Muay Thai!

Mistress Ahn

Each of us lovely mistresses have our own methods for maintaining our dazzling physiques.

For Jessy and Vu its Bikram

For Seung it's hitting the gym (and maybe bikrim as well)

For Zhoa its yoga

For Choi (I think shes actually just naturally that hot.. damn her! jk) she might go to the gym sometimes?

Now I've tried yoga, including bikrim and its just not for me.

Guess I'm just not cut out for nirvana.

I've gone to the gym, but really, how boring!

I've even tried belly dancing. Thats when I learned that I have no coordination.

So last week I decided to go to a muay thai class. It may have been the most grueling, painful, "thought I may pass out, vomit simultaneously" experience of my life... and I LOVE IT.

Has anyone else taken muay thai?

Each of us lovely mistresses have our own methods for maintaining our dazzling physiques.

For Jessy and Vu its Bikram

For Seung it's hitting the gym (and maybe bikrim as well)

For Zhoa its yoga

For Choi (I think shes actually just naturally that hot.. damn her! jk) she might go to the gym sometimes?

Now I've tried yoga, including bikrim and its just not for me.

Guess I'm just not cut out for nirvana.

I've gone to the gym, but really, how boring!

I've even tried belly dancing. Thats when I learned that I have no coordination.

So last week I decided to go to a muay thai class. It may have been the most grueling, painful, "thought I may pass out, vomit simultaneously" experience of my life... and I LOVE IT.

Has anyone else taken muay thai?

Hi Mistress Ahn,

While I've never taken a Muay Thai class, I have seen them. They're similar to other Kick Box-It classes that I regularly attended between 1998 and 2004. You're right, they're great fun. I may have an opportunity to instruct at at a club that offers these classes and might give them a try again.

As for the gym being boring, you're right again. While I've lifted weights in gyms for many years sometimes you get in a rut and dread going. Everyone, especially women, need something to help with bone density, especially as we age. What you need is a brief, whole body, high intensity workout. I have a program that I developed for myself and tailored it to fit my clients needs and equipment availability. This workout can be completed in under 20 minutes if you don't dilly dally or start talking in the gym (my workout yesterday took 18 minutes even though someone interrupted me with some small talk).

The routine works large muscle groups first, then small ones using push-pull techniques and slow controlled form, 2 -3 times a week Every 3-4 months you take 7-10 days off.

If you have any interest I can send you a copy (3 pages) with all the information, or I can leave it at the Fortress next time I go. Give it a try, you won't have time to get bored.

Ray

P.S. Hmmmm, this may be a mistake. You'll get stronger and hit us harder LOL.

I believe I saw a show on either TLC or the Military Channel on Muay Thai. It looks very dmanding and painful, alot of bone on bone contact...you must not bruise easily and be extremely TUFF!

Mustanggt,

I think what you saw was training for full contact competition. A class setting would be movement with kicks, punches, and blocks without contact or contact with a bag or "striking dummy"

Ray

Mistress Ahn,

The thought of you fighting and training is too much to process. So while I reboot my mental systems why don't I tell you about my experience in the field. (Especially since this is a response to your question..)

I took a course of Muay Thai because I wanted to see how an Asian martial art could compare to my first and foremost training, Krav Maga. Needless to say, I got kicked out of class on the first day for being "unnecessarily rough" which arose because I deployed a preemptive attack as my sparring partner (more experienced than I) did a kata of some sorts. Really its not my fault since the teacher did say "Begin" right before he started doing fancy arm movements. If he was intent on sparring then he wouldn't have shown off. Still, you need to look hard to find such an effective pwning in mere seconds :lol: .

-Monokuro

Mistress Ahn,

I've heard such amazing things from a lot of my male model friends about the benefits of muay thai - "best, most intense workout EVER!" Even my bagel guy is a muay thai devotee. I've actually been curious about it, but I'm afraid of getting my ass beat! It is, though, a terribly appropriate form of exercise for this career path :-D

Side note: I wish I could do nothing to stay in shape! Unfortunately, I love food way too much, but I am blessed with lots of personal trainer friends. Now, if only I could make the gym less boring...

Mistress Ahn,

I've heard such amazing things from a lot of my male model friends about the benefits of muay thai - "best, most intense workout EVER!" Even my bagel guy is a muay thai devotee. I've actually been curious about it, but I'm afraid of getting my ass beat! It is, though, a terribly appropriate form of exercise for this career path :-D

Side note: I wish I could do nothing to stay in shape! Unfortunately, I love food way too much, but I am blessed with lots of personal trainer friends. Now, if only I could make the gym less boring...

I think your friends are right! I took a poke at her abs yesterday and they're ROCK HARD LOL like a thin layer of flesh over concrete LOL

mustanggt:

Yea, I'm hoping there wont be any broken bones just yet. Maybe when I advance to a sparring/ clinching class. Ooo I will be absolutely terrifying! Lol. But I am a tough cookie, and a few bumps and bruises only make me want to train harder. ;)

Woffy:

I would love your workout regimen! It would give me something to do in my "oh god the pain! WHY OH WHY do I subject myself to this self inflicted torture?" time between classes. ha! Oh and there are no "striking dummies" in our classes. We DO practice on each other. I actually got kicked in the crotch last class, and currently have a bruise that's slowly fading. :(

monokuro:

HAHAHAHA! Sounds like that guy deserved it! Serves him right for his macho posturing. I hope to eventually perfect the split-second-pwn-job. harhar.

live2service:

I miss your beard. :twisted:

akiravn1:

Oh man, who needs nirvana when you ARE nirvana?! :lol:

I had been a serious devotee of Muay Thai for about five years. (I have been doing other martial arts for the past several years) I even studied a little bit when I was in Thailand. I will say this: the depth of the art is far beyond what many people would believe. There is a lot to Muay Thai that is not taught commonly taught publicly. The intricacies of the clinch are stunning and the ability to control and manipulate the body via the "Thai plum" is a lot different than other clinching methods. Probably the most unique aspects to Muay Thai is the attacks on the nerves. Some assume that all the attacks to the leg solely impact larger mass areas but this is not the case. The ability to pinpoint the nerves on the leg with small fractions of the shin is a skill long time ring practioners can do very well. A few shots to the nerves on the leg can make mobility next to impossible. The precision required to do this is really amazing. (No, I do not have such skill...lol) There are a lot of subtleties many are not aware of. When you see a lot of the shin blocks, many wonder why no one is screaming from the "bone on bone" contact. It is because a lot of the contact is not even contact. The incoming foot can be hooked upwards and moved slightly off its trajectory so that the impact is completely difused. The timing needed to do this is stunning. Honestly, the really great Thai boxing people in Thailand, the US, the Netherlands, and the UK are really amazing.