Erotic Literature

Mistress Choi

As many of you may know, I am rather partial to reading. Books have always been a large part of my life - even now, my collection grows too large for my apartment! I find that since I was a somewhat introverted child, I took solace in, and lived vicariously through, books. Historical fiction, classics, science fiction, you name it. I went through a brief phase in the 5th grade where I snuck off and read Harlequin novels in the public library, but I was unsatisfied with those flowery tales of damsels in distress being rescued by smoldering, unlikely ladykillers. I discovered V.C. Andrews and Anne Rice when I was 12. While V.C. Andrews is perverse in her own right, with not only novels but series of incest and, in some cases, force, I found Anne Rice to be wonderful. She combined fantasy with erotic images, and covered a wide variety of couplings. Of course, between the Vampire Chronicles and her erotic novels under the pseudonym Anne Rampling, I found some of my first fantasy scenarios. In high school, Jacqueline Carey came to my attention with her first trilogy about an alternate France where the law of the land was "Love as thou wilt", regardless of sexual orientation or proclivities. There, I think, is where the BDSM spark was really lit for me. The heroine of the trilogy is, in essence, a pure masochist while the antagonist is an exquisite sadist.

Now, walking through Barnes and Noble, it comes to my attention that there are few "educational" books in the Sex and Relationships section on straight BDSM (yes, there are Tips from a Dominatrix! and 2 Knotty Boys books sometimes). In the Fiction and Literature and Sci Fi/Fantasy sections you will find works from the Marquis de Sade, Pauline Réage, Laurell K. Hamilton, and of course the other authors I've mentioned. On top of that, who knows what smut I haven't found yet! While the fictional books aren't all just straight-up scenes, there is most definitely a BDSM influence running through them.

Why mention this in connection with childhood? I believe that being exposed to these lovely works of fiction, starting at a young age, influenced my thoughts and desires and is very possibly why I am who I am now. I would say it was subliminal, that I innocently read these books and then one day accidentally found out that I was deviant - but I know that I began to seek out books that had BDSM inspired scenes. Does anyone else feel this way about something that they've read in connection to their BDSM thoughts? If not, do you have a favourite work of erotic literature?

xo Choi

Perhaps you would be interested in "Legacy of Cain" by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch. It includes his most famus novel called 'Venus in fur'

HD.

PS. if your at all in need of inspiration, or just bored you can always trawl the wast vaults of http://www.literotica.com/stories/

It's really not very outstanding writings but there are a few gems in there. Check out and let me know if you find anything good. One of my resent favourites is http://www.literotica.com/stories/showstory.php?id=73452 DS.

I'm the same way, Mistress Choi. I have a veritable library in my apartment that seems to never stop growing. I'd say invest in a LOT of shelving. lol

I think the first erotic book I was ever exposed to was "Erotica" by Anaïs Nin. I was about 9 at the time and I read the book cover to cover. . . who knew 9 year olds could get turned on. I think that book may have been my inspiration to start experimenting with my girlfriends at slumber partys.... unfortunately, when you're 9 it only results in awkwardness, lol!

Then I discovered Anne Roquelaure's (anne rice's other pen name) "Sleeping Beauty" trilogy when I was 13 and it changed my life. It's quite possible that it shaped the way I experience pleasure to this day. LoL in a twisted fairytale based around dominance, submission and general obscenity. lol

I love Anne Rice/Rampling's Beauty trilogy. I "discovered" it through a friend on Livejournal, in high school, and because there wasn't a Barnes and Noble nearby and i didn't dare have my parents find the books in my room, i would spend hours on the computer reading a few pages at a time online, wth the Barnes and Noble "look inside" feature.

Hey Choi

Hopefully I don't go too far off topic with this, but I am a little intrigued about the part where you mention about innocently reading books and then finding out you were a deviant... I think it was more like a lattice work for me. The sci-fi genre always piqued my interest. I got stuck on Piers Anthony for a while only to reread some of the books later and feel that he approached sexuality in an almost juvenile way. At the time though, I was really turned on by the imagery in my head! What I got from many books that made me feel turned on is almost what I sought from them in a way. Each time I would read something that aroused me, I'd see something or someone and it would all get swirled up into this ongoing theme if you will with each piece adding more. Switching away from literature just a bit, I did notice as I was growing up that I was turned on by seeing women tied up and struggling like in the Avengers, detective shows, Wonder Woman, etc. I never really put it all together in my head until one day I was home from college my freshman year. Internet browsing was very new and I saw a news piece on "the dangers of newsgroups" and they started scrolling through all of the newsgroups on the screen. One came up called "alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.bondage". I turned off the TV, said "thank you" outloud and I went onto our computer, completely turned on and started downloading the pictures. I'd never seen my sexuality so clearly than at that moment. Most ironically given to me by a newscaster talking about the abundance of perversion on newsgroups. It was as if a gigantic switch went off in my head. Starting so innocently with a book here, a movie there, a picture in my head.

