Paranormal Activity.

Mistress Ahn

Yes, Akiravn1. (I pronounce your name Akee-raven-one, instead of A-caravan-one.) I cry all through Dead Ringers, one of my favorites. I'm an emotional freak when it comes to horror. And Jeremy Irons is so awesome in that. Basically I just call everything horror. It's easier that way. Like to see you have Audition on your list.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray,

For the most part, my favorite films revolve around certain director's whose style I admire. Dario Argento had quite a number of films in the horror genre, but Deep Red really stood out to me. Roman Polanski I felt had to be represented after turning out films like Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion and The Tenant. Some of his non horror films that I also enjoyed were Chinatown, Tess and The Pianist.

Lashee,

David Cronenberg is one of my favorite director's and Dead Ringers is my favorite film of his. He also had other films that could easily fit under this topic such as The Fly, Videodrome, Scanners and Existenz. Also like Polanski, he too had some non horror films which I enjoyed, such as, Crash, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises.

deanroberts:

OMG I agree Oldboy is possibly one of my fav korean movies of all time. Have you seen sympathy for mr. vengeance and sympathy for lady vengeance? Both amazing, though not as good as Oldboy. OOOH and 3 extremes!! Though it has nothing really to do with the other 3 movies. We just happened to be talking about it at the office today which is why I bring it up.

OLDBOY is definitely in my top 5 movies of all time, regardless of country it was made in. Seen it about 15 times. Twice in the theater. I own 4 versions of it on DVD. Yes, I've seen and own the two other Vengeance films. Lady Vengeance in the theater.

Incidentally, I read the script for the 2005 American remake than thankfully never happened. Get this -- they changed the gyoza to taquitos! Makes my brain hurt.

Have you seen Chanwook's newest movie yet? THIRST. Bloody vampire lust. It is beautiful, emotional, and funny. Comes on DVD in November, if you missed it, SEE IT!

Three Extremes. Own it. Definitely a mixed-bag of good/okay. The full length Dumplings, with the insane and wonderful Bai Ling, is pretty good.

Other good ones: Memories of Murder, R-Point. The Host, was disappointing.

You NEED to see 'Hausu". It is hard to find. I have a rip of a German DVD. It has English subs. If y'all have P.O. Box, I can send a copy. It is sheer pre-EVIL DEAD madness from 1977. Check out the trailer:

I could go on for pages. I own over 1,000 DVDs in all genres... Big time film geek. ;)

Dear Nistress ,

I agree with you about the movie, It was outstanding. My question is ,do you believe in paranormal activity,is it real ? I have spent a lot of time explaning my feelings to Mistress Kang. I have experienced real activity.I would like very much to speak to you about this.Before I get in trouble I better stop.Hope to hear your opinion I will work on seeing you.Spockme

I think the human mind is capable of making us believe incredible things.

OLDBOY is definitely in my top 5 movies of all time, regardless of country it was made in. Seen it about 15 times. Twice in the theater. I own 4 versions of it on DVD. Yes, I've seen and own the two other Vengeance films. Lady Vengeance in the theater.

Incidentally, I read the script for the 2005 American remake than thankfully never happened. Get this -- they changed the gyoza to taquitos! Makes my brain hurt.

Have you seen Chanwook's newest movie yet? THIRST. Bloody vampire lust. It is beautiful, emotional, and funny. Comes on DVD in November, if you missed it, SEE IT!

Three Extremes. Own it. Definitely a mixed-bag of good/okay. The full length Dumplings, with the insane and wonderful Bai Ling, is pretty good.

Other good ones: Memories of Murder, R-Point. The Host, was disappointing.

You NEED to see 'Hausu". It is hard to find. I have a rip of a German DVD. It has English subs. If y'all have P.O. Box, I can send a copy. It is sheer pre-EVIL DEAD madness from 1977. Check out the trailer:

I could go on for pages. I own over 1,000 DVDs in all genres... Big time film geek. ;)

REALLY? Taquitos? LOL... Oh, American remakes...

I havent seen memories of murder or R-Point

BUT I LOVED the Host!! Oh man, it was a really fun movie! Like a Korean Godzilla, but with more character development!

I'd LOVE if you sent Hausu, just email Jessy! It looks awesome! Thank you! :D:D:D:D:D

Its cool to be a film geek, I wish I had the patience to watch all the movies I want to watch.

Paranormal Activity = Domestic Blair Witch

Sorry, I have a hard time suspending my disbelief when I feel like the filmmakers are blatantly pulling my strings.

My favorite horror/suspense is still The Others.

I think thats the point of suspense thrillers though. To feel like the director is pulling your strings. I just think it was done very well in Paranormal Activity. I love looking around the theater and looking at everyone leaning forward or hiding partially behind their hands visibly holding their collective breath.

