Quarantine Movies and Shows

Watched "Flower Drum Song" for the first time ever. Interesting fact: Nancy Kwan visited my ship when it was at anchor in Europe. I didn't see her when she visited as I was on liberty doing what sailors do in a foreign port. I also saw Jack Soo in this film play in a role other than Detective Nick Yamana for the first time. He was a regular in Barney Miller until he passed away.

Dannyboy

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched the two 1990s Adams Family films, the ones with Rual Julia as Gomez, Angjelica Husten as Morticia and Christopher Lloyd as Fester.  The first one is funny but I'd forgotten how great "Addams Family Values" is, a definite example of a comedy sequel that's better than the original.  Two clips that will tickle Fortress-types:

Morticia on enslaving men: 

And this one I love even more.  I always wonder what Mistress Zito was like as a kid when I see this Wednesday Addams scene: 

On 11/30/2020 at 12:35 AM, Dannyboy said:

"Play Misty for Me.'  Felt like Psycho times 3. Haven't seen this one in many years. I tend to get involved with that kind of woman.

Dannyboy

I just had to watch Psycho again. It was not so difficult to watch as it was in the early 60's. It has been surpassed in horror and gore by many other films that came later in time but it always remain as a great Hitchcock thriller.

Dannyboy

12 hours ago, Dannyboy said:

I just had to watch Psycho again. It was not so difficult to watch as it was in the early 60's. It has been surpassed in horror and gore by many other films that came later in time but it always remain as a great Hitchcock thriller.

Dannyboy

Dannyboy:

I watched it a couple of weeks ago. Shocking and groundbreaking in it's time.

I usually plan to watch Christmas movies but somehow never get to them. I've already seen three this year. A Holiday Affair (1949), Christmas in Connecticut (1945), and A Christmas Carol (1938 version).

I watched Black Christmas from 2019 earlier thinking it was a remake from the 70's movie of the same name. It wasn't and it was silly.

Just watched the original The Day the Earth Stood Still. Always good.

Ray

12 hours ago, Big Trouble Baby said:

Dannyboy:

I watched it a couple of weeks ago. Shocking and groundbreaking in it's time.

I usually plan to watch Christmas movies but somehow never get to them. I've already seen three this year. A Holiday Affair (1949), Christmas in Connecticut (1945), and A Christmas Carol (1938 version).

I watched Black Christmas from 2019 earlier thinking it was a remake from the 70's movie of the same name. It wasn't and it was silly.

Just watched the original The Day the Earth Stood Still. Always good.

Ray

Ray:

The kids have been watching Christmas movies but I have been avoiding them. I traditionally watch "A Christmas Story" starring Darren McGavin and hope my grandson doesn't let anyone double dog dare him to put his tongue on a lamp post in sub freezing weather. I will watch The Day the Earth Stood Still before next week. I was discussing with my young lady about my wish to watch "Play Misty for Me" with her. It seems to have several "knife" scenes in the Psycho mode and could also be seen as a prequel to "Fatal Attraction" which she has not seen.

She thought "The Godfather" was excessively violent. My response: It was done tastefully except for maybe the strangulation of Luca Brasi, the shootings of Sollazo and McClusky, the machine gunning of Santino Corleone, the garroting of Carlo Rizzi by Clemenza and Moe Green getting shot through the eye while on a massage table. Except for those instances and a few killings during the baptism and, oh I forgot, the severed horse head in Woltz's bed it had relatively little violence. Still, despite my ernest efforts to convince her otherwise she held on to her opinion stubbornly.

Watched the original "Mutiny on the Bounty" with Charles Laughton and Clark Gable. Excellent.

Dannyboy

Watched "Clerks."

I didn't watch it when it came out but a particular Mistress advised me to watch it about 15 years ago. 

Today I laughed so hard that my mind drifted back to the time when I first watched it. The Mistress left the scene years ago and we are periodically in touch. She has found her dream and lives it to this day. I have no regrets.

Dannyboy

On 12/17/2020 at 6:30 PM, Dannyboy said:

Watched "Clerks."

I didn't watch it when it came out but a particular Mistress advised me to watch it about 15 years ago. 

Today I laughed so hard that my mind drifted back to the time when I first watched it. The Mistress left the scene years ago and we are periodically in touch. She has found her dream and lives it to this day. I have no regrets.

Dannyboy

Hey Sonny, do you have any reading material?

