I saw Gone Girl last Friday and it's STILL haunting me.

This film was so well done. Dark. Satisfying. Obviously functions for a mainstream audience yet with art house appeal..

Made me wonder about a lot of things re: film/culture/media/psychology/values/mores

and draw connections between this and other seemingly unrelated pieces of media like The Bachelor/Bachelorette

I always saw that as a sociological lesson and a way in which the media manipulates our craving of values (i.e. family unit, love, purity) much like how a mainstream film does (story telling formula being, give them a value, take it away, the restore it at the end which is why you see so many story arcs w/ a family unit being destroyed then saved at the end- someone's love life being interrupted and finally, reuniting with the loved one)

In this case, we the audience, along w/ the main character and the community in the film are being manipulated the whole way through.

Anyone have any thoughts to share re: the movie itself, values, media consumption in society, or maybe just manipulation, as it applies to this film and in BDSM?

I haven't seen the movie yet, Mistress Fei, but I enjoyed the book. The trailers i've seen depict the book much as I imagined it. Although I envisioned the flipped ottoman to be larger.

I don't want to give any of the story away before everyone has a chance to see it. But these kind of stories and Dateline shows give me the willies. If anything like this happened to my wife and the police started looking into my activities, it wouldn't be long before they discovered my double-life.  I would be a prime suspect, Numero Uno! The media would take me down, all but one friend would abandon me. I would look just as guilty as Ben Affleck! 

I am very careful to keep my wife happy, healthy and safe. and with no life insurance policy

I saw Gone Girl last Friday and it's STILL haunting me.

This film was so well done. Dark. Satisfying. Obviously functions for a mainstream audience yet with art house appeal..

Made me wonder about a lot of things re: film/culture/media/psychology/values/mores

and draw connections between this and other seemingly unrelated pieces of media like The Bachelor/Bachelorette

I always saw that as a sociological lesson and a way in which the media manipulates our craving of values (i.e. family unit, love, purity) much like how a mainstream film does (story telling formula being, give them a value, take it away, the restore it at the end which is why you see so many story arcs w/ a family unit being destroyed then saved at the end- someone's love life being interrupted and finally, reuniting with the loved one)

In this case, we the audience, along w/ the main character and the community in the film are being manipulated the whole way through.

Anyone have any thoughts to share re: the movie itself, values, media consumption in society, or maybe just manipulation, as it applies to this film and in BDSM?

I haven't seen the movie yet, Mistress Fei, but I enjoyed the book. The trailers i've seen depict the book much as I imagined it. Although I envisioned the flipped ottoman to be larger.

I don't want to give any of the story away before everyone has a chance to see it. But these kind of stories and Dateline shows give me the willies. If anything like this happened to my wife and the police started looking into my activities, it wouldn't be long before they discovered my double-life.  I would be a prime suspect, Numero Uno! The media would take me down, all but one friend would abandon me. I would look just as guilty as Ben Affleck! 

I am very careful to keep my wife happy, healthy and safe. and with no life insurance policy

Bradley:

I know nothing of the book or movie yet the scenario to which you seem to allude grabs me as it grabs you. In my case there are proceeds via insurance and other means that would make me look guiltier than Bernie Madoff and perhaps meaner than Leona Helmsley. I would never harm a hair on her head and never finance my double-life with her money. By the same token I am worth more dead than alive - maybe I should look over my shoulder?

Dannyboy

By the same token I am worth more dead than alive - maybe I should look over my shoulder?

Dannyboy

Now you have me thinking, Dannyboy. I'm also am insured for my company. Henceforth, I will not be never be fired. I'll just be an unfortunate "accident "

My wife would be I trouble if something suspicious happened to me. With the discovery of my double life and the insurance she'd have plenty of motive.

Gone Girl was very enjoyable! That David Fincher, he can make a film!

But regarding mFei's inquiry of the sociological experiment of being manipulated through media..

We are all in this sociological experiment together. Even the ones who do not participate, which may be called the Control Group. But I believe that this manipulation is often to our benefit, as we continue to grow as humans who can see beyond the puppet show and sever our own strings to the detriment of the media moguls making millions off the sheep. But as the Control Group may be the ones who refuse to participate are left behind, it's the journey through the media circus that allows us to rise above and learn from it.

I see a return to widespread amateur media and hand-made goods. I see the media circus blowing its own fuse soon, too, as we return to the values that we all know to be true.

