IT FOLLOWS

Mistress Fei

Has anyone seen this film?

If so- What are your thoughts?

Is a slow moving, lingering, constant threat that follows you no matter where you go scarier than a resolute villain, or a fast/imposing threat?

Does this say anything about a "collective haunted intimacy" (found this in a review and loved the idea)

Is it better not to understand why? The film makes no sense at times yet it wasn't a big problem, at least to me

What is this film trying to say about sexuality? femininity?

What about its unusual choice of protagonist? In most horror films, the pretty girl is usually an ancillary character and not the main

LET'S HEAR IT! There's much to say here ethically, sexually, metaphorically

The slow- but always-moving threat was a grand idea. The director said it came form a recurrent childhood nightmare. Adding to this  that the curse may return if the person to whom you transmitted it dies, the originality of the concept raised many questions about how to deal with this threat. It is interesting that we only see Jay in the early days of her curse, before she develops a long-term strategy.

An instant before the credits rolled I was thinking: "oh no, they are going to end it without any closure". And so on cue they did. At first it was frustrating, but a good decision in retrospect. It allowed the tension to last long after leaving the cinema, not knowing how to kill that thing. I hope they do not shoot a sequel, lose the atmosphere and provide lame answers, in the vein of the retardissimo Force-enabling midi-chlorians in Star Wars episode I (sorry for bringing bad memories).

About the "collective haunted intimacy", feminity and sexuality: dunno, but the sex scenes sure were unusually grave and ominous. As for the motivations of the boys to help the hot chick by having sex with her: how much was lust, how much altruism ? I have the feeling that, had she been a mutt, they would have found another solution to her predicament, like placing an ad on match.com ad or building her a bunker.

I actually saw it just the other day; I was the only one in group who ended up enjoying it. From my view I thought the director was trying to illustrate death and its inevitability. The loss of innocence through sexual acts and the idea that ticking clock has begun a unstoppable count down. He used a lot of old cars and TV shows, maybe to show how people will retreat to their child hood for safety and protection. Most of all I found the ending to be pretty satisfying, the surrender to fate or rather just the acceptance with a absence of fear or anticipation. The film had a lot say and in my personal opinion I thought it was rather good, but hey to each their own. The simplistic rule of art

Hmmm, I am a big wuss and don't do well with outright horror movies, but I love horror writing and--at least from what I understand--the idea of IT FOLLOWS sounds like it would've made a great short story.

I am curious though to know how the film handles what essentially seems like an STD demon.

you'll like it, i'm positive

I actually saw it just the other day; I was the only one in group who ended up enjoying it. From my view I thought the director was trying to illustrate death and its inevitability. The loss of innocence through sexual acts and the idea that ticking clock has begun a unstoppable count down. He used a lot of old cars and TV shows, maybe to show how people will retreat to their child hood for safety and protection. Most of all I found the ending to be pretty satisfying, the surrender to fate or rather just the acceptance with a absence of fear or anticipation. The film had a lot say and in my personal opinion I thought it was rather good, but hey to each their own. The simplistic rule of art

nicely said- that's definitely one prominent metaphor in the film. i didn't think of the childhood theme, thanks for pointing that out

you'll like it, i'm positive

Agreed. This is not for horror aficionados. It barely has three seconds of tame gore at the beginning; after that, it is all atmosphere and suspense. It made me feel as when watching Clouzot's Les diaboliques as a child.

Good point from LITTOC: it feels like a novella Stephen King could have written.

Interesting how we all take something personal out of this film: sexuality, feminity, dealing with death... I doubt Mitchell had any intention to raise such themes, which makes it even more impressive an achievement.

This was in my opinion a horrible movie. It was more confusing than horrifying. Half the time my friend and I were making sex jokes. What happens if the girl was in a gang bang? What if the guy she has sex with sleeps with someone else who then sleeps with some guy who sleeps with the first girl? Also What the hell is up with the magical compact that one girl has? It is supposed to be the 80's or 2k's? If you're going to make a horror movie then do so right i.e. actually terrify me, not show me the wonders of the uncanny valley. I give this movie 2/5. 

P.S. This movie's plot was thought up by a British idiot about 6 months before this movie's release  

Agreed. This is not for horror aficionados. It barely has three seconds of tame gore at the beginning; after that, it is all atmosphere and suspense. It made me feel as when watching Clouzot's Les diaboliques as a child.

Interesting--do you think gore is a critical component of horror? I don't know a ton about the genre, but there seem to be a few dividing lines--gore, jump scares, etc--that just shut out a lot of films for me. Atmosphere and suspense though.... that's definitely my sweet spot.

Based on your comments, Mistress Fei, the 4 star reviews and the fact that my brother used to do this to me as a child, I was intrigued to see the movie. As a horror/scary movie I found it lacking. I did find the idea of the willingness of one to pass their problems onto another unsuspecting person interesting. I did think the plot was going to switch to her being a pyschopath and it was her doing the killing, when she jumpde through her friends window to warn him. Kinda like 'The Exorcist' book. (If you read the book, it left you wondering if she was truley possessed or really just crazy. The movie went totally possessed route)

I think they could have gone much deeper into more varied scenarios of dealing with the main theme.

The other thought that has always spooked me is the belief that our loved ones look upon us from beyond. I hate to think they are now seeing what I'm up to in my life.

Interesting--do you think gore is a critical component of horror? I don't know a ton about the genre, but there seem to be a few dividing lines--gore, jump scares, etc--that just shut out a lot of films for me. Atmosphere and suspense though.... that's definitely my sweet spot.

Gore is just one way to frighten, and I think it has been relied upon too heavily (e.g. Saw). I find the suggestive ways - the unseen menace with little screen time - more compelling. As for jump scares, they are a tired trope. Most of them would not work without the sudden musical bang, and most are clumsy: because the creature was not in the camera's field of vision 0,5 s ago, we are expected to believe the victim did not see it ? Please, this is no longer 1920... It follows has a way of building fear at the right pace and in plain view; in a way the title applies to the viewer's heart rate.

On Rotten tomatoes, the critics liked it much more than the public. It looks like a film failing to find its audience.

Anyway, if Mistress Fei compels you to see it, what choice have you ?

Gore is just one way to frighten, and I think it has been relied upon too heavily (e.g. Saw). I find the suggestive ways - the unseen menace with little screen time - more compelling. As for jump scares, they are a tired trope. Most of them would not work without the sudden musical bang, and most are clumsy: because the creature was not in the camera's field of vision 0,5 s ago, we are expected to believe the victim did not see it ? Please, this is no longer 1920... It follows has a way of building fear at the right pace and in plain view; in a way the title applies to the viewer's heart rate.

On Rotten tomatoes, the critics liked it much more than the public. It looks like a film failing to find its audience.

Anyway, if Mistress Fei compels you to see it, what choice have you ?

very good point Zantafio

• 2 weeks later...