Places to find toys

Zadok

My girlfriend and I are heading up to NYC next weekend and we were wondering if there were any good places to pick up some fetish gear. Usually when we run across a sex shop the items seem to be fairly low quality, something someone would buy as a gag gift for a bachelorette party. We are looking for high quality paddles, riding crops and floggers for serious play. I would imagine that there has to be some shop in NYC that has what we are looking for. On the off chance there isn't anything out there, could anyone recommend a decent online store that they have had some success with. I would be extremely thankful.

Zadok

The Leather Man on Christifer St. in the W. Village has a wide asortment of high quality gear for serious S&m players. I visit everytime I am in NYC. Purple Passion/DV8 on 211 West 20th Street

also has some good quality stuff.

Good luck with your shopping,

LW

My girlfriend and I are heading up to NYC next weekend and we were wondering if there were any good places to pick up some fetish gear. Usually when we run across a sex shop the items seem to be fairly low quality, something someone would buy as a gag gift for a bachelorette party. We are looking for high quality paddles, riding crops and floggers for serious play. I would imagine that there has to be some shop in NYC that has what we are looking for. On the off chance there isn't anything out there, could anyone recommend a decent online store that they have had some success with. I would be extremely thankful.

I'll second both of the stores that leatherwings mentioned. Purple Passion (211 West 20th Street) carries high quality products, and the owner Hilton is a longtime supporter of the NYC fetish community. He was one of the first people I met at TES many years ago. Staff member Lolita is another TES veteran who has been very helpful to me during my shopping excursions. And you'll notice some Fortress fliers near the front door which will make you feel right at home. :)

It's been many years since I last visited The Leather Man (111 Christopher Street) but this is an excellent destination for the kind of S/M gear you are looking for. Primarily a gay male store but you'll feel comfortable there.

Babeland (two Manhattan locations and one in Park Slope, Brooklyn) is a very woman-friendly environment. I bought my first pair of leather cuffs from them.

There are many good online stores but I'll mention one of my favorite small vendors: Leather by Danny, in Boston. He makes some unique bondage gear and is a strong supporter of the community. I've been very happy with the items I've purchased from him and try to direct business his way.

I look forward to reading other people's recommendations.

Leatherman is definetely a great location. Purple passion is great too and unfortunately the only place for fetish clothes for women unless you count the Baroness. I think she are on 13th between avenue B and A. Look online for the hours which can be limited.

Leatherman has the best selection of outrageously huge toys from square peg. Something to pick up and bring back in your checked bags though as TSA will really enjoy the "image" on their screens. I have bought a few over the years to expand my boundaries.