Your Senses

Mistress Rey

There is an awareness of the senses in session that is unlike the way we use them in every day situations. Taste, touch, smell, sight, hearing. Sometimes one or more are deprived, to heightened others. I have been wondering... what sense do you feel closest to? That you perceive the world with the most? Which one could you take away, if you had to make the choice? Which one could you not live without?

For me, it's olfactory senses that I use the most. If I had to choose to be deprived of a sense...it would be touching. 

Touch deprivation would be freaky. Probably very hard to adapt to. We are constantly processing touch signals that inform us of our interaction with our surroundings. I think one would live a clumsy and hazardous life without touch.

Blindness is the saddest, as much of the world's beauty is visual, e.g. the fortress' mistresses.

Smell: we are so poor at it already that one might not notice, most of the day, that he has lost it. Furthermore, the inability to enjoy the fragrance of food, drinks, perfumes, seasons, etc., would be compensated by the bliss of not having to endure the filth of chicken farms, fertiliser, dog crap, Mexico City, Donald Trump perfumes...

Hearing: OK, so no more music. Sucky. On the other hand, no more bad music either, no more loud neighbours and a lifelong pass to ignore fools, children, mothers-in-law. Tempting.

Taste: better lose that than smell. There is too much salt and sugar in our food anyway. I go for taste.

I suppose I fear the loss of sight more than the loss of any other sense. Yet if I could see but not have the sense of touch or being touched that would be a tragedy in its own right.  In fact I could image a blind person having an enhanced sense of touch and a profound feeling of intimacy with a lover.  If I could still hear her voice, feel the warmth of her body, taste her body in most intimate ways the eyesight may be a bit less important of the two. Would never choose to loose any of my senses.  I guess that the sense of smell might be the only one I could relinquish upon threat of life and limb.  

Dannyboy

Mistress Rey, I find your choices fascinating since mine are the opposite.  I couldn't get by without touch, but losing my olfactory senses would be fairly minor. 

Day to day, I probably use sight the most, but diving murky northeast wrecks has really improved my ability to perceive my environment solely through touch: Touch gets crazy amplified when all the others are cut off, and you can dive by braille. 

I would probably give up smell. Besides detecting smoke if you are around a fire, and making food taste better, I would be ok without it.

The sense I don't think I can't live without would be proprioception. (not originally listed, but was shown to be a separate sense). I can't imagine going to scratch my dick, only to end up with a finger in the eye because I couldn't coordinate my hands. :-)

But of the ones listed, it's between sight and hearing that i cant live without. I just cant decide

Mistress Rey 

that you would pick touching speaks volumes about your psyche 

I had suddenly lost my hearing in one ear. It was not the result of an accident or did it slowly deteriorate. On morning I could not hear a thing out of my left ear. I could still hear out of my right, so I wasn't completely deprived. It lasted about 10 days. It was annoying to listen in mono and not being able to tell where sound was coming from. 

What I did find amazing, as it slowly recovered the sounds become so precious that I would savor each one. I was excited to hear the sound from a flapping flag change as I approached .  To regain a depth perception in my hearing was grand.

So, I would prefer to hang on to my hearing.  I believe losing the olfactory sense would require the least amount of adjustment. 

I would probably give up smell. Besides detecting smoke if you are around a fire, and making food taste better, I would be ok without it.

The sense I don't think I can't live without would be proprioception. (not originally listed, but was shown to be a separate sense). I can't imagine going to scratch my dick, only to end up with a finger in the eye because I couldn't coordinate my hands. :-)

But of the ones listed, it's between sight and hearing that i cant live without. I just cant decide

Vas, if you were to give up proprioception and you stick your finger in your eye, you'll probably have to deal with blindness as well.  Unless you learn to stop scratching your dick

So interesting that most of you are okay with losing your olfactory sense. What about how it enhances food, makes your mouth water? The intoxicating scent of your lovers skin, how arousing and intimate that is? The scent of flowers wafting in the air in a field in spring? How you can smell something old, and it brings memories to you instantly? 

Have you read Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat?  Interesting and kind of sad at the same time...  Although we've never met, I imagine it's how I'd feel if I looked in the mirror and had your face and body.

So interesting that most of you are okay with losing your olfactory sense. What about how it enhances food, makes your mouth water? The intoxicating scent of your lovers skin, how arousing and intimate that is? The scent of flowers wafting in the air in a field in spring? How you can smell something old, and it brings memories to you instantly? 

Dear Ms. Rey:

The loss of any sense is in some respect tragic. Certain smells remind me of times and places past; of special moments with a lover.  Having to give up any sense is undesirable and it is only when confronted with a hypothetical question one will give a hypothetical answer. Would I ever want to give up the sight of her special smile, her taste, her voice, her scent or her touch? Never!  

Dannyboy

Mistress Rey, as you say "it enhances" Scent does add much to everything. It is the seasoning on a steak, not the meat. If I have to choose, I'll go with the meat rather than a  pile of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. 

Women have a better sense of smell than men, so that's probably one factor. You're also the sadist to my masochist so we might just fundamentally view the trade off between pleasure and functionality differently.

Seasoning? No. I see it as vital information. I was discussing it with Mistress Kang the other day, and we think it may be that our olfactory senses are a lot stronger than you males!

Would you rather taste the steak or smell the steak, Mistress Rey?  

I would rather smell the roses than taste the roses.  Would you rather smell the rose or see the rose? Difficult choice as the benefit in seeing and smelling are equal. I would rather touch and feel touched by a woman over smelling her. Not all smell as good last the Fortress Mistresses. 

I have lost my sense of smell many times with a cold and gotten by. I have lost my hearing, in one ear, and felt isolated and missing cues and conversation. The hearing loss was more difficult. 

"Look at that ! ",  "Did you see that?", " Did you hear what I heard? ", " Feel this" " Taste this" all these raise your level of excitement. When someone asks "Do you smell that ?" it usually means someone farted. 

Hi Mistress Rey,

I would loose olfactory sense if it was a choice.  I do agree that it is an extremely powerful sense.  Recently was down in the basement of my building talking with my super in his workroom.  The smell down there brought back memories of my grandfathers tool room when I was a very young child.  So it is an amazing sense.  

I would not want to loose any of my other senses especially sight or touch.

And the loss of noiception .  That would be a big one.  

• 2 weeks later...

There is an awareness of the senses in session that is unlike the way we use them in every day situations. Taste, touch, smell, sight, hearing. Sometimes one or more are deprived, to heightened others. I have been wondering... what sense do you feel closest to? That you perceive the world with the most? Which one could you take away, if you had to make the choice? Which one could you not live without?

For me, it's olfactory senses that I use the most. If I had to choose to be deprived of a sense...it would be touching.

I ponder this question often! I am sentimental over my senses. Sight and sound are emotionally tied for me, but I could never stand the thought of losing my vision forever.

I ponder this question often! I am sentimental over my senses. Sight and sound are emotionally tied for me, but I could never stand the thought of losing my vision forever.

Today I have been blind in one eye (temporarily) and understand up close and personal what it means to lose a sense and try to function without it.  Very distressing, very discouraging.  I may add more to this on the devotee Forum.

Dannyboy

Today I have been blind in one eye (temporarily) and understand up close and personal what it means to lose a sense and try to function without it.  Very distressing, very discouraging.  I may add more to this on the devotee Forum.

Dannyboy

Hope you are feeling better now. what happened?