Happy October 1st!

1 hour ago, Mistress Von Dietz said:

I’ve seen it. Loved!! 
This was after my failed attempt of reading The Shining.  For no other reason than that it was just giving me terrible nightmares like nothing ever before, I had to put it down & return to the movies!! 

Doctor Sleep is about the son from the Shining all grown up. The trailer doesn't look good though. 

On 10/1/2019 at 11:32 PM, Mistress Von Dietz said:

It really is the most wonderful time of the Year.. ?

Truly hoping that I have more “drugged up bitten vampire” or “crazy medical Frankenstein” sessions around this Halloween, just for MY amusement.. ?

Beginning the 1st of October with Kubrick’s ‘The Shining’, whilst sipping a lovely mulled wine.  

Any great recommendations for new/old horror movies??  I watch 1-2 every single night the entire month.  

Happy October Everyone!

MVD

MVD! 

I'm a huge horror movie fanatic -- a good horror movie really stimulates the senses, makes you uncomfortable, and of course, scares you!  Here are some of my recommendations in no particular order. These will mostly be fairly modern horror films as I'm sure you've already seen the classics like The Shining, The Thing, Halloween, Alien, ect. 

Hereditary (2018) - After the family matriarch passes away, disturbing and tragic events plague the family that unveils the family's mysterious ancestry. I would say this is my generation's Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby in the sense that it heavily borrows from those two films right down to the final scene. Combines a lot of tension and imagery with the cinematography to really make it an immersive film. It's both hard to watch and impossible to look away from. The spectrum of emotions range from sorrow, utter helplessness, and complete terror. Picks at the human psyche in all the right ways while also examining familial relationships in a deeper level. 

It Follows (2014)  - The premise is really simple - some thing follows you. I mean it literally walks towards you wherever you are and it will not stop, and if it catches you, you'll die in a horrific manner. You can't kill it, it takes on different forms, it's semi-intelligent, oh, and I forgot to mention, the curse is passed on through sexual encounters. It's an indie film with a fairly slow pace with almost 0 special effects. Borrows heavily from 70s/80s horror films. I thought the first half was much stronger than the latter half, but I think it's a much watch for horror fans. 

Ready or Not (2019) - I came into the theater with very low expectations, but it pleasantly surprised me with how much fun I had watching it. If you liked Cabin in the Woods you'll absolutely love this as it also is a satirical take on horror films with certain elements being much more fleshed out. It's pretty much a dark comedy hide and seek where a newly wed bride has to partake in her new family's strange, age old tradition. The catch? If they find you, they'll kill you. Very morbid, very suspenseful, funny, with great dialogue and characters. I think you'll love the lead actress and part of the fun is you find yourself really rooting for her to survive. Brings out the childish sense of fear and anticipation you got from playing hide and seek when you were younger and amplifies it times 10. But if you're turned off by gross exaggeration of violence, this might not be the movie for you.

Midsommar (2019) - From IMDB - "A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult." The director does an incredible job of making you feel profound despair and gut-wrenching grief. If you love good cinematography in horror films, this is the film for you. The visuals are gorgeous, grotesque, but absolutely beautiful at the same time with the ambient sounds just adding to it. Slow, methodical, and eerie. 

Train to Busan (2016) - By Korean director Sang-Ho Yeon. A father and a daughter boards KTX, which is a fast train that will bring them from Seoul to Busan. During their trip, an apocalypse begins, and most of the population become zombies. Let me say that I'm not particularly a fan of the zombie/apocalypse genre and most films in that genre turn me off. But this one was different in the sense that the character development of someone who is in the middle of an active zombie apocalypse felt genuine and tense. The fact that the breakout happens in a claustrophobic place like a train gives it the extra tension and the survival instincts of the characters feel very real. A strong point of this movie is that the juxtaposition of a fast moving train with the outbreak spreading from car to car made the action scenes that much more impactful. A criticism I have for the film is that many of the plot points are predictable. 

Raw (2016) - A fairly recent French-Belgian horror-drama movie. I believe an alternative title is Grave. I was waiting for this movie to come out since it's announcement and my expectations were generally met! I might have been a little too hyped as the ending felt a little weak. Pretty much follows a young vegetarian's first year at veterinary school when she tastes meat for the first time and develops a craving for flesh. Pacing is great, beautiful cinematography, and plenty of mayhem (and sex, which is very crucial to the symbolism of the movie) before any sort of cannibalism arises. Might be the wicked French humor at play here. The over-the-top blend of eroticism/cannibalism coupled with its aggressive female sexuality is bold, funny, and terrifying. Great pacing, beautiful cinematography, and STRONG FEMALE EMPOWERMENT ALL AROUND. "Fuck yeah" for the first amazing cannibalism movie in a long time.

These are just films off the top of my head in recent memory -- Hope you enjoy any or all of these films. Do let me know if you'd like more recommendations!

-D 

On 10/11/2019 at 11:06 PM, GDH94 said:

MVD! 

I'm a huge horror movie fanatic -- a good horror movie really stimulates the senses, makes you uncomfortable, and of course, scares you!  Here are some of my recommendations in no particular order. These will mostly be fairly modern horror films as I'm sure you've already seen the classics like The Shining, The Thing, Halloween, Alien, ect. 

