Morrissey

Mistress Tran

Hi Ordinary boys:

I saw Morrissey perform the other night and though the show itself wasn't very good- he sang amazingly and of course Im a big fan of his music.

Being at the concert was interesting because listening to his voice made me think about the time in my life that I use to listen to a lot of The Smiths....which happens to be a time that I was exploring my deep interest in submission/domination and love. Its funny how music brings you back even to other memories that dont always directly relate.

Thoughts?

MTran

I'm a big fan of The Smiths, though I know that's not the original point of the thread. I can understand how the two relate. While there's no music associated with my exploration of kink, there's obviously certain songs now that when I hear I think about the Fortress (the intended genius of the playlist, I'm sure). To a more benign point, certain songs do bring back memories of certain points in my life when I here them, though not so much a specific band, per se.

Music always does that for me - sometimes I when I hear a song, it triggers a memory & can bring me an overwhelming feeling of mixed emotions of good times, friends I haven't seen in a while & miss & sometimes I don't always recognize the memory attached to the feeling right away. And music makes me cry a lot - not all the time - it's not like I sit at my radio crying 24/7 or in a club or concert with a tissue in my hand but once in a while I'll hear a song and it's so beautiful, it makes me cry.

Also, as much as I love music (music & Women's feet - my 2 favorite things) - I also love the sound of nighttime in the Fall & winter both in the suburbs and in Manhattan - the constant hiss of the cold wind in a way is almost like a beautiful melody mixed with the sounds of cars passing on a highway or street. Whe ever I visit a friend or relative in the suburbs, after dinner, I like to sit outside for like an hour just to hear that sound - that's why I love autumn.

I never got around to hearing Morrissey - believe it or not - I gotta check him out - I listen to so many types of music but sometimes I never get around to hearing some of the most classic stuff.

I love the Stones . I love the sex charged sound they create. Listening to "Monkey Man" just makes you want to get down. I love the blues and guitar work. The opening riff to "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" is nasty and almost sounds like hot fucking put to music.

Hey Sod018,

How are you? I totally agree - Can't You Hear Me Knocking has to be one of the greatest guitar riffs ever. The Stones have been one of my favorite bands since I was about 10 or 11 years old & when I first heard Let It Bleed & Sticky Fingers. I love that video of the Stones with Buddy Guy - I've seen Buddy Guy live so many times, he's put on so many wild performances.

Hey Sod018,

How are you? I totally agree - Can't You Hear Me Knocking has to be one of the greatest guitar riffs ever. The Stones have been one of my favorite bands since I was about 10 or 11 years old & when I first heard Let It Bleed & Sticky Fingers. I love that video of the Stones with Buddy Guy - I've seen Buddy Guy live so many times, he's put on so many wild performances.

Johnny oooooo ! Suave you are so fucking suave man. I never seen the stoned jamming with Buddy Rich but that definetly sounds like something to check out. Stones have some great album titles don't they "Sticky Fingers" and "Get Yer Ya Yas Out " come to mind.

Hey Sod, How the shit are you? I'm good, I'm real fuckin' good. You have excellent taste in music.

You gotta check this clip out, it's a must see for any Stones fan - this is such an amazing performance.

This is the famous incident, at the end of the video, where Keith Richards gives Buddy Guy his favorite guitar as a gift (copy & paste):

The Last Waltz is such a great movie & Robbie Robertson's guitar sound was so amazing. I love that part when Eric Clapton's guitar slips from his hands & Robbie takes a blistering solo. It looks like Robbie was using a Fender Bassman amp, probably a late 50's model.

The word on the street is that in the 50's in nightclubs, Chicago & Memphis blues guitarists like Buddy Guy (Buddy used a Bassman) & Elmore James, etc. were cranking their amps so loud to get distortion & feedback, but it was rarely captured on vinyl because record producers would fight them on it, saying that it sounded like a bunch of noise & they didn't think the sound would sell records, forcing them to lower the volumes on their amplifiers, until a few years later in England, Marshall Amps copied the Fender Bassman & made the first few models of Marshall Amps (which were basically copies of the Fender Bassman) & then the British Blues sound was born & then it was too late.

Here's to Ben, we love Ben (it sucks that Dennis Hopper is gone, such a great actor).

Have a good day.

Johnny oooooo ! Suave you are so fucking suave man. I never seen the stoned jamming with Buddy Rich but that definetly sounds like something to check out. Stones have some great album titles don't they "Sticky Fingers" and "Get Yer Ya Yas Out " come to mind.

There's a bakery on 2nd Ave. in NYC called Sticky Fingers, actually just a few doors down from where the Fillmore East used to be.

I'm guessing the owner is a Stones fan.

I agree with you - I saw Morrissey at the Garden in the 90s. The show was minimalist and constantly interrupted by guys jumping on stage to hug him, but the music was good.

I grew up in a small town in New England, and listened mostly to pop in high school. When I went to college in NYC, I discovered this amazing cross-section of intelligent, dark, mysterious, Goth women who were listening to The Smiths, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Echo And The Bunnymen, The The, Bauhaus, The Cure, Peter Murphy etc. Opened up a whole new world for me - hearing some of that music now makes me feel very melancholy for those days. Mistress Tran, it seems that this would be the perfect setup for a scenario in the Steel Room. Lights down really low, you dressed in your best late-80s Goth wear with black makeup, all of this music playing in the background and a slow, slow torturous and painful session...

You also mentioned you've been listening to Pearl Jam lately. If you like them, try listening to Temple Of The Dog. It's most of the members of Pearl Jam plus Chris Cornell from Soundgarden. Pretty good stuff. From Pearl Jam I usually jump to Screaming Trees or Alice In Chains. Of course, as above, Soundgarden is fantastic, a little more aggressive than Pearl Jam. There's one song from School Of Fish called "Three Strange Days" from that era that I just love - it is spot-on about a weekend in college I'll never forget.

Anyone else notice that Justin Bieber's new haircut makes him look like a young Morrissey???

I agree with you - I saw Morrissey at the Garden in the 90s. The show was minimalist and constantly interrupted by guys jumping on stage to hug him, but the music was good.

I grew up in a small town in New England, and listened mostly to pop in high school. When I went to college in NYC, I discovered this amazing cross-section of intelligent, dark, mysterious, Goth women who were listening to The Smiths, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Echo And The Bunnymen, The The, Bauhaus, The Cure, Peter Murphy etc. Opened up a whole new world for me - hearing some of that music now makes me feel very melancholy for those days. Mistress Tran, it seems that this would be the perfect setup for a scenario in the Steel Room. Lights down really low, you dressed in your best late-80s Goth wear with black makeup, all of this music playing in the background and a slow, slow torturous and painful session...

You also mentioned you've been listening to Pearl Jam lately. If you like them, try listening to Temple Of The Dog. It's most of the members of Pearl Jam plus Chris Cornell from Soundgarden. Pretty good stuff. From Pearl Jam I usually jump to Screaming Trees or Alice In Chains. Of course, as above, Soundgarden is fantastic, a little more aggressive than Pearl Jam. There's one song from School Of Fish called "Three Strange Days" from that era that I just love - it is spot-on about a weekend in college I'll never forget.

Anyone else notice that Justin Bieber's new haircut makes him look like a young Morrissey???

I actually have heard of Pearl Jam.

Great gothic session idea! You ready for it?