Vintage NY

Stinger

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing you took this photo, Dannyboy

When you were about 30. Lol

Bradley:

My age is a secret. The government won't tell me lest I bankrupt social security. I keep telling Ms. Koi to stop calling me gramps; I prefer ojiesan.

I can truthfully say that I saw the Last Will and Testament of both Lou Gehrig and Al Jolson but won't state whether or not I wrote them.

Dannyboy

How cool is that!!!! I must walk past that street on way home today and see if i can take a pic of it as it now stands from the same place!

Pell is my absolutely favorite street in Chinatown. Second favorite is Mosco which is right around the block. Much has changed since the 80s but I can still remember it so vividly, probably from the sheer repetition. Every single Saturday and Sunday I was sat in the back of the family jeep next to my brother with 1010 WINS blaring from the radio. I did so much thinking during those car rides. We always took the same exact route into Chinatown- off the Williamsburg, down Delancey, left on Allen, slight right onto Division, then left on Bowery, right on Mulberry and blah blah blah 

For many many summers, I attended Chinese School (it's literally called "The New York Chinese School"- I KNOW, so creative right?) to learn to write in Chinese and speak Mandarin (we spoke Cantonese at home). One year they switched things up and enrolled us in the Transfiguration School for the summer. I remember learning how to sing "Puff The Magic Dragon"- no, this is not "code" LOL

Anyone ever been to the movie theaters that used to be under the overpass on East Broadway? My two aunts are Chinese Opera singers- I mean with the full getup like this:

Chinese Opera Singer.jpg

BTW that is NOT my aunt, just a random Google image!

Pell is my absolutely favorite street in Chinatown. Second favorite is Mosco which is right around the block. Much has changed since the 80s but I can still remember it so vividly, probably from the sheer repetition. Every single Saturday and Sunday I was sat in the back of the family jeep next to my brother with 1010 WINS blaring from the radio. I did so much thinking during those car rides. We always took the same exact route into Chinatown- off the Williamsburg, down Delancey, left on Allen, slight right onto Division, then left on Bowery, right on Mulberry and blah blah blah 

For many many summers, I attended Chinese School (it's literally called "The New York Chinese School"- I KNOW, so creative right?) to learn to write in Chinese and speak Mandarin (we spoke Cantonese at home). One year they switched things up and enrolled us in the Transfiguration School for the summer. I remember learning how to sing "Puff The Magic Dragon"- no, this is not "code" LOL

Anyone ever been to the movie theaters that used to be under the overpass on East Broadway? My two aunts are Chinese Opera singers- I mean with the full getup like this:

attachicon.gifChinese Opera Singer.jpg

BTW that is NOT my aunt, just a random Google image!

I love Mosco street, i walk in every few days on the way home. It makes me think what NYC must have looked like 50, 100,150 years ago. I love the little hill and the narrow street. It used to run across what is now columbus park to the court house and form one part of the five points, (a lovely and gentile part of old NYC hehe). But the crime got so bad on that part of Mulberry street that they knocked down that whole bend and make it a partk LOL

Pell street has the bank on the end that i think it one of the oldest buildings in NYC the mooney house i think it is a bank now.  I loved the old video of Chinatown as it looked so calm then and a lot less people than today when the side walks are packed!

Oooh!!  Found this video a while back but couldn't think of anyone who would appreciate it to share it with but now...!! This is how I remember Chinatown.

Lucky, I would have loved to see New York at this time period- today it's so hyperreal; like a remodeled, sanitized version of the past. What do you think?