• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Mistress Mina Jung said:

What I’ve watched recently:

Unorthodox.  It was interesting learning about the Hasidic community. 

War of the Worlds. I think I got into this more because of what’s going on now.

Dear Mina:

I saw the original War of the Worlds several times but never saw the remake. Just watched The Graduate.

Dannyboy

4 hours ago, The Spermwhale said:

That's James Bond. Incidentally, Robert Shaw played one of my favorite Bond villiains, Red Grant.

SW:

I was referring to his demise by stepping on the third rail in Pelham 123. His actual death at age 51 and the circumstances was shocking as well. I did borrow from bond.

Dannyboy

11 hours ago, Dannyboy said:

SW:

I was referring to his demise by stepping on the third rail in Pelham 123. His actual death at age 51 and the circumstances was shocking as well. I did borrow from bond.

Dannyboy

I'm very familiar with that scene in 123. His character was ruthless, but also very discipline, methodical and practical. He had a mission and he knew the way to pull it off was to be totally professional and not let feelings get in the way . He was a soldier who somehow turned to criminality.

His character reminded me of Brando's speech in Apocalypse Now, when he described being in special forces and coming across a village that they had inoculated and having the VC come when they left and hack off all the inoculated arms. First being horrified and sad ,but then understanding the ruthlessness and will to do that.  It caused him madness.  Robert Shaw's character in 123 was probably someone who would hack off arms , not for pleasure or any emotion, but as a means to an end.

It seems that Robert Shaw had an alcohol problem. They say in Jaws, the who Indianapolis speech was done under the influence as well as most of that scene. Died too young, he was an excellent actor.

2 hours ago, The Spermwhale said:

I'm very familiar with that scene in 123. His character was ruthless, but also very discipline, methodical and practical. He had a mission and he knew the way to pull it off was to be totally professional and not let feelings get in the way . He was a soldier who somehow turned to criminality.

His character reminded me of Brando's speech in Apocalypse Now, when he described being in special forces and coming across a village that they had inoculated and having the VC come when they left and hack off all the inoculated arms. First being horrified and sad ,but then understanding the ruthlessness and will to do that.  It caused him madness.  Robert Shaw's character in 123 was probably someone who would hack off arms , not for pleasure or any emotion, but as a means to an end.

It seems that Robert Shaw had an alcohol problem. They say in Jaws, the who Indianapolis speech was done under the influence as well as most of that scene. Died too young, he was an excellent actor.

Hi The Spermwhale,

Robert Shaw drank like crazy.  There is an excellent book called The Jaws Log about the making of Jaws by Carl Gottlieb.  He was living in a house wit Spielberg during the filming of the movie and kept a journal.  They would find Robert Shaw passed out in bushes cause he would fall over into them on his way home.  He would get that shitfaced.  One interesting fact is that Spielberg wrote his own version of the movie to see if he could do it.  The studio didn't use his script but it was a learning process for him.  

Hope this finds you safe,

Jayman

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Hi The Spermwhale,

Robert Shaw drank like crazy.  There is an excellent book called The Jaws Log about the making of Jaws by Carl Gottlieb.  He was living in a house wit Spielberg during the filming of the movie and kept a journal.  They would find Robert Shaw passed out in bushes cause he would fall over into them on his way home.  He would get that shitfaced.  One interesting fact is that Spielberg wrote his own version of the movie to see if he could do it.  The studio didn't use his script but it was a learning process for him.  

Hope this finds you safe,

Jayman

Hey Jayman,

Thanks for those tidbits. Jaws was a great movie and Shaw was great in it. Spielberg is great too. My favorite Spielberg movie is Raiders of the Lost Ark and my least favorite was Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. South Park did a funny bit on Spielberg and George Lucas raping Indiana Jones when that came out. 

He has done so many great movies though. I grew up on his stuff.

Hope you stay healthy and safe!

1917 is the best film I've seen in a very long time.  I wish I saw it in the theater.  Everything is intense.  I have to admit that I'm a little biased based on my military history as a combat infantryman.  War was the most insane experience that I've ever had to go through in my entire life.  What we are all experiencing now is a close second but completely different.

From a technical standpoint the film is amazing.  Everything is almost perfect.  The cinematography is mind blowing and it's so well written.  I love the score!  It's subtle and the piano and strings build up and become overwhelming at points.  Films this good are becoming the reason I started to hate superhero movies.

I hope everyone is safe,

Best,

Jayman

9 minutes ago, Doughboy said:

For whatever reason, I hadn't been watching much tv or movies for most of this stay-at-home time, but I just started watching some Looney Tunes. One of my favorites is Rabbit de Seville, which starts 8 minutes in https://watchcartoonsonline.info/looney-tunes-musical-masterpieces/?server=drive2

Wow, these cartoons are ingrained in my childhood psyche.

12 hours ago, Mistress Kang said:

Wow, these cartoons are ingrained in my childhood psyche.

That so reminds me of a cartoon with a cow and a butterfly collector. He sang a song "Butterflies, butterflies, I'm a collector of butterflies. I swing my net and catch them as they flutter by. Horseflies, shooflies, fireflies and time flies for I'm at my best, when I'm in a nest of butterflies..........."

I must have seen it in the '50's  and it bounced in my head for all that time. There was something then that made a troubling impression on me. Now I have to find it or I can never die in peace.

Dannyboy  

On 3/25/2020 at 11:56 AM, Jayman said:

Hi Mistrress Von Dietz!

Tiger King is mental!  Joe Exotic is a loon.  I had been reading up on him for years.  All I kept thinking was how my little sister and my nieces would want to pet the big tigers.  Those are wild animals!  It was cruel.  if you can find it, check out the documentary "The Elephant in The Living Room".  It's really interesting.  

Hope this finds you well!  

Jayman

Well, I definitely fell into the Tiger King trap.  
It feels like TK is the quarantine rite of passage!  I really can’t stand watching animals being caged or treated poorly, but I couldn’t stop watching. ? 

Thank you for the recommendation, I’ll check that out!  Hope you’re well Jayman! ?