Book to Movie/Show

Mistress Kang

I like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. I saw the movie when I was a kid and loved it and read it in school and really enjoyed the book. They are a bit different but both equally good in different ways.

Another that comes to mind is another Jack Nicholson movie, The Shining. I love the book more so then the movie, but the movie certainly is a trip! 

What is your's Mistress Kang?

7 hours ago, theDumbMule said:

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones).  The books definitely have more back story and lore.  But I prefer the show as it's very well produced and is tighter story telling.

Tighter storytelling for such a long series would be a plus. I don't have any desire to read the books. I'm happy with the show.

8 hours ago, The Spermwhale said:

I like "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey. I saw the movie when I was a kid and loved it and read it in school and really enjoyed the book. They are a bit different but both equally good in different ways.

Another that comes to mind is another Jack Nicholson movie, The Shining. I love the book more so then the movie, but the movie certainly is a trip! 

I'm so surprised how much we have in common sometimes LOL I'm totally going to read these two books because I enjoyed the movies. 

IDK what my answer would be. But I wish they would make Citizen of The Galaxy into a movie because it was a great book. Favorite character was the old dude that bought him as a slave and taught him everything he knew.

23 hours ago, Mistress Kang said:

What is your favorite book to movie/show adaptation? Is it better than the book? Why?

Hi Mistress Kang,

I've been off the forum for a bit.  Tough year.  If I could I'd punch 2018 in the face!

1) Wise Guy - By Nicholas Pileggi - Goodfellas - My sister and I used to watch that movie all the time.  And my old boss grew up around all the real people from the book.  He would tell me horror stories about them.  In 2015 it was revealed that John Gotti actually killed Tommy DiSimone (Joe Pesci's character in the movie) in the book The Lufthansa Heist.

2) Fight Club - By Chuck Palahniuk - Movie was great and another I've scene many times

3) No Country For Old Men - By Cormac McCarthy - The book reads like a treatment for a movie and the film is an almost spot on adaptation.

22 hours ago, The Spermwhale said:

Hey The Spermwhale,

That's a great book!  Have you read The Electric Cooled Acid Test by Tom Wolf?  It's awesome.  I loved learning abut Ken Kesey's history with the LSD movement and the "Merry Band of Pranksters."

On 9/15/2018 at 2:25 PM, Mistress Kang said:

What is your favorite book to movie/show adaptation? Is it better than the book? Why?

Crap!  I forgot my favorite.  How "Duh" of me.

Band of Brothers By Stephen E. Ambrose - The series got so much of the book right and then some though they had to take some liberties and change some characterization around.  This holds a special place in my heart for two important reasons.  One - I was a paratrooper, combat infantry and this is about some of the first US combat infantry paratroopers.  Two - My grandfather fought at D-Day (Depicted in episode two entitled "Day of Days") and I'm very proud of that fact.

Lots of great answers given already, I'll go with two Steinbeck novels made into movies.  The original movie adaptation of "The Grapes of Wrath" is obviously a classic...you can't go back and read that book now and see Tom Joad as anyone other than Henry Fonda.  I also really like the all but forgotten Gary Sinise/John Malkovich "Of Mice and Men."  Saw it in the theater with my Dad and we both pretended we weren't crying at the end.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, The Spermwhale said:

Two great answers.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:05 PM, littlejohn said:

The Godfather!

Another great answer.  I'm kind of glad that weird subplot about the gynecological plastic surgeon in the book didn't make it to the movie though.

5 hours ago, Tyro Tim said:

I’d add The Lord of The Rings trilogy into the discussion.  I know that I eagerly awaited the 2nd and 3rd films once I had seen The Fellowship of the Ring.

You know, I never read the books as a kid, but went back and read them as an adult because I enjoyed the movies so much.  It's sort of sacrilege, but I found myself disappointed by some aspects of the books...like how little characters like Arwen have to do...then realized all their scenes from the movie are based on the epilogue material.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, Jayman said:

Hi Mistress Kang,

I've been off the forum for a bit.  Tough year.  If I could I'd punch 2018 in the face!

1) Wise Guy - By Nicholas Pileggi - Goodfellas - My sister and I used to watch that movie all the time.  And my old boss grew up around all the real people from the book.  He would tell me horror stories about them.  In 2015 it was revealed that John Gotti actually killed Tommy DiSimone (Joe Pesci's character in the movie) in the book The Lufthansa Heist.

2) Fight Club - By Chuck Palahniuk - Movie was great and another I've scene many times

3) No Country For Old Men - By Cormac McCarthy - The book reads like a treatment for a movie and the film is an almost spot on adaptation.

Jayman,

Wise Guy was a great book  and Goodfellas was an even better movie.  I worked with a guy who knew Henry Hill .  Some good stories.  Hope  the year turns around for you!

On 9/16/2018 at 12:25 AM, Mistress Kang said:

Ian McShane is in it! He's so good in so many things though. Deadwood, 42 Inch Chest, Sexy Beast. How was he in American Gods?

Thought he was a little over the top to be honest. The viewer should feel there is something more about him, without knowing what it is or being sure about it until the reveal. In the show, you may not know what, but you know it's something. And it kind of kills of the character exposition because you realize what the show is trying to show really isn't tbe truth rather easily. 

16 hours ago, harrypotter said:

Bridge on the River Kwai and Day of the Jackal.  Both enjoyable books but the films are more epic and engrossing.  The film ending of Kwai is far superior too.  My Life as a Dog the film is excellent and much better than the book.   Valmont and Dangerous Liaisons are both better than the book.

Obvious question.  Why didn’t you mention any of the Harry Potter books?

Dear Ms. Kang,

I have the hard cover comic of "the Crow" and love the movie. R.I.P. Brandon Lee!

Waiting for anyone picking up the filming rights for the Charlie Parker novels from John Connolly and

"the List of Seven" from Mark Frost (the Twin Peaks author).

Still love the Charlton Heston "Ben Hur", Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab in "Moby Dick"

and "20000 leagues under the sea" with Kirk Douglas.

And I love "RENT" the musical adaption of "La Vie Boheme" from Jonathan Larson and the movie

with Rosario Dawson! Just to name a few...

17 hours ago, harrypotter said:

I never watched any of the movies!  I watched about 5 minutes of one and found their haircuts so distracting I never watched any more

You need to force your way through at least one to see the late Alan Rickman as Severus Snape.  One of those film performances where you can never reread the books and not picture that actor in the part.

• 2 weeks later...