Book to Movie/Show

Mistress Kang

On 9/15/2018 at 12:33 PM, The Spermwhale said:

The Shining. I love the book more so then the movie, but the movie certainly is a trip!

Few directors have the vision to make an original œuvre from a book. Kubrick was the Johnny Cash of cinema: once he adapted your book, it was no longer yours. The Shining (which disappointed Stephen King, the fool !), A clockwork orange, The killing, Full metal jacket (although I have read neither Clean break nor The short-timers)...

Then there is Philip Kaufman's The right stuff. I tried to read Tom Wolfe's book but I cannot stand his mac Donald's style. That film though... "I think I see a plane over there with my name on it."

Jean-Jacques Annaud squeezed Umberto Eco's erudite Il nome della rosa into a tight, suspenseful mystery with a menacing atmosphere. He also chose to replace the dialogues with grunts in his adaptation of J.-H. Rosny's La guerre du feu, which suprisingly worked.

Watching Rob Reiner's Stand by me is precisely the same as reading Stephen King's novella, which could be criticised as lack of imagination, but in this case is a proof of exquisite sensitivity and actor direction. Same with Yves Robert's La guerre des boutons, also starring children.

Blade Runner. Jaws. Pierrot le fou. Apocalypse now. Les diaboliques. Cinema is such a powerful medium.

• 4 weeks later...

The book The Kremlin Letter by Noel Behn (deceased). The movie by the same name starred:

• Richard Boone as Ward
  • Bibi Andersoon
  • Patrick O'Neal
  • George Sanders (suicide)
  • Barbara Perkins

Richard Boone aka Sturdevant killed himself in front of the Highwayman (Dean Jagger) as a disinformation ploy.

Hmmm Good!

Love,

Dancespell

To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) and Stand By Me (from The Body by Stephen King).  Both do a fabulous job of preserving a child's perspective and the idea that no matter how much children are among us underfoot, they still inhabit a parallel universe of their own making.  I also think the shorter form tends to make King a more disciplined writer.  Apt Pupil is another example

Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lahane... both were very good, but i always seem to favor book versions regardless.

If you like fantasy novels, there is a kinda Japanese version of Game of Thrones titled   "Across the Nightingale Floor" . It's book 1 of the trilogy "Tales of the Otori". written by Lian Hearn in 2002.  It's a terrific tale, one of those you never want to see end,  and there was talk of movie but i haven't heard of anything recently.

Nightingale Floor.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 7:55 PM, Mistress Rey said:

That was my favorite episode, naturally. 

Just re-watched.  In keeping with the wonderfully twisted humor of that series it's kind of their "holiday episode."

Irene Adler: I'd have you over this desk until you begged for mercy twice.

Sherlock: I've never begged for mercy in my life.

Irene Adler: Twice.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:42 AM, ConsentOptional said:

To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) and Stand By Me (from The Body by Stephen King).  Both do a fabulous job of preserving a child's perspective and the idea that no matter how much children are among us underfoot, they still inhabit a parallel universe of their own making.  I also think the shorter form tends to make King a more disciplined writer.  Apt Pupil is another example

Have you read the new book that Harper Lee came out with as a sequel?

On 12/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, ConsentOptional said:

Nope.  Someone gave me a copy but I haven't gotten to it.  I would have to steel myself for Atticus Finch's fall from grace.

Hey CO...

fyi.. an interesting article from the NewYorker .... https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/12/17/the-contested-legacy-of-atticus-finch

Any plans to try seeing the play?

On 9/15/2018 at 2:25 PM, Mistress Kang said:

What is your favorite book to movie/show adaptation? Is it better than the book? Why?

Dear Ms Kang:

Shogun by James Clavell. Saw the TV Mini-Series first and fell in love with Lady Toda Buntaro played by Yoko Shimada. Later read the novel. The film was reasonably true to the novel but the visual rendition of the story far surpassed the written words. I could never have fallen in love with her without seeing her beauty and grace.

Some years ago I told my Japanese daughter that Yoko Shimada WAS beautiful. She responded by saying "She still is." Opinionated little bastard but she's my bastard.

Dannyboy

On 12/17/2018 at 9:08 PM, franknot said:

Hey CO...

fyi.. an interesting article from the NewYorker .... https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/12/17/the-contested-legacy-of-atticus-finch

Any plans to try seeing the play?

Nah.  Scout is played by someone who's 30.  Which is to start by taking the essential power of the story - how evil looks to children and to what extent can adults can guide them - and throwing it out the window.  Broadway, like Hollywood most of the time, is fundamentally lazy.  Brilliant, but lazy.

22 hours ago, ConsentOptional said:

Nah.  Scout is played by someone who's 30.  Which is to start by taking the essential power of the story - how evil looks to children and to what extent can adults can guide them - and throwing it out the window.  Broadway, like Hollywood most of the time, is fundamentally lazy.  Brilliant, but lazy.

I mentioned this in another post, but it's worth repeating.   The HBO series of "My Brilliant Friend" is an excellent adaptation of the novels.  It is in Italian with subtitles but is better for it. .. the casting is great, all unknown Italian actors .. the actress who plays Lila, during her teenage years, is compelling.