Beautiful submissive words from Story of O

Mistress Rey

"Keep me rather in this cage, and feed me sparingly, if you dare.

Anything that brings me closer to illness and the edge of death makes me more faithful.

It is only when you make me suffer that I feel safe and secure. 

You should never have agreed to be a god for me if you were afraid to assume the duties of a god,

and we all know that they are not as tender as all that.

You have already seen me cry. Now you must learn to relish my tears." 

Story of O, Pauline Reage, 1958

And why was the book never made into a good movie? Yes, there was that catastrophe from 1975, but you would think that the French--Godard,Chabrol, Roehmer,Agnes Varda, Jacques Rivette--would have produced a major film. Surely, there was nothing in "O" that Rivette didn't show in his movie with a nude Jane Birkin and a luscious Beart?

"Keep me rather in this cage, and feed me sparingly, if you dare.

Anything that brings me closer to illness and the edge of death makes me more faithful.

It is only when you make me suffer that I feel safe and secure. 

You should never have agreed to be a god for me if you were afraid to assume the duties of a god,

and we all know that they are not as tender as all that.

You have already seen me cry. Now you must learn to relish my tears." 

Story of O, Pauline Reage, 1958

Dear Ms. Rey"

Words of Love, Buddy Holly, 1957.

Deep and soulful. 

Dannyboy

And why was the book never made into a good movie? Yes, there was that catastrophe from 1975, but you would think that the French--Godard,Chabrol, Roehmer,Agnes Varda, Jacques Rivette--would have produced a major film. Surely, there was nothing in "O" that Rivette didn't show in his movie with a nude Jane Birkin and a luscious Beart?

Story of O is too uncomfortable to be filmed... Thats why we have 50 shades of grey instead. 

Mistress Rey, I never made it that far in Story of O. I found the first chapter frustrating, for some reason, and I lost interest in continuing. It all seemed so insistent... but that was a while ago. Maybe I'd appreciate it more now.

The thought of being kept by you in a cage, hungry and thirsty and confused, and tended to as the plaything of a capricious goddess... is almost too much to bear.

• 2 weeks later...

Mistress Rey, I never made it that far in Story of O. I found the first chapter frustrating, for some reason, and I lost interest in continuing. It all seemed so insistent... but that was a while ago. Maybe I'd appreciate it more now.

The thought of being kept by you in a cage, hungry and thirsty and confused, and tended to as the plaything of a capricious goddess... is almost too much to bear.

I understand why you felt frustrated after the first chapter. I almost stopped after the first chapter as well. It was a relentless account of constant torment and degradation of O. There is rarely any passage about O's thoughts and feelings, so the descriptions read more like a cold description of never ending infliction of pain and humiliation on a sexual object. (That was the author's intention, as stated in the prologue.) I thought it lacked sensuality and eroticism as well... the words glossed over descriptions of sex and body parts. 

It also appears she is not a true masochist and does not enjoy the whipping. She is tolerating all this torture to be loved by Renee and Sir Stephen. She completely submits her body and soul to the idea of being loved, but doesn't seem to be getting the equivalent intention in return. When she's totally given herself, and her master abandons her, she rather die, and so he gives her permission to. It may be a classic because it was provocative and shocking for that era (1950s), however that doesn't mean it shed a positive light on the BDSM community. Some books don't stand the test of time, unfortunately. 

And the search continues on for a positive portrayal of BDSM in literature!

Now, the thought of you kept in a cage in a sexy outfit, or nude, as was done with O at the Roissy castle, is a fun thought to entertain. I liked how she could be visited at any time of the night, to be either used for sexual pleasure or whipped mercilessly. The anticipation of a sexual or painful encounter, not knowing when or what would happen, must have made it hard to sleep... Would you find it erotic to be used by others because your mistress wanted it, as Renee did with O? He permitted anyone to use her, that anything they to do her is an extension of him. 

And the search continues on for a positive portrayal of BDSM in literature!

Now, the thought of you kept in a cage in a sexy outfit, or nude, as was done with O at the Roissy castle, is a fun thought to entertain. I liked how she could be visited at any time of the night, to be either used for sexual pleasure or whipped mercilessly. The anticipation of a sexual or painful encounter, not knowing when or what would happen, must have made it hard to sleep... Would you find it erotic to be used by others because your mistress wanted it, as Renee did with O? He permitted anyone to use her, that anything they to do her is an extension of him. 

You're spot on about the first chapter of The Story of O and the reasons I chose not to continue reading it. Even though it doesn't satisfy your search, you've made me think I should go back to it sometime and finish it, if only to know what's out there.

As for your question... I wonder what kind of sexy outfit you have in mind ;) 

I can't help but think of your question in terms of submission, and the feeling of submitting. To whom, and to what, is a submissive submitting, and how complete does the submission feel? There have been times when, despite intense pain or discomfort, I've willingly made my body more available for punishment because my mistress wanted it. Other times I've felt an urge to resist, even if I was physically unable. The submission feels somehow less complete in such cases. It's been interesting for me to explore the wide spectrum between these kinds of experiences, and it's still mostly mysterious to me. Sometimes resistance leads to further discipline, and sometimes the further discipline then deepens the submission...

The space of submission feels very precious to me, and I think it could very easily be disrupted. I imagine responding to "others" with resistance... anger, fear, hostility, rejection... I think, for example, it would be very difficult, maybe impossible, for me to recognize a man as an extension of a mistress, no matter what she commanded or desired. How would my mistress respond to my resistance, and what would her discipline mean for my submission?