"Like FUN you will."

Mistress Kang

Boardwalk Empire is back with Season THREE! The show is not the same without the eye candy that *was* Darmody, ehh..but I've settled for Slater to do the job :) I LOVE any dialogue between Chalky White and Purnsley- they've come such a long way. Harrow is awesome, interesting character, wish they did more back-story on him. I loved watching the slow build-up of the melt-down of FBI agent Van Alden..how he gives in and ends up with a financial" arrangement with his mistress who gives birth to their love-child claiming it was a gift for his barren bible thumping wife.

Anyone else liking this show? Not as good as Deadwood, but still, good stuff.

Its a great show for sure. My favorite characters is probably Mickey Doyle.

I love Harrow's character too. One of my favorite episodes was from Season 2 when he went "hunting".

This season, Gyp Rosetti has alot of promise. And I can't dislike any character that Michael Kenneth Williams (Chalky) portrays after being Omar in The Wire.

Boardwalk Empire is back with Season THREE! The show is not the same without the eye candy that *was* Darmody, ehh..but I've settled for Slater to do the job :) I LOVE any dialogue between Chalky White and Purnsley- they've come such a long way. Harrow is awesome, interesting character, wish they did more back-story on him. I loved watching the slow build-up of the melt-down of FBI agent Van Alden..how he gives in and ends up with a financial" arrangement with his mistress who gives birth to their love-child claiming it was a gift for his barren bible thumping wife.

Just got into it over the past few weeks, had to rush and catch up on the first two seasons to prepare for the past few Sundays. Definitely thought the Oedipal-Darmody thing was a nice touch. One of my friends is big into the Mob and he says they are pretty closely following history with some of the secondary characters. My favorite is definitely Harrow ("63"), and Rossetti scares the crap out of me - so unpredictable and short-fused.

Also can't wait for Walking Dead to start again - 2 weeks! Hmmm... Sunday nights will be difficult - gangsters or zombies!

Love Boardwalk Empire. Also Dexter, Homeland, and The Walking Dead. Never saw Deadwood.

Love it! Bobby Cannavale's character is very interesting...

Van Alden's descent was very well-done and believable. Buscemi always amazes me with his range. I just saw "The Big Lebowski" again and he played such a knucklehead. Polar opposite from his BE role.

Gyp Rosetti? Why do *you* think he's interesting? He's such a new character, just introduced this Season but I think I can see where they're going with it. I liked the scene of him reading a map and the gas attendant trying to explain a scale without getting having his brains served to him with bits of eye socket bone.

Van Alden vaguely reminds me of "Bob" in Revolutionary Road- btw, Bob was as awesome- they could be brothers LOL

Agreed with Buscemi, I can still see him wearing that a dirty wifebeater in the zipline scene from "Grown Ups" in my head.

Its a great show for sure. My favorite characters is probably Mickey Doyle.

I love Harrow's character too. One of my favorite episodes was from Season 2 when he went "hunting".

This season, Gyp Rosetti has alot of promise. And I can't dislike any character that Michael Kenneth Williams (Chalky) portrays after being Omar in The Wire.

Doyle is so despicable, and at times I wonder if he's mentally ill, seriously lol He's not my favorite but I do like the overall character.

YES! Harrow's lost in the woods episode was so great! I think that was the most telling episode of his past to date. I loved the bonding with the two other homeless woodsmen...

I haven't seen The Wire, but might just for a different side of Chalky. He's so thoroughly BLACK in BE!

Just got into it over the past few weeks, had to rush and catch up on the first two seasons to prepare for the past few Sundays. Definitely thought the Oedipal-Darmody thing was a nice touch. One of my friends is big into the Mob and he says they are pretty closely following history with some of the secondary characters. My favorite is definitely Harrow ("63"), and Rossetti scares the crap out of me - so unpredictable and short-fused.

Also can't wait for Walking Dead to start again - 2 weeks! Hmmm... Sunday nights will be difficult - gangsters or zombies!

I read somewhere that Dunn Purnsley's character is supposedly Avon Barksdale's great great grandfather (Avon Barksdale is a character from The Wire). Thought that was a nice follow through.

Oh you know, I really liked Munya aka Manny Horvitz character- so two faced and extreme in both dimensions. But I'm glad he was killed as revenge by Harrow.

I'm not impressed with Rosetti yet, perhaps because he is so short-fused, he is still predictable, at this point at least.

Love Boardwalk Empire. Also Dexter, Homeland, and The Walking Dead. Never saw Deadwood.

I couldn't get into Dexter- maybe it was because the first episode of it that I saw was the one where he made a mistake and killed a "non-bad-guy". I was expecting this perfect dysfunctional killer but upon my first (and subsequently, only) viewing I see him blunder. I don't think I saw an episode after that.

