bdsm x underground music culture

mZ,

That's a pretty good song. BDSM isn't just in underground music culture, if you look towards Japan, its widespread in the rock and pop videos. Actually some of them can get down right creepy, or down right awesome. I would post some but they're usually pretty graphic, even when already censored.

-monokuro

mZ,

That's a pretty good song. BDSM isn't just in underground music culture, if you look towards Japan, its widespread in the rock and pop videos. Actually some of them can get down right creepy, or down right awesome. I would post some but they're usually pretty graphic, even when already censored.

-monokuro

Post them!!! I wanna seeeee.

Japanese culture is mind-bending. I can't wait to visit!

What I meant by underground was more in the vein of the genre of music Devendra falls into. Lo-fi freak folk, etc.

And I like that he's undergroundish.

BDSM is everywhere, seeping into pop culture. No denying that.

The new Lady Gaga video, Telephone, has quite a few bdsm overtones. She's also hinted at much of a masochistic side in many of her lyrics. I actually like her, although her music is more like dancefloor anthem than actual substance. She is definitely helping the vanilla commoners understand the edgy side of life a little more.

What I meant by underground was more in the vein of the genre of music Devendra falls into. Lo-fi freak folk, etc.

And I like that he's undergroundish.

BDSM is everywhere, seeping into pop culture. No denying that.

The new Lady Gaga video, Telephone, has quite a few bdsm overtones. She's also hinted at much of a masochistic side in many of her lyrics. I actually like her, although her music is more like dancefloor anthem than actual substance. She is definitely helping the vanilla commoners understand the edgy side of life a little more.

Always nice to see BDSM and a better understanding of the edgy side of life seeping more into pop culture.

Post them!!! I wanna seeeee.

Japanese culture is mind-bending. I can't wait to visit!

mZ,

Well of course I'll have to post some of them. There are some bdsm themed cafes in Tokyo, but I was told to stay clear of them unless accompanied. (Everybody picks on the tall white kid) And onto the videos:

Soulhead - XXX feat. Koda Kumi

The obvious things are bondage, corporal punishment, and Yoshika in a military uniform :D

Ali Project - Boukoku Kakusei Catharsis

There's a dude on a cross, and he doesn't look very happy about it. He looks more dead. Still, nice costume and music. This is the same musical duo that made Hizamazuite Ashi wo Oname (Kneel Down and Lick my Feet) that I posted in a much earlier topic.

Ali Project - Seishoujo Ryouiki

Same band as before, a much faster pace in the music, guy in a cage that she stabs but look at her hair, even if that is extension or wig just marvel at how much work that must have taken.

Gackt - Vanilla It is the subtitled version, easier to see what he sings.

Of course Gackt made a video involving themes of domination, its an automatic cash influx. The themes are in the lyrics more than the video.

That's all I could remember in about 10 minutes, I have the feeling that Dir en Grey did some videos with bdsm in them but they're kind of... graphic.

Also,

G Dragon is the male Korean version of Lady Gaga? I think so

-monokuro

mZ,

Well of course I'll have to post some of them. There are some bdsm themed cafes in Tokyo, but I was told to stay clear of them unless accompanied. (Everybody picks on the tall white kid) And onto the videos:

The obvious things are bondage, corporal punishment, and Yoshika in a military uniform :D

There's a dude on a cross, and he doesn't look very happy about it. He looks more dead. Still, nice costume and music. This is the same musical duo that made Hizamazuite Ashi wo Oname (Kneel Down and Lick my Feet) that I posted in a much earlier topic.

Same band as before, a much faster pace in the music, guy in a cage that she stabs but look at her hair, even if that is extension or wig just marvel at how much work that must have taken.

Of course Gackt made a video involving themes of domination, its an automatic cash influx. The themes are in the lyrics more than the video.

That's all I could remember in about 10 minutes, I have the feeling that Dir en Grey did some videos with bdsm in them but they're kind of... graphic.

Also,

-monokuro

Monokuro,

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed the videos. I am a big Koda Kumi fan and had never seen that Soulhead video before.

mZ,

Also,

-monokuro

mono,

Not to belittle your taste, but after watching the first one, I am having gas cramps from the cheesiness of it. I guess some people love watching cute Japanese girls do just about anything, but GAAAH. Not even the bdsm overtones redeem these works.

What I like about the Devendra Banhart video is that it's so pure and heartfelt, not like he's using the concepts or idea to craft this cool image, but like he's somehow living the lifestyle and understands the psychology of what these relationships entail.

:x

mono,

Not to belittle your taste, but after watching the first one, I am having gas cramps from the cheesiness of it. I guess some people love watching cute Japanese girls do just about anything, but GAAAH. Not even the bdsm overtones redeem these works.

What I like about the Devendra Banhart video is that it's so pure and heartfelt, not like he's using the concepts or idea to craft this cool image, but like he's somehow living the lifestyle and understands the psychology of what these relationships entail.

:x

mZ,

I disagree, Devendra Banhart also is using concepts to craft this cool image. He's really just replying to a cultural trend with "First". In Japan, Malice Mizer or X probably got their own "First" reply to bdsm culture in Asia, whereas Banhart's video is the same thing in a society that's grown to be less likely to ostracize / hunt him down. It really comes down to cultural tolerances, even in the early Noughties or 2000s bdsm still had an underground feel to it with many openly opposed to its existence, but the influential Bible Belt doesn't exist in Japan so themes of bdsm have become so ubiquitous that most people are cool with it being around. Its the difference of 2010 compared to 1990s or 1980s, I agree he's being pure and heartfelt as you described but it is still a marketing ploy. Just like when Koda Kumi or Ali Project use elements of bdsm in their videos it is just a trickle down effect of others going full on. Ultimately its still the music industry in an effort for people to buy him and he went for that untapped market just like how Dir en Grey went for the market of people brave enough to confront some pretty serious social issues in far from pure ways.

-monokuro

mZ,

I disagree, Devendra Banhart also is using concepts to craft this cool image. He's really just replying to a cultural trend with "First". In Japan, Malice Mizer or X probably got their own "First" reply to bdsm culture in Asia, whereas Banhart's video is the same thing in a society that's grown to be less likely to ostracize / hunt him down. It really comes down to cultural tolerances, even in the early Noughties or 2000s bdsm still had an underground feel to it with many openly opposed to its existence, but the influential Bible Belt doesn't exist in Japan so themes of bdsm have become so ubiquitous that most people are cool with it being around. Its the difference of 2010 compared to 1990s or 1980s, I agree he's being pure and heartfelt as you described but it is still a marketing ploy. Just like when Koda Kumi or Ali Project use elements of bdsm in their videos it is just a trickle down effect of others going full on. Ultimately its still the music industry in an effort for people to buy him and he went for that untapped market just like how Dir en Grey went for the market of people brave enough to confront some pretty serious social issues in far from pure ways.

-monokuro

You may be right, and I am certainly more biased toward a more heartfelt, sincere display, even if it is just a marketing ploy. Who really knows these days.