Vacation Ideas

Guest Mistress Kang

Guest Mistress Kang

This year I've decided to save up my vacation time and experience the EuroTrail some time in late December. I plan to visit at least 3 countries- France, Italy and Germany (maybe Netherlands, Spain or England), for at least 2-3 days each.

If you have any experience with the EuroTrail or recommended of places of interest (rooming, restaurants, sightseeing, etc), travel tips at all- please do share! ;-) I'll be sure to take a pic of me (should I end up) *there* ;-))) Thanks guys!!

This year I've decided to save up my vacation time and experience the EuroTrail some time in late December. I plan to visit at least 3 countries- France, Italy and Germany (maybe Netherlands, Spain or England), for at least 2-3 days each.

If you have any experience with the EuroTrail or recommended of places of interest (rooming, restaurants, sightseeing, etc), travel tips at all- please do share! ;-) I'll be sure to take a pic of me (should I end up) *there* ;-))) Thanks guys!!

Hi Jessy,

Yes, I can give you some tips, but it depends on what you are searching for. Just a regular tourist trip (then late December is not the best timing, most parts of Europe are cold and less beautiful and cosy, though there is the christmas atmosphere, in particular in the large cities) or a bit naughty, then you have to visit, for instance, Barcelona and Amsterdam (one of the 3 cities of sin, with Bangkok and Las Vegas, and some tourists don't believe what they see).

Germany is not that nice in winter, only Berlin might be nice (entschuldigung, German readers), Italy is certainly nice (Rome, Venice, Florence, Siena), France (Paris, but in December in particular the south as it is warmer (Nice, Cannes, Saint Tropez) an my favorite city is Barcelona (olá) in Spain. Of course, there is a lot to do in London, also very nice in December.

I can give you more detailed tips, if I know what you want.

BTW thanks for the tips in Beijing

Robbie

I enjoy to travel during the christmas but that is because I hate the christmas and I like to get away from it.

Then I usually go to a warm place where they don`t celebrate christmas, like Thailand.

I`ve done inter rail across Europe many times but never during the winter, always in the spring and summer.

If I went on inter rail in the winter I would go to the south of Europe, Portugal, Spain and southern Italy and try to stay away from the snow.

Those countries are also less expensive than the north of Europe.

December is a nice time to go to Europe, since it is offpeak and there aren't too many tourists around.

Germany might be a bit cold at that time, but southern Europe is always wonderful in the winter. I would highly recommend Italy or the southern coast of Spain. Venice has some wonderful architecture, but it's been turned into a tourist-trap, which detracts a bit from the city. Rome is probably my favorite city, been there a couple of times and have always had a great time. The Roman ruins are just fantastic and extremely well-kept, the food is really good, and the atmosphere is very friendly. In the winter it is still warm and easily walkable. There's so much to do and see there - I usually like to sleep late on vacation, but I was always up and out early to walk the city in Rome. The southern coast of Spain has some really nice places to visit - Alicante comes to mind. I've never been to Bacelona, but I hear it's a fantastic place to visit with lots of night life. Madrid is also a really nice place to visit, very friendly.

If your thinking of the railways, I once did a trip from Vienna to Venice by rail - took us through the Alps. It took all day, but the scenery was beautiful.

Hope this helps - I can give you more details if you want as your vacation approaches :)

Mistress Kang,

I have never traveled through Europe by train (other than one short trip), but I have heard through friends that it is very reliable and convenient.

In terms of locations:

France - Paris is a city that you can spend weeks exploring. Culturally it has several stunning churches (Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, St. Chapelle, and more). It also has many amazing galleries (The Louvre of course, Musee D'Orsay, the Medieval Museum, Rodin Museum, etc) and other interesting sites (Pere LaChaise cemetary, the catacombs, the Pantheon, Hotel des Invalides, etc). The shopping is fantastic with several amazing shopping districts (Champs Elysees, the Marais, St.Germain, Galeries Lafayette, etc). Lastly it is really hard to go wrong in terms of food and restaurants. If you have more specific interests in Paris, I can likely offer some suggestions. I do, also, recommend a trip to Versailles.

Italy - a fantastic country. I have visited Rome, Sorrento, Florence, and Venice. Rome was when I was very young, so I can only offer broad suggestions, same with Sorrento. Venice was around 10 years ago, but I can certainly offer suggestions for places to see. And Florence was within the last five years, so I can offer more details for that city.

Germany - I haven't been to Germany for any notable length of time, so I am not much help for this country.

Netherlands - visited Amsterdam in the last month for four nights, so there are many suggestions I can offer to you if this does end up on your itinerary.

As your itinerary begins to take shape, please let me know what cities and type of suggestions you would like and I will offer whatever assistance I can.

Sartori