"J is for JESSY" who died of ennui

Mistress Kang

This is sort of a continuation from the other "storm" threads...

New Yorkers are unfamiliar with the slightest turbulence in weather. Of my recollection, before the hurricane before Sandy, the last big snowstorm was about 8-10 years ago and before that was around (just before) 1985, I was walking through fresh snow piled so high that reached past my knees. I think around the same time there was a hailstorm, huge balls of ice came crashing down for a short while and then it stopped. That was the one and only hailstorm I had ever experienced, felt as if I was being pelted with lead spitballs. And it made me think of the mailman lol "rain, snow, sleet or hail.." (used to have lots of stationery, one of the sets had envelopes with a poem on it, "D-liver D-letter D-sooner D-better").

Am I missing anything?

During the power outage, I went "home" where I discovered new levels of boredom (hence the topic title). But there were positive aspects to it- for example, an unexpected mini vacation as mentioned in the other thread.

Teeny Tiny Toothpaste.jpg

(Look! It's toothpaste for "guests" at the "B&B" I stayed at during Sandy LOL)

I spent a lot of time in the spare room used for storage full-time and as an office only part-time. I entertained myself by rummaging through the closets, cabinets, shelves, boxes, bags, and every single container I laid my eyes on. It was like having first dibbs on everything in a private thrift shop. There were multiples of almost everything you could think of, useful or not (my HS Algebra textbook was sitting on a shelf at eye level as if still in used).

Hoarders.jpg

(There were tons of obsolete computer punch cards- at least they were un-punched. This is just one small stack (on top of other obsolete computer paper).)

Hoarders2.jpg

(I hit the motherload here! A full box of VERY outdated continuous printer paper. Doesn't look like much was done with this package after it was delivered in the 80s- it never joined the pin feed printer it was destined for...)

At the end of my mini vacation I had way more bags than I had brought with me, they were packed with things I wanted rather than things I needed. And that was okay. I unloaded my bags at home, happy with all of my brand new old used stuff!

(Sorry- no pics for that.)

Must be a really slippery slope to turn "unintentional engineers of nostalgia" into "organized hoarders". Maybe more people know of others who are like this than I think! Are there any...engineers of this field...here on the Forum?? If yes, then, for the sake of satisfying my pleasure of viewing "home candids", would you please post 1-2 pics that show a part of your home that...has the most memories?? :D

My God, a computer museum!

I had many prints on that continous printpaper with graphics from programs from then. They were graphics from the ASCII like smileys and hearts and graphics from several figures, puppets etc. I saw an early Hello Kitty too. Like a few bit manga. They were used to design and print cards. I enjoyed stripping that chain part from the paper. Those programs were on those floppies! A:\> dir :P

I have floppies in a box wrapped in plastic still. Anyone has a floppydrive?

They have programs with people having their house filled with everything they ever got from stores gifts etc. They have their house filled so much, they can barely walk thru it.