WAIL: When Art Imitates Life

The most outstanding example of WAIL I've found in my life and my photos is this:

I took this picture in Shenzhen when I visited China in May 2008-

Life.jpg

Then I went to see a Murakami Exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum in July of 2008 and took these pics, but only matched them up months, maybe even years later. He's one of my favorite artists :D

Murakami.jpg

Murakami2.JPG

Pretty cool huh? :D

The most outstanding example of WAIL I've found in my life and my photos is this:

post-18073-0-66910100-1342573171_thumb.jpg

Then I went to see a Murakami Exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum in July of 2008 and took these pics, but only matched them up months, maybe even years later. He's one of my favorite artists :D

The Kang balls' origin? :D

I like those dolls, like they are build with you as a model.

Murakami is Japanese right?

post-18073-0-18346400-1342572789_thumb.jpg

post-18073-0-87017300-1342573054_thumb.jpg

Dear Ms. Kang,

pretty cool is what just came to my mind as well...

btw...the third picture pretty much looks like the official mascot of the

2014 Winter Olympics...

:D Thanks EdgarAH :D

Here are a couple more of his awesome work:

post-18073-0-46493100-1342590659_thumb.jpg

post-18073-0-16897800-1342590718_thumb.jpg

"Chaos, Control, Chaos, Control. You like? You like?"

I like Jessy, you know what I was wondering? What that mom on the bottom photo told the little girl what the character statue was doing. Was that some sort of raygun? ;)

post-18073-0-18346400-1342572789_thumb.jpg

post-18073-0-87017300-1342573054_thumb.jpg

Extremely cool :)

"Things outside you are projections of what's inside you, and what's inside you is a projection of what's outside. So when you step into the labyrinth outside you, at the same time you're stepping into the labyrinth inside." 

- Murakami

Different artist, as brilliant tho!

"Things outside you are projections of what's inside you, and what's inside you is a projection of what's outside. So when you step into the labyrinth outside you, at the same time you're stepping into the labyrinth inside."

- Murakami

Different artist, as brilliant tho!

Kafka on the Shore!!!!!!

I am in love with all Murakamis!

Alex, thanks for sharing this, it makes me happy to see you quoting one of my favorite writers.

Mistress Tran and I were reminiscing about you the other day. We miss you!!

Hi miss Zhao! I hope it was some fun recollection :-)

I just read Kafka on the shore after a friend told me about Murakami; it's crazy fun, interesting and put you to think. I had to read pages two - three times to grasp what was meant :).

I'm spending my last months in Houston now and then moving (back) to NYC. So if you have a bad hair day, im soon ready to brush again ;-)

To end with another quote of Murakami that really made impact on me;

"Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before dawn. Why? Because this storm isn't something that blew in from far away, something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you. Something inside of you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn't get in, and walk through it, step by step. There's no sun there, no moon, no direction, no sense of time. Just fine white sand swirling up into the sky like pulverized bones. That's the kind of sandstorm you need to imagine. 

An you really will have to make it through that violent, metaphysical, symbolic storm. No matter how metaphysical or symbolic it might be, make no mistake about it: it will cut through flesh like a thousand razor blades. People will bleed there, and you will bleed too. Hot, red blood. You'll catch that blood in your hands, your own blood and the blood of others. 

And once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about." 

Hi miss Zhao! I hope it was some fun recollection :smile:

I just read Kafka on the shore after a friend told me about Murakami; it's crazy fun, interesting and put you to think. I had to read pages two - three times to grasp what was meant :).

I'm spending my last months in Houston now and then moving (back) to NYC. So if you have a bad hair day, im soon ready to brush again :wink:

To end with another quote of Murakami that really made impact on me;

"Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions. You change direction but the sandstorm chases you. You turn again, but the storm adjusts. Over and over you play this out, like some ominous dance with death just before dawn. Why? Because this storm isn't something that blew in from far away, something that has nothing to do with you. This storm is you. Something inside of you. So all you can do is give in to it, step right inside the storm, closing your eyes and plugging up your ears so the sand doesn't get in, and walk through it, step by step. There's no sun there, no moon, no direction, no sense of time. Just fine white sand swirling up into the sky like pulverized bones. That's the kind of sandstorm you need to imagine.

An you really will have to make it through that violent, metaphysical, symbolic storm. No matter how metaphysical or symbolic it might be, make no mistake about it: it will cut through flesh like a thousand razor blades. People will bleed there, and you will bleed too. Hot, red blood. You'll catch that blood in your hands, your own blood and the blood of others.

And once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure, in fact, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about."

alex,

I love that you've chosen to quote his most metaphoric and paradoxical passages. The conversations between Kafka and Oshima were some of my favorites because they were both so insightful and open with each other.

Also, these are quotes I relate the most to right now in my life. Inner reflection and unfolding.

I hope to get to see you soon now that you'll be back! My hair has been in endless tangles after you left, especially after taking a ride in a convertible to the beach today!

Very sensual work, love it. Hadn't heard of him before. Thanks for these shots. Curious, do you have any with you standing next to his work?

He's a fun Japanese artist, but like most artists (or so it seems) he gives off a "sad-clown" vibe to me :( I don't have any of me next to his work, I was overly-occupied with snapping away at the sexy anime and happy-cuteness!