Watched "Dances with Wolves" for the second time in my life. Forgot so much of it over time and learned so much more this time about the Lakota Sioux. Billy Mills was half Lakota and half white and won the 10,000 meters in the 1964 Olympics. His story was portrayed in the film "Running Brave." Graham Greene played significant roles in both.

Dannyboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 4:42 PM, Big Trouble Baby said:

The Producers and Blazing Saddles last night. 

Ray:

Two classic comedies. Recently watched Nevada Smith, a Steve McQueen film with a great cast. I came to realize after all this time that Janet Margolin had a role. I saw her early in her career with a role in David and Lisa  and later in Take the Money and Run.

Dannyboy

On 2/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, Dannyboy said:

Ray:

Two classic comedies. Recently watched Nevada Smith, a Steve McQueen film with a great cast. I came to realize after all this time that Janet Margolin had a role. I saw her early in her career with a role in David and Lisa  and later in Take the Money and Run.

Dannyboy

Dannyboy:

Nevada Smith did have a great cast from leads to character actor Ted DeCorsia. Saw David and Lisa when I was young. Odd movie as I recall. Take the Money and Run was the first Woody Allen I saw. Funny flick.

Did a John Garfield marathon the other day. Body and Soul and They Made Me a Criminal, two personal favorites, and Between Two Worlds. Strange movie. May have to see it again to form an opinion.

Ray

On 2/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, Big Trouble Baby said:

Dannyboy:

Nevada Smith did have a great cast from leads to character actor Ted DeCorsia. Saw David and Lisa when I was young. Odd movie as I recall. Take the Money and Run was the first Woody Allen I saw. Funny flick.

Did a John Garfield marathon the other day. Body and Soul and They Made Me a Criminal, two personal favorites, and Between Two Worlds. Strange movie. May have to see it again to form an opinion.

Ray

Ray:

I'm sure I watched some Garfield films but they were shows that my father watched on tv. Perhaps I'll seek out a few and see if they appeal to me. David and Lisa was odd. When I first watched it in a movie theater my date, a student nurse in the psychiatric phase of her training, offered a number of insights into the pathology of the main characters.

On another note, I was able to find a DVD with the film "The Collector" which I first watched on a Naval Base in Newport, Rhode Island in 1966.

Dannyboy

2 hours ago, Dannyboy said:

Ray:

I'm sure I watched some Garfield films but they were shows that my father watched on tv. Perhaps I'll seek out a few and see if they appeal to me. David and Lisa was odd. When I first watched it in a movie theater my date, a student nurse in the psychiatric phase of her training, offered a number of insights into the pathology of the main characters.

On another note, I was able to find a DVD with the film "The Collector" which I first watched on a Naval Base in Newport, Rhode Island in 1966.

Dannyboy

Dannyboy:

To me, Body and Soul is the gold standard for boxing movies. They Made Me a Criminal was about a boxer who was on the run because he thought he committed a murder. Also with the Dead End Kids.

Watched Three Came Home and Roots last week. Three Came Home was the true story of British  civilians and one American living in Borneo who were captured and imprisoned by the Japanese in 1942. Claudette Colbert played the American and author of the book. Good book, good movie. I have an original 1947 copy of the book.

Ray

6 hours ago, Big Trouble Baby said:

Dannyboy:

To me, Body and Soul is the gold standard for boxing movies. They Made Me a Criminal was about a boxer who was on the run because he thought he committed a murder. Also with the Dead End Kids.

Watched Three Came Home and Roots last week. Three Came Home was the true story of British  civilians and one American living in Borneo who were captured and imprisoned by the Japanese in 1942. Claudette Colbert played the American and author of the book. Good book, good movie. I have an original 1947 copy of the book.

Ray

Ray:

I may have seen Body and Soul but the one that sticks with me the most as a kid was "Somebody up There Likes Me." 

Dannyboy

On 2/16/2021 at 12:10 AM, Dannyboy said:

Ray:

I may have seen Body and Soul but the one that sticks with me the most as a kid was "Somebody up There Likes Me." 

Dannyboy

On 2/16/2021 at 12:10 AM, Dannyboy said:

Ray:

Dannyboy

Dannyboy:

Somebody Up There Likes Me is a good flick. Is The Collector about a butterfly collector who starts collecting women?

Just watched Hombre with Paul Neuman, and Liston-Clay from 64 and Ali-Liston from 65.

Ray