D

As many of you may know, I am rather partial to reading. Books have always been a large part of my life - even now, my collection grows too large for my apartment! I find that since I was a somewhat introverted child, I took solace in, and lived vicariously through, books. Historical fiction, classics, science fiction, you name it. I went through a brief phase in the 5th grade where I snuck off and read Harlequin novels in the public library, but I was unsatisfied with those flowery tales of damsels in distress being rescued by smoldering, unlikely ladykillers. I discovered V.C. Andrews and Anne Rice when I was 12. While V.C. Andrews is perverse in her own right, with not only novels but series of incest and, in some cases, force, I found Anne Rice to be wonderful. She combined fantasy with erotic images, and covered a wide variety of couplings. Of course, between the Vampire Chronicles and her erotic novels under the pseudonym Anne Rampling, I found some of my first fantasy scenarios. In high school, Jacqueline Carey came to my attention with her first trilogy about an alternate France where the law of the land was "Love as thou wilt", regardless of sexual orientation or proclivities. There, I think, is where the BDSM spark was really lit for me. The heroine of the trilogy is, in essence, a pure masochist while the antagonist is an exquisite sadist.

Now, walking through Barnes and Noble, it comes to my attention that there are few "educational" books in the Sex and Relationships section on straight BDSM (yes, there are Tips from a Dominatrix! and 2 Knotty Boys books sometimes). In the Fiction and Literature and Sci Fi/Fantasy sections you will find works from the Marquis de Sade, Pauline Réage, Laurell K. Hamilton, and of course the other authors I've mentioned. On top of that, who knows what smut I haven't found yet! While the fictional books aren't all just straight-up scenes, there is most definitely a BDSM influence running through them.

Why mention this in connection with childhood? I believe that being exposed to these lovely works of fiction, starting at a young age, influenced my thoughts and desires and is very possibly why I am who I am now. I would say it was subliminal, that I innocently read these books and then one day accidentally found out that I was deviant - but I know that I began to seek out books that had BDSM inspired scenes. Does anyone else feel this way about something that they've read in connection to their BDSM thoughts? If not, do you have a favourite work of erotic literature?

xo Choi

Dear Mistress Choi,

As Mistress Ahn & Mistress Ree made mention of in their posts, my first exposure through reading was the "Sleeping Beauty" trilogy by Anne Rice, that clearly sparked a deep rooted interest within me. I would personally love to thank all of the authors who influenced your thoughts and desires at such a young age in possibly helping to shape the deviant you are today, thank God for all of them. BTW...stay in search of the smut you haven't found yet, I absolutely LOVE what all this reading has done for you.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses :-)

Hound_Dog - Yes, Literotica definitely has some gems, but most of it is run-on sentences and bad grammar. I've found that I like www.asstr.org as well, but they are harder to search for particular things. I will take a look for Legacy of Cain next time I go to Barnes and Noble. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mistress Ahn - How could I have left out Anaïs Nin? Thank you! And yes, shelving is something I must invest in - having crates of books stacked up against the wall is so very unsexy! Not to mention a physical hazard if a stack were to topple.

mustanggt - Biff, don't lie! We all know you're not literate! :-P

Mistress Ree - The "Beauty" trilogy - my reading list is getting longer and longer. I should just give in and get a Kindle, or that new eBook reader that Barnes and Noble is selling now. I'm amused about how you went about hiding your smut-reading from your parents! My parents actually bought me the fantasy books with the more softcore stuff in them as rewards for reading the summer reading list they assigned me. Come to think of it...I am fairly sure that my father bought me Kushiel's Dart - I hope, very much, that he didn't actually realize what it was about...

harveytworm - Howdy stranger! You didn't stray too far from the path here. It sounds like you read the way I do - when I read, if I'm enjoying the subject matter, it tends to play in my head like a movie where I play whatever part is the most intriguing to me. I can't say I ever read Piers Anthony for the sex scenes, but I do think that the sci-fi/fantasy genre goes into sex scenes more than say, John Saul or Terry Pratchett. When I was younger, I definitely took the scenes that were appealing to me and made them into more elaborate scenarios in my head at night. Regarding your thoughts on your deviant light bulb switching on, thank you for sharing that with me. It makes me wonder about my childhood male friends and how we always played superhero games...lol. Also, I love when news channels alert the public to possibly corrupting things in order to warn them, and have it backfire so splendidly!

