Quarantine Movies and Shows

On 4/25/2020 at 11:58 PM, Xrispy said:

Ginger Baker is completely insane! I love that movie! But really the best drummer?You must never have seen Elvin Jones play. Now Gene Krupa is one swinging cat. Another topic altogether Is vlogger

Li Ziqu. Maybe she’s communist propaganda but damn she makes Martha Stewart look retarded! I’m so hungry!

Why are all the best drummers jazz guys. It seems that way. Those guys are all great!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/25/2020 at 11:26 AM, Dannyboy said:

SW:

The only film I remember about a drummer is "The Gene Krupa Story" and I had the good fortune to see him perform live over 50 years ago.

Dannyboy

It's always great to see legends perform. I try to see as many as I can while they are still here.

17 hours ago, Mistress Mina Jung said:

I never have either!  I remember how everyone went nuts for it...maybe I'll check it out too ?

Before the covid-19 who has time for tv. Now I'm turning into a brain dead jackass watching 5 hours a day trying to wait this out. If I watch the news I'll go crazy so this show has been a good diversion. Kept me entertained for a while. Definitely enjoyed it!

6 hours ago, The Spermwhale said:

The Mr Fabulous scene and n the restaurant was great. Did you recognize the waiter?

Haha, I sure did, but probably not until the dozenth time I'd seen the movie.  Now I want to go watch Pree-Wee's Big Adventure, haven't seen that in YEARS.

On 4/27/2020 at 4:37 PM, Mistress Mina Jung said:

I started watching the first episode but got distracted and didn't finish it.  Does it get better?  

I saw this one a while ago. I don't really remember the beginning, but I think it probably gets better. It was one of my favorite tv shows of things I have seen in maybe a year or so.

I've been watching "Shaka Zulu," which was a mini-series made for South African TV in the 80's.  I randomly looked it up because I have this distinct memory from when it first aired (I couldn't have been much older than 10 when it was on American TV).  It was of the last few minutes of the last episode, where (spoilers, I guess, if you can spoil a mini-series about a real historical figure) Shaka Zulu gets killed, the main village gets set on fire, and the totally epic theme music closes out the show.

The theme music really super epic for a TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMEIYfZS74

On 4/29/2020 at 9:20 PM, JustAGuy said:

I've been watching "Shaka Zulu," which was a mini-series made for South African TV in the 80's.  I randomly looked it up because I have this distinct memory from when it first aired (I couldn't have been much older than 10 when it was on American TV).  It was of the last few minutes of the last episode, where (spoilers, I guess, if you can spoil a mini-series about a real historical figure) Shaka Zulu gets killed, the main village gets set on fire, and the totally epic theme music closes out the show.

The theme music really super epic for a TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcMEIYfZS74

I have opined that "Shaka Zulu" and "Shogun" are the same story in different parts of the world. I watched it from start to finish not too long ago. I have it in a box set of DVD's and "Shogun" as well.

Dannyboy

23 hours ago, Dannyboy said:

I have opined that "Shaka Zulu" and "Shogun" are the same story in different parts of the world. I watched it from start to finish not too long ago. I have it in a box set of DVD's and "Shogun" as well.

Dannyboy

Well...that's a bit of a stretch, surely?  They've got the "white men show up with guns" thing in common, I guess, but Shaka and Ieyasu don't exactly end up the same way (neither do Zululand and Japan.)  Still, I've gotta see Shogun, I never have but it's a fascinating part of history and I've only heard good things about that miniseries.

17 hours ago, JustAGuy said:

Well...that's a bit of a stretch, surely?  They've got the "white men show up with guns" thing in common, I guess, but Shaka and Ieyasu don't exactly end up the same way (neither do Zululand and Japan.)  Still, I've gotta see Shogun, I never have but it's a fascinating part of history and I've only heard good things about that miniseries.

I mean that in a more general sense: Europeans getting involved in the affairs and internal politics of non-European lands, cultures and religions. In Shogun there is a beautiful love story that doesn't exist in Shaka Zulu. Each nation went on to different paths in world history. Both, however had long standing histories and traditions which clearly differed from that of the Europeans. Both considered the others to be inferior. I would advise everyone who might be interested to view both and draw conclusions or just enjoy both stories.

Dannyboy

On 4/21/2020 at 10:08 PM, Jayman said:

I liked this movie a lot!  Charlie Kaufman is a great screenwriter and this was his Directorial debut.  My favorite of his though is Adaptation with Being John Malkovich coming in a close second.

Being John Malkovich is one of my all times faves ?  Adaption is up there too but haven’t seen it in forever. I’m going to see if I can stream it somewhere! I’m going to check out your other recommendations jayman!

Watching a Japanese movie called "The Outsider" on Netflix with Jared Leto. And the movie is cool as shit and Jared Leto is cool as shit. The whole movie is dRiPpInG with RaW mAsCuLiNiTy and it's great you guys should watch it. He reminds me kinda of the driver from "Drive" where he barely talks and then just beats the shit out of a guy. It was critically acclaimed. Angry Japanese gangsters are so fucking cool its unbelievable. I wish I could join the Yakuza or the Mafia or something but I know I wouldn't make the cut; the Mafia and the Yakuza are only for Real Men

On 4/25/2020 at 11:58 PM, Xrispy said:

Ginger Baker is completely insane! I love that movie! But really the best drummer?You must never have seen Elvin Jones play. Now Gene Krupa is one swinging cat. Another topic altogether Is vlogger

Li Ziqu. Maybe she’s communist propaganda but damn she makes Martha Stewart look retarded! I’m so hungry!

GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS! Check out Tony Royster Jr., Miguel Lamas, Tommy Igoe, Robert Sput Searight, and also a guy called Patchdrums on Instagram. I know they're not oldies but they're definitely goodies. Although the oldies you guys listed were certainly goodies as well! 

6 hours ago, Mistress Von Dietz said:

Von Dietz misses her little tiny G.I. Jayman 

I miss you too!  You have no idea!  I wanna get lost in those big beautiful blue eyes again and make you laugh and smile!   I hope you are being safe. :wub:

On 5/3/2020 at 4:07 PM, Mistress Mina Jung said:

Being John Malkovich is one of my all times faves ?  Adaption is up there too but haven’t seen it in forever. I’m going to see if I can stream it somewhere! I’m going to check out your other recommendations jayman!

How are You, Jung!

You are so AWESOME!  So you know that? Too amazing.