New Yoga and Sadomasochism

Mistress Kang

Interesting. I have always viewed the BDSM experience as an exchange of Trust not sexual. The fact that the study shows the activity effects brain/blood flow through testing probably demonstrates a hidden benefit. Glad to see these types of studies being performed.

It doesn't surprise me that in a puritantincal society, BDSM would be considered "pathological". Thanks to science for showing its benefits. Like yoga or meditation, BDSM can help divert conscious thought away from the things in life that lead to negative feelings. I thought it was interesting that the shift in blood flow away from the executive control center of the brain was studied. Maybe it's just me, but isn't it obvious where the blood flows?! = )

I would never consider BDSM play pathological. The pathology would be.those who hurt others who aren't.willing.participants. I can believe it about people finding altered states through playing. It hasn't.happened for me,but I'm really not that serious a player. The frame of.mind.they describe is achieved when you can clear clutter from your mind and get relaxed through.breathing and exercise. The mind occupies so much energy that if you can find an activity that quiets the "committee" for a while your energy can flow to where it naturally needs to. I guess some can achieve this through bdsm.

Although It has only been a couple years I was involved with BDSM involving pain (at the FF), I definitely noticed an "altered state of mind" during sessioning, where I could endure more

"pain" than outside off a session setting. I believe it was the excitement, trust, and relationship with the mistress, and all focas was on that. Phisically, I guess that meant blood was directed to the

area of what the body perceived as pain (though to me it was a good sensual feeling) leaving less in the brain where things were altered. Emotionally, It was a good positive feeling, leading to a feeling of contentment, which lasts quite a while afterwords. I definitely believe it is not pathological, unless pain is inflicted on ones self or with another, where there is not a mutual enjoyment.

Don't know if you remember, even you seemed surprised at the degree of some particular pain you were giving me that i was asking for. I could never take that pain outside of our session!

Just my thoughts, Mistress Kang!

This doesn't surprise me, but it is nice to see they are studying it scientifically.

I have read much and written some on this forum about trying to achieve the "subspace" and it's effects. What I haven't read is an in depth, if any, accounting of the feeling the mistresses feel from their perspective. Is it as intense? do they have have to hold back to maintain control? I would expect different levels of intensity with different subs, but is the feeling the same? So many questions.

As a vanilla sub, my active BDSM is only .01% of my life. I feel the session as an extreme change for my daily routine and it really effects me. But being constrained by limited sessions and time I cannot fully experience to full BDSM lifestyle. Does the mistress get more benefit as they can live it openly, or does it mellow out as the daily routine does not change as drastically as the vanilla?

I would really love to hear from the mistresses on this one.