Japanese Maids and Pancakes

Mistress Kang

What do people here think of maid cafes? Anyone ever been?

My best friend came along for a bit on my last trip to Tokyo and he really wanted to go to one, so I agreed, begrudgingly. I think it was a disappointing experience for him--kinda creepy, kinda awkward--and for me, since I'd been once back in 2006, I knew what to expect (but hoped he'd have a good time anyway). The burlesque show we went to--with its very assertive, devious minded performers--was much better :]

What do people here think of maid cafes? Anyone ever been?

My best friend came along for a bit on my last trip to Tokyo and he really wanted to go to one, so I agreed, begrudgingly. I think it was a disappointing experience for him--kinda creepy, kinda awkward--and for me, since I'd been once back in 2006, I knew what to expect (but hoped he'd have a good time anyway). The burlesque show we went to--with its very assertive, devious minded performers--was much better :]

my friend was just talking about his experience in maid cafes! he said it made him very uncomfortable and if i understand correctly the premise is there are a bunch of maids that are serving you as their master while their actual master is away?

i don't like anything that places in women in an overtly submissive role, obviously :)

my friend was just talking about his experience in maid cafes! he said it made him very uncomfortable and if i understand correctly the premise is there are a bunch of maids that are serving you as their master while their actual master is away?

i don't like anything that places in women in an overtly submissive role, obviously :)

That's basically it. They use crazy honorific language, dote all over you, etc etc. I understand the function it provides for something people, but it's just very antithetical to my nature... obviously. I've heard there are a few cafes where the maids are really mean to you, which seems like it might be fun, but I'm not sure I'd get the full effect as a "foreigner".

Someone told me there are cafes where the maids are really rude to you until you try to leave, and then they switch to being subservient.  I don't know...it's not for me to judge other cultures or other people's interests but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I had a fantasy once about a maid who is secretly the one in charge, dominating her employer but still taking his money while he does the housework.  But even that didn't really make sense (why does she keep wearing the outfit?)