person .. personality

sissyrobbi

My favorite film is Ingmar Bergman's Persona, which explores this sort of issue. A nurse and her mute patient (an actress who has suffered some kind of apparent mental break) are secluded, and the nurse, trying to rehabilitate the patient, starts to find her identity, her public self and the way she presents and perceives herself, being taken over and shaped by her encounter with her patient. (The first time I saw it I had the only nightmare I've had as an adult!)

I'm not clear on the distinction between person and personality. Are we right to think there is some singular true person always there in every moment of our lives? What about the ways that the intersubjective contexts shape the personalities we adopt, the ways that we relate differently to different people and surroundings in different sitautions? I believe biology and upbringing both very powerfully shape the parameters of our personalities, but I am not convinced we each have a singular true self or person. I suspect it is more like a spectrum, different ranges of which we occupy in different moments of our days and lives.

Some people can manipulate this more intentionally than others, and some people do so for any number of reasons, including many reasons that would strike me as healthy or compassionate or the like. Like Mistress Kang, I'm not totally sure what ittybitty's question is, but I find the concepts of person, persona, personality, and self really interesting and important.