Hereditary (2018) - After the family matriarch passes away, disturbing and tragic events plague the family that unveils the family's mysterious ancestry. I would say this is my generation's Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby in the sense that it heavily borrows from those two films right down to the final scene. Combines a lot of tension and imagery with the cinematography to really make it an immersive film. It's both hard to watch and impossible to look away from. The spectrum of emotions range from sorrow, utter helplessness, and complete terror. Picks at the human psyche in all the right ways while also examining familial relationships in a deeper level. 

It Follows (2014)  - The premise is really simple - some thing follows you. I mean it literally walks towards you wherever you are and it will not stop, and if it catches you, you'll die in a horrific manner. You can't kill it, it takes on different forms, it's semi-intelligent, oh, and I forgot to mention, the curse is passed on through sexual encounters. It's an indie film with a fairly slow pace with almost 0 special effects. Borrows heavily from 70s/80s horror films. I thought the first half was much stronger than the latter half, but I think it's a much watch for horror fans. 

Ready or Not (2019) - I came into the theater with very low expectations, but it pleasantly surprised me with how much fun I had watching it. If you liked Cabin in the Woods you'll absolutely love this as it also is a satirical take on horror films with certain elements being much more fleshed out. It's pretty much a dark comedy hide and seek where a newly wed bride has to partake in her new family's strange, age old tradition. The catch? If they find you, they'll kill you. Very morbid, very suspenseful, funny, with great dialogue and characters. I think you'll love the lead actress and part of the fun is you find yourself really rooting for her to survive. Brings out the childish sense of fear and anticipation you got from playing hide and seek when you were younger and amplifies it times 10. But if you're turned off by gross exaggeration of violence, this might not be the movie for you.

Midsommar (2019) - From IMDB - "A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult." The director does an incredible job of making you feel profound despair and gut-wrenching grief. If you love good cinematography in horror films, this is the film for you. The visuals are gorgeous, grotesque, but absolutely beautiful at the same time with the ambient sounds just adding to it. Slow, methodical, and eerie. 

Train to Busan (2016) - By Korean director Sang-Ho Yeon. A father and a daughter boards KTX, which is a fast train that will bring them from Seoul to Busan. During their trip, an apocalypse begins, and most of the population become zombies. Let me say that I'm not particularly a fan of the zombie/apocalypse genre and most films in that genre turn me off. But this one was different in the sense that the character development of someone who is in the middle of an active zombie apocalypse felt genuine and tense. The fact that the breakout happens in a claustrophobic place like a train gives it the extra tension and the survival instincts of the characters feel very real. A strong point of this movie is that the juxtaposition of a fast moving train with the outbreak spreading from car to car made the action scenes that much more impactful. A criticism I have for the film is that many of the plot points are predictable. 

Raw (2016) - A fairly recent French-Belgian horror-drama movie. I believe an alternative title is Grave. I was waiting for this movie to come out since it's announcement and my expectations were generally met! I might have been a little too hyped as the ending felt a little weak. Pretty much follows a young vegetarian's first year at veterinary school when she tastes meat for the first time and develops a craving for flesh. Pacing is great, beautiful cinematography, and plenty of mayhem (and sex, which is very crucial to the symbolism of the movie) before any sort of cannibalism arises. Might be the wicked French humor at play here. The over-the-top blend of eroticism/cannibalism coupled with its aggressive female sexuality is bold, funny, and terrifying. Great pacing, beautiful cinematography, and STRONG FEMALE EMPOWERMENT ALL AROUND. "Fuck yeah" for the first amazing cannibalism movie in a long time.

These are just films off the top of my head in recent memory -- Hope you enjoy any or all of these films. Do let me know if you'd like more recommendations!

-D 

First of all, HELLO it’s been a minute how are you?!  
Thank you for this detailed recommendation! 
Some of these I have seen, loved & watched several times.  Others I have never heard of. So glad you mentioned Train to Busan-it has been on my watch list for quite some time! 
You are fabulous at writing movie reviews btw. :) :) :) 
Hope to see you again around the Fortress my little Bunny! 

20 hours ago, Mistress Von Dietz said:

First of all, HELLO it’s been a minute how are you?!  
Thank you for this detailed recommendation! 
Some of these I have seen, loved & watched several times.  Others I have never heard of. So glad you mentioned Train to Busan-it has been on my watch list for quite some time! 
You are fabulous at writing movie reviews btw. :) :) :) 
Hope to see you again around the Fortress my little Bunny! 

Lol it’s only because no one else likes to watch horror movies with me so I turn into a pretentious critic in my head when I watch these alone.

Ooooo then definitely watch T-to-B first! I’m scouring through South Korean horror movies this month to see if there are any other good ones to add to my list — The Wailing is next on my to watch list. 

I’m making my way to the Fortress in a couple weeks for a “different” kind of session but it’s a weekend you’re not available, unfortunately! I’ll have to make it up to you the next time :) 

On 10/19/2019 at 12:19 PM, GDH94 said:

Lol it’s only because no one else likes to watch horror movies with me so I turn into a pretentious critic in my head when I watch these alone.

Ooooo then definitely watch T-to-B first! I’m scouring through South Korean horror movies this month to see if there are any other good ones to add to my list — The Wailing is next on my to watch list. 

I’m making my way to the Fortress in a couple weeks for a “different” kind of session but it’s a weekend you’re not available, unfortunately! I’ll have to make it up to you the next time :)

I watched Midsommer last eve & thought about your write up lol 

It was strange, intense & yes definitely going heavy on the unique cinematography. 
On another note, I was soooo disappointed when I found out that my schedule clashed with your visit! 
Please try to make it back soon so we can play. ?

MVD