Consideringasession - Thank you for your suggestion - again, my reading list grows! I hope that we see you in our hallowed halls soon :-)

akiravn1 - First exposure...what about more recent exposures? I thank the authors too, and if I ever write my memoirs I shall be sure to acknowledge them all :-P Funnily enough, I think that all of the erotic and/or BDSM themed books that I've encountered, save the Marquis de Sade, are women. Girl power!

xo Choi

Mary Gaitskill's book, Bad Behavior, has lots of erotic S&M. The film 'Secretary' is based on one of her stories. She's a wonderful writer, and the book is pretty sexy. I highly recommend it. If I ever make it in to the Fortress, I promise I will bring a copy.

OMG. One of my friends gave me that book a few months ago... I still have fantasies about it to this day. lol

Switch Choi,

Given your love of reading, you absolutely have to check out The Market Place Series by Laura Antoniou, that is, if you haven't already. Its a BDSM tour de force.

In answer to your question, I have not been directly influenced by any one piece of erotic BDSM literature but I take marvalous perverse pleasure in making my sub earn every precious single page of smut she consumes;-) lol

d/leatherwings

xo Choi

Dear Mistress Choi,

My most recent exposures are actually The Market Place series by Laura Antoniou that Leatherwings made mention of.

The Marketplace

The Slave

The Trainer

The Academy

The Reunion

Which were originally published under her pen name of Sara Adamson.

You make a good point regarding the majority of the material that you have read, being written by women authors. When you say Girl Power, I just can't help myself, the first thing that comes to mind is each and every lovely Fortress Mistress.

xo Choi

Dear Choi:

I remember such erotic books (thanks to the Supreme Court) as Fanny Hill, Sexus, Lexus, Nexus, Tropic of Cancer, Tropic of Capricorn, Autobiography of a Flea and of course, Venus in Furs. The fact is, I could have written my own book had I any desire to reveal personal secrets. Venus in Furs touched upon feelings that I couldn't understand but touched upon something in the very soul of me.

Dannyboy

Thank you Dannyboy, for writing out the titles!

And thank you, leatherwings, for another way for me to spend time nurturing my smutty side :-)

Dear Mistress Choi,

I am all for hearing about you discovering different ways to spend time nuturing your smutty side. I believe that you have countless wonderful sides to you, but something tells me that your smutty side would clearly be my personal favorite.

akiravn1 - I do have many lovely facets to my personality...and yet I always find myself gravitating to the more questionable and/or smutty things in life!

Dear Mistress Choi,

I am all for hearing about you discovering different ways to spend time nuturing your smutty side. I believe that you have countless wonderful sides to you, but something tells me that your smutty side would clearly be my personal favorite.

akiravn1 - I do have many lovely facets to my personality...and yet I always find myself gravitating to the more questionable and/or smutty things in life!

Dear Mistress Choi,

A gorgeous Asian woman who always finds herself gravitating to the more questionable and/or smutty things in life, you are without question my idea of a dream come true.

I second that comment, akira. Now, to convince the world of this matter..

Dear mZ,

I am so glad that you agree. In my mind there is nothing finer in this world, but you are right, convincing the world of this really is another matter. I have always had the strongest desires for Asian women, then when their interests are BDSM / Fetish and the like, those desires just seem to increase immensely.

• 1 month later...

Hey Choi,

Happy birthday! Just wanted to say I really enjoyed our last session...

Here's the link to the book I was telling you about:

Mhttp://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-All-Mine-Professional-Submissive/dp/0786716487

Yeah- she's a mess and spends a lot of her time being completely bewildered as to what she wants and even what she's doing, but some parts are very interesting. Although I'm not done with it yet myself. Again, the question is why does our BDSM world always start out somewhere in the woods?

Looking forward to finding more interesting knots to try out with you, here's the flogging cuffs:

http://www.knottyboys.com/videos/Quick_Ties/Flogging_Cuffs.wmv

D

PS meow