notes like that to my third grade teacher. She called me aside and asked where I learned to say such things to women. I said my father. She said I want to have a talk with him. Never heard another word about it.

Dannyboy

A "talk," eh?

Ahh James Joyce. That was a man in tune with his sexuality and fetish lifestyle. From his words you can see just how deep he was into it. A true kinkster and fetishist indeed. Ive written two intensely sexual letters like those in my life. Good memories! Definitely opened the minds of the two girls who had received them. Infact, his letters actually helped me feel a little more at ease with my own fart fetish which I heartily embrace now.

It's great that finding a cultural figure with the same fetish has helped you feel more at ease with your own fart fetish.

This is some down right romantic stuff right here Katz. I wish peeps would capture this sort of essence in day to day writing now!

They might, but in secret.

Omg! I love these letters, I first learned about them from an old English professor! On the topic of dignified artists' dirty/sillier works, have you heard of Mozart's "Leck mich im Arsch"? I think it's easy enough to translate by the looks of it lol!

One of my friends who was doing a grad paper on Joyce showed them to me.

I don't know whether my husband is a genius or not, but he certainly has a dirty mind.

--Nora Barnacle

He certainly kept things interesting, that's for sure!

• 1 month later...