Do Platonic Relationships Truly Exist?

This whole thread is fascinating and, as always, I am deeply impressed with the Mistresses' insights. But--a point of curiousity: I believe that there has been a generational change in the attitude between men and women: those of us who are "Boomers" can't imagine a man and a woman sharing a bed without their being sex involved. We surely remember the older generation--WW2, for instance--getting all hot and sweaty just looking at Rita Hayworth's legs. And yet--a friend of mine, also a Boomer--told me that I was simply wrong when I relayed to him that a close female relative of 16, on touring Europe, met an English boy on a train and the two split the cost of a hotel room--and nothing happened. The relative had written about it in her letters and I--apparently--was the only one who thought that surely there must have been some "hanky-panky". My friend told me--and I have since become convinced--that those born in the 1980's and younger, simply take a far more relaxed view. Males feel no obligation to "make a pass" at every female to prove their masculinity and females simply don't see establishing their attraction to the opposite sex rates as highly as other aspects in their lives.

Am I as "out of it" as Ronald Reagan was when he referred to women as the "superior sex"?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do not hang out with a lot females like I do my guy friends, the few female friends i do have, I usually have fun with at parties. We'd drink and just have fun talking or watching a movie. It's not that I don't find them sexually appealing, but usually they are in a relationship, so I can't really do anything about that. There are also the females at my LARP (live action role play) that I just mingle with occassionally. So the short of it is, yes, I do believe it's possible to have a platonic relationship between members of the opposite sex.