Heard Homeland was good, will have to get that download! How is this Walking Dead show? Never even heard of it until this thread from you and Phred!

woffy- this is why you'll always be a silly-santa! How could you never have seen Deadwood and also seem to have no desire to? You're just wrong in the head :)

I like Boardwalk Empire ,but don't think I would be into it if it wasn't for the acting and the genre. I love anything to do with prohibition and the Jazz Age. It semed like a crazy time in history. Its also the time my grandparents came to NY. The William Forthsyte character (Munya) was excellent and I think that guy is great in just about anything I've seen him do. Also, the vet with with the mask, Harrow?,is really done well. He's my fav. He portrays him with that quiet sadness and fierce loyalty of a veteran. So its one of the few shows Ill watch regularly.

Gyp Rosetti? Why do *you* think he's interesting? He's such a new character, just introduced this Season but I think I can see where they're going with it. I liked the scene of him reading a map and the gas attendant trying to explain a scale without getting having his brains served to him with bits of eye socket bone.

Van Alden vaguely reminds me of "Bob" in Revolutionary Road- btw, Bob was as awesome- they could be brothers LOL

Agreed with Buscemi, I can still see him wearing that a dirty wifebeater in the zipline scene from "Grown Ups" in my head.

Gyp is unpredictable and explosive...yet he's also cunning and calculating. He seems out of control when he's actually in complete control. Very dynamic character.

Who knew Atlantic City was so much fun?

How is this Walking Dead show?

Absolutely freakin' tremendous! I don't want to give away too much of the basic premise, but I just love post-apocalyptic shows/movies. I picked it up midway through Season 2, and spent one whole night just watching all the episodes from Season 1 to catch up. Just couldn't get enough. The ending of Season 2 was so mind-blowing, we were talking about it in the office for days! Mistress Kang, try watching the first few episodes on Netflix and see what you think. I hope you like it.

Rosetti's character is interesting to me because he's a psychopath in a suit. Violence exists just below the surface. He's everything that Lucky Luciano seemed like he was going to be, but never accomplished.

The scene in the beginning of the season where he beat to death the guy on the road set up the "confrontation" between him and Nucky towards the end of the episode so well because you just felt like something was going to happen, but never did. The tension was there.

Gyp is unpredictable and explosive...yet he's also cunning and calculating. He seems out of control when he's actually in complete control. Very dynamic character.

Who knew Atlantic City was so much fun?

I just saw Ep3- ok I agree Gyp is pretty cool :) and has great potential with more character story. There's this suspense in is scenes that are indescribable- like the one where he and Nucky are eating dinner and Nucky makes a comment about monkey and he starts with the ape noises LOL And "BONE FOR TUNA"! OH. MY. GOD. I laughed so hard.

Well, that actor , Michael Shannon, who plays Von Alden in Boardwalk Empire DOES play a role in Revolutionary Road (character is John Givens). He was nominated for an Oscar for it and SHOULD have won. I liked Revolutionary Road but felt it was a bit of a rehash of American Beauty with the roles reversed. I loved Deadwood - Shakespearean Western - what an idea!!

I've seen every episode of BE, most on their Sunday evening premieres. Still, I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. I certainly agree it's no Deadwood or Sopranos (or the Wire or Treme). As to Gyp "accomplishing" what Luciano only promised as character, my guess is Gyp will soon "learn" what Luciano and Lansky already know: it's just business, nothing personal. Not that being a sadistic sociopathic killer is an unforgivable sin in gangster circles. But being bad for business is. I myself don't truck with no sociopaths, so Gyp is not my favorite character. I guess Harrow is. I’m found of Mrs. Thompson and the departed Angela Darmody too. Beyond those, it's hit AND miss. Chalky, Jimmy, Nucky: compelling, multifaceted, but way too brutal (or just too business oriented). It took Tony 6 seasons before he smothers Christopher.

I hate the whole premise of Dexter, so I've never seen it. Kind of goes against my "no sociopath" sensibility.

• 3 months later...

I couldn't get into Dexter- maybe it was because the first episode of it that I saw was the one where he made a mistake and killed a "non-bad-guy". I was expecting this perfect dysfunctional killer but upon my first (and subsequently, only) viewing I see him blunder. I don't think I saw an episode after that.

Heard Homeland was good, will have to get that download! How is this Walking Dead show? Never even heard of it until this thread from you and Phred!

woffy- this is why you'll always be a silly-santa! How could you never have seen Deadwood and also seem to have no desire to? You're just wrong in the head :)

Late responding to this but...The Walking Dead is very intense and very gory. If you watch it, start from Season 1.

I don't know anything about Deadwood. In the last 15 years the only tv shows I've seen, in addition to the four mentioned above, are The Sopranos, 24, Lost, and The Killing. I usually only take a look at something if someone says I would like it. Silly Santa