The Others? Really? With Nicole Kidman? With the M. Night Shyamalamadingdong-esque ending and no replay value whatsoever? I almost walked out of it when I saw it in theaters.

I guess we have totally different psychological aesthetics. I think that going into Paranormal Activity, I knew just about everything to expect, and that there was a lot of hype surrounding it, like having to request it at your local theater, etc. I admit that the suspense was thrilling for some, but maybe I was just spoiled by expectation..

The Others, to me, is a more romantic if not spooky narrative. Less mundane because of all the dark corners and twisted perspective. I don't really even consider The Others much of a horror tale. It's not the least big horrible ;)

One film that did catch me off-guard was the first half of The Descent.

I guess we have totally different psychological aesthetics. I think that going into Paranormal Activity, I knew just about everything to expect, and that there was a lot of hype surrounding it, like having to request it at your local theater, etc. I admit that the suspense was thrilling for some, but maybe I was just spoiled by expectation..

One film that did catch me off-guard was the first half of The Descent.

I agree about Paranormal. I wasn't scared in the least by it. Not enough happened. It felt like an hour of noises with little payoff. Plus, well lots of other stuff I won't go into to avoid spoilers.

Also agree about The Descent. The claustrophobia of the first half was incredible. Otherwise, the creatures were a little too Lord of the Rings.

I thought The Ring was scary, and The Skeleton Key was OK.

The ring? or ringu?

The Ring (2002) was good. Probably the best J-Horror remake.

Ringu was creepy too but not quite as effective here as it was in Japan. It came out there in 1988. Few people saw it in the theater. Most people that saw it did on VHS -- people passed around copies of the movie! Now that is creepy. I know someone who saw it that way. She was home, alone at night, living in Tokyo. Said it scared the shit out of her.

Mistresses Vu, Choi and Ahn:

i love all Your different reactions to horror! Mistress Vu, You're funny. That Blah! comment. And we all know the Mistress Choi type: no problem dishing it out, but try getting Her to a horror movie. Mistress, i would love to feel Your heartbeat through the heel of Your boot.

i saw Paranormal. It even made it out here to San Francisco! i liked it a lot. i don't think Horror has to be scary, at least not jumpy-scary. Look at "Let the Right One In." It's about being an outsider, being seduced and falling in love, even if it is with EVIL! i loved it, but how scary was it? It certainly had mood.

i think of all our sessions as Horror. Look how different they are, the different moods and paces, the building of tension, the quick violent terror, as well as the laid-back style of knowing exactly what is coming but who has the power to stop it? Do you want to jump OUT of your skin or be trapped INSIDE it?

Thank You, Mistresses of Fortress, for bringing us into Horror!

Mistresses Vu, Choi and Ahn:

i love all Your different reactions to horror! Mistress Vu, You're funny. That Blah! comment. And we all know the Mistress Choi type: no problem dishing it out, but try getting Her to a horror movie. Mistress, i would love to feel Your heartbeat through the heel of Your boot.

i saw Paranormal. It even made it out here to San Francisco! i liked it a lot. i don't think Horror has to be scary, at least not jumpy-scary. Look at "Let the Right One In." It's about being an outsider, being seduced and falling in love, even if it is with EVIL! i loved it, but how scary was it? It certainly had mood.

i think of all our sessions as Horror. Look how different they are, the different moods and paces, the building of tension, the quick violent terror, as well as the laid-back style of knowing exactly what is coming but who has the power to stop it? Do you want to jump OUT of your skin or be trapped INSIDE it?

Thank You, Mistresses of Fortress, for bringing us into Horror!

I just saw Let the Right One In a few weeks ago!

(thank you Netflix Instant View)

It was so adorable. I'm so not into the whole vampire hype that's been going on since Twilight (grumble) came out. But I think that LTROI is def worth seeing.

I just saw Let the Right One In a few weeks ago!

(thank you Netflix Instant View)

It was so adorable. I'm so not into the whole vampire hype that's been going on since Twilight (grumble) came out. But I think that LTROI is def worth seeing.

I totally agree with you. It's interesting to see cultural differences in horror films. Oh, Swedes!

Some good recommendations on here. I'll add:

Suspiria

Bird with the Crystal Plumage

The Haunting ('63)

The Wicker Man ('73)

Andy Warhol's Dracula (hilariously daft)

Angel Heart (absurd, but incredibly moody)

OLDBOY (not a horror so much, but one of the best movies in the past 15 years)

Dead Ringers

The Fly ('86)

Videodrome

Hausu (aka HOUSE; Japanese movies from 1977; mind-blowing insanity)

Saw "The Haunting" when I was little. Scared the crap out of me.

Two more- Hostel and Hostel II.

Ray