Little Pleasures

Mistress Kang

What are the little pleasures of your day that you're grateful for? One of the things I enjoy is seeing is the gaggle of old Chinese grannies sitting on the step in front of the bakery near my house. They just hang out there, eating baos (or something), sometimes in groups, sometimes solo. They remind me of my granny.

Edit: The Chinese grandpas are down the block at the park playing Chinese Checkers for moolah LOL

A few weeks ago, I spent a Sunday afternoon sitting around my apartment eating takeout and watching YouTube videos of "speed runners," people playing old video games and using glitches and tricks to try to break world records for speed.  (For example, there are people who competitively play Super Mario Brothers over and over for hours trying to shave one second off of their personal best time.)  That segued into watching TWO people playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! live, BLINDFOLDED, and trying to see who would win first.  When they were both BLINDFOLDED.

This isn't a normal activity for me, but that week I had just met a super-stressful work deadline that had seen me putting in a bunch of extra hours on weekends.  And having time free to take a day and completely fuck off and accomplish nothing felt INCREDIBLE.

(Though maybe I should have taken the time and written a session review, as I am sessioning tomorrow and have failed to review my last two sessions, even though both were awesome!)

19 hours ago, Mistress Kang said:

What are you eating and reading and listening to??

Of late..

Eating = French chorizo and eggs protein fest or Rey’s recommended breakfast burrito and an açaí bowl with coffee and kombucha.

Reading = Biz strategy, Cleantech innovation, psychology of sexuality or latest chapter in kink related novel I’m debating whether to actually write and publish. Or if in chastity I might sneakily browse Tumblr for some in public tease and denial.

Listening to = Junior boys, Jazz or anything that tunes out the other people in the restaurant. 

Living in walking distance to everything is my simple pleasure. The walk to the local bookstore is so beautiful. I pass a lot of treelined streets, cute restaurants and parks. Seeing an iconic skyline of New York in the distance. Picking out some new books, putting music at home  and getting lost in some other stimulating universe in my quiet apartment. 

For whatever reason, on Fridays after work I've fallen into a pattern of putting on an online recording of gentle rain noise that is used for napping.  It ends with a soft alarm sound and you can get 20, 30, 45 and 60 minutes versions.  With that I conk out on my couch.  It's a great way to start a weekend.

This is really nice, thank you, HMJK, I'm really enjoying the responses.

Yesterday I stopped along my walk to watch the squirrels in Tompkins square park bury nuts for the winter. (If you've never seen them pat down the earth with their little hands, I highly recommend giving it a few minutes, it's fascinating and adorable.) I'm grateful for the little moments in the animal kingdom I get to spy as I walk around the city.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 10:33 PM, Mistress Rey said:

Living in walking distance to everything is my simple pleasure. The walk to the local bookstore is so beautiful. I pass a lot of treelined streets, cute restaurants and parks. Seeing an iconic skyline of New York in the distance. Picking out some new books, putting music at home  and getting lost in some other stimulating universe in my quiet apartment. 

Your simple pleasures speak volumes...  reading,walking, appreciating your world, returning to your cozy nest ... some aimless wool gathering too i'll bet.   

Sounds like you treasure your peace, quiet and privacy despite the very social circumstances of your day to day life.  A delicate balance that i'm sure you manage well.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:08 PM, questionmarks said:

Yesterday I stopped along my walk to watch the squirrels in Tompkins square park bury nuts for the winter. (If you've never seen them pat down the earth with their little hands, I highly recommend giving it a few minutes, it's fascinating and adorable.) I'm grateful for the little moments in the animal kingdom I get to spy as I walk around the city.

You would've enjoyed an old squirrel buddy of mine named "Lefty", who lived in a huge oak tree in my neighbors back yard a couple of seasons ago.. he only had one small hand for patting (the left one of course) but he was clever.  (so clever, ..now that i think of it, .. he was probably a she).

I would wave at her (?) from my second floor deck to get her attention, and then throw her shelled walnuts.  Before long she would hear the screen door sliding open and run to her favorite hiding spot to avoid the competition of her faster, 4 legged pals.

On 10/9/2018 at 12:08 PM, questionmarks said:

Squirrel watching is endlessly entertaining. I used to watch them find sneaky ways to get to my bird feeders when I had a front yard, I never tired of watching them and they never tired of trying to steal bird seed. Eventually I got a squirrel feeder just for them :) 

Each day when I get home my dog, who is just over 15lbs and usually perched on the back of the couch watching the street, bounds down to the floor and tear-asses the length of my unit, finishing with a leap onto my bed where she waits from me to come and scratch her belly.  No matter what kind of crappy-assed day I've had, I get this little show.  Adopted her just over a year ago from a kill shelter down south.  She had heartworm so she didn't have a lot of time left from their POV.  Completely healthy these days.  And now she puts on this magnificent little show just for me every day; like I am returning from Mars or something.

She also steps on my balls at the drop of a hat and pisses on my clothes if I am inattentive or working late too often.  I seem to have the same effect on the entire female population, canine and otherwise.