Thanksgiving 2018

ConsentOptional

I like Thanksgiving.  It's simple and to the point.

Everyone has something to be thankful for + Everyone likes food = National Holiday. 

Done. 

It has a certain pagan appeal too.  A celebration of the harvest, the change of seasons, a defiant feast in the face of the encroaching winter.  I was raised catholic, and we can argue about this some other time, but the whole tribe are pagans under the skin.

Thanksgiving is quite fabulously and obstinately celebrated on a Thursday.  Not moved to the nearest Monday like less self-confident holidays.  That wouldn't placate the gods very well.  Because Thanksgiving needs to interrupt the work week, not append itself to the weekend like the embarrassed, approval-seeking +1 of some fall Sunday.  Thanksgiving arrives alone, removes its belt and tells a dirty joke.

The smells might be the best part.  We are animals, but animals with souls, and nothing reminds you of that more than the way certain food aromas connect your olfactory sense directly to your childhood memories, your ancestry, your most essential self.

We're all at each other's throats so easily these days.  Not here maybe, but just take a quick look at social media or comments section following any article on politics.  Never seen anything like it. 

Reduced to the basics, remembering to be grateful for at least one thing and eating something that makes you happy to the core is a pretty damn good way to spend an afternoon.  Especially now.  

12 hours ago, ConsentOptional said:

12 hours ago, ConsentOptional said:

Thanksgiving is quite fabulously and obstinately celebrated on a Thursday.  Not moved to the nearest Monday like less self-confident holidays.  That wouldn't placate the gods very well.  Because Thanksgiving needs to interrupt the work week, not append itself to the weekend like the embarrassed, approval-seeking +1 of some fall Sunday. 

CO,

I should have posted this a few days ago ... but didn't think anyone would be interested... 

It occured to me that you are the Fortress incarnation of Seth Godin... good advice, well said.

16 hours ago, ConsentOptional said:

Everyone has something to be thankful for + Everyone likes food = National Holiday. 

Done. 

It has a certain pagan appeal too.  A celebration of the harvest, the change of seasons, a defiant feast in the face of the encroaching winter.  I was raised catholic, and we can argue about this some other time, but the whole tribe are pagans under the skin.

Thanksgiving is quite fabulously and obstinately celebrated on a Thursday.  Not moved to the nearest Monday like less self-confident holidays.  That wouldn't placate the gods very well.  Because Thanksgiving needs to interrupt the work week, not append itself to the weekend like the embarrassed, approval-seeking +1 of some fall Sunday.  Thanksgiving arrives alone, removes its belt and tells a dirty joke.

The smells might be the best part.  We are animals, but animals with souls, and nothing reminds you of that more than the way certain food aromas connect your olfactory sense directly to your childhood memories, your ancestry, your most essential self.

We're all at each other's throats so easily these days.  Not here maybe, but just take a quick look at social media or comments section following any article on politics.  Never seen anything like it. 

Reduced to the basics, remembering to be grateful for at least one thing and eating something that makes you happy to the core is a pretty damn good way to spend an afternoon.  Especially now.  

CO-

Very well written 

I especially connected to the part where you wrote- about the memories the smell of certain foods can elicit !

Yes - much to be Thankful for - tho since passing of my spouse - much lonlier 

And -  Oh yes-  I too am Roman Catholic ( after college spent two years in a Seminary ) & I can identify what you say -

Best 

Adam 

• 1 year later...

Reviving this topic rather than creating a new one today, I wish a Happy Thanksgiving to Mistress Kang and all her Ladies since the founding of The Fortress wherever they may be. Happy Thanksgiving to all members currently active and to all I knew from the past.

Please enjoy yourselves, be safe and be happy.

Dannyboy