Well, I was sad to give them up for personal reasons. But, I was able to give them to someone very special to me who enjoyed it very much and that made me very happy.

But I will keep you in mind for next time :)

Dannyboy says, "I'm worth more dead than alive."

This is not a healthy thought.

Willy Loman felt the same way, and he ended up killing himself.

Maybe you should reconsider.

SlaveD:

I was referring to a financial calculation. No one who who benefit financially from my passing would wish me dead (or have me killed) for financial reasons. Those people love me dearly. Recently I experienced a severe emotional loss and never once thought of suicide.

Thanks for your concerns.

Dannyboy

Gone Girl was very enjoyable! That David Fincher, he can make a film!

But regarding mFei's inquiry of the sociological experiment of being manipulated through media..

We are all in this sociological experiment together. Even the ones who do not participate, which may be called the Control Group. But I believe that this manipulation is often to our benefit, as we continue to grow as humans who can see beyond the puppet show and sever our own strings to the detriment of the media moguls making millions off the sheep. But as the Control Group may be the ones who refuse to participate are left behind, it's the journey through the media circus that allows us to rise above and learn from it.

I see a return to widespread amateur media and hand-made goods. I see the media circus blowing its own fuse soon, too, as we return to the values that we all know to be true.

Interesting.. Very plato's cave.. & truman show 

Mistress Fei, have you finished the book yet?

It's great how faithful the movie is. Fincher really set a good tone. It could've gone the other way.

Good compromises too. I like how the lawyer in the movie combines two characters from the book.

If you like the sister in the film, you really should borrow/take an HBOGo login and watch the leftovers. She's great in that. Series is better than the novel.

-Jack

Mistress Fei, have you finished the book yet?

It's great how faithful the movie is. Fincher really set a good tone. It could've gone the other way.

Good compromises too. I like how the lawyer in the movie combines two characters from the book.

If you like the sister in the film, you really should borrow/take an HBOGo login and watch the leftovers. She's great in that. Series is better than the novel.

-Jack

Hi Jack, I haven't yet.. but I have found the film and the book to be very different. The film is from the male gaze while the book is written by a feminist writer. In the film, we can't quite identify w/ Amy as much, she's easily dismissed as crazy psycho bitch. In the book, we see her thought process, making her much more relatable. That to me makes ALL the difference.

thank you for your suggestion, i will check it out when i get a chance

Which two characters does the lawyer combine?

Hi Jack, I haven't yet.. but I have found the film and the book to be very different. The film is from the male gaze while the book is written by a feminist writer. In the film, we can't quite identify w/ Amy as much, she's easily dismissed as crazy psycho bitch. In the book, we see her thought process, making her much more relatable. That to me makes ALL the difference.

thank you for your suggestion, i will check it out when i get a chance

Which two characters does the lawyer combine?

I'll ruin it. The lawyer in the movie is black right? White in the book. But his wife is black.

They axed the female character and ascribed her race and some scenes to the male. I didn't think of it like that until you mentioned the male gaze thing. You're smart.

I'll ruin it. The lawyer in the movie is black right? White in the book. But his wife is black.

They axed the female character and ascribed her race and some scenes to the male. I didn't think of it like that until you mentioned the male gaze thing. You're smart.

interesting!!! yes the lawyer is tyler perry which adds another layer of complexity since he is tyler perry.. and in the film he very much directs ben affleck as to how to "act"

thank you for the compliment, that's very kind. i can't take full credit for the feminist/misogynist differences i noted re book/movie since a lot of the reviews delve into this difference too. reading some of them have informed my own ideas of the adaptation, although a lot of it is clear from even reading a few chapters of the book after seeing the movie. amy is more likable immediately. i felt more empathy for her. i felt nothing but disdain for her in the film.

• 1 month later...

I too saw the movie- just last night.  I haven't read the book but when I saw the trailer it looked like something that was a book first and sure enough that's what I found when I asked my good ol' friend Google.  

I have a feeling that the book might have done a better job wrapping up the ending than the movie did.  Good movie but I'll never know how I'd feel about it had I not already known it was a book first.  

I really want to see Theory of Everything- I can see how someone can fall in love and marry him.  He's brilliant, amazing and one of a kind.  Plus he'd make for such a versatile cock-coaster, twat-mat, butt-doily, I could go on...