Quarantine Movies and Shows

Has anyone seen The One I Love on Netflix? It stars Mark Duplass, one of the creators of Room 104, and has a very similar theme- supernatural, sort of Black Mirror-ish, things happening behind closed doors. If you can still enjoy a movie after spoiler like I can, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_I_Love_(film)

Here's the trailer WITHOUT spoilers:

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have not seen "The One I Love."

Has anyone mentioned "The Crown" on Netflix?  I picked it out as something I could watch with my Mom.  It's a series not a movie, chronicling the life of Queen Elizabeth II.  If you have even the slightest interest in Britain or 20th century history, it's been really interesting.  Great villains, like the bottomlessly oily and self-righteous Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (formerly King Edward VIII) who abdicated for love (good) but conspired with the Nazis to get the crown back (bad).  His younger brother (the "King's Speech" guy) dies relatively young from lung-cancer brought about by smoking and stress, so Edward is Elizabeth's favorite uncle in some ways but is sort of directly responsible for her Dad's death and refers to her as "Shirley Temple" in private letters because he thinks she's a simpleton.  He causes problems right up until the end, when he's exchanging letters with Prince Charles poisoning him against the entire royal family.

There's lots of interesting characters but it is a bit dry in the British TV way.  Kind of an interesting study on a woman who has an incredible amount of power but very restricted personal freedom.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, Mistress Kang said:

Has anyone seen The One I Love on Netflix? It stars Mark Duplass, one of the creators of Room 104, and has a very similar theme- supernatural, sort of Black Mirror-ish, things happening behind closed doors. If you can still enjoy a movie after spoiler like I can, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_I_Love_(film)

I have to check this out!  Thanks Mistress Kang!

Did you like the "Invisible Man"?  I did.

On 7/10/2020 at 12:26 AM, Jayman said:

I love watching motion pictures with subtitles.  I know head Mistress Kang mentioned how she really likes it a couple of years ago.  But I'm hoked on subtitles now.  

Then you'd probably enjoy "My Brilliant Friend" on HBO.. seasons 1 and 2 .. excellent.   The novels were very good and this didn't disappoint as is usually the case.

The sub-titles made it so much more enjoyable.

Takes place in post WWII Naples, with a cast of young unknown actors and the dialog is spoken in the true Neapolitan dialect ...  which is beautiful to listen to ... so that you are immersed in the story.

****  btw .. just watched the 1st episode of "The Vow"  also on HBO, which looks interesting ... a documentary about the so called "sex cult" Nxivm that was reported on in detail by the NY Times in 2017.

15 hours ago, Dannyboy said:

Watched "Monterey Pop" for the first time in a couple of years. Watched it in 1968 when it was released. So many of the performers are now deceased including Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Mama Cass. Seems like ancient history.

Dannyboy 

I was flipping the channels and came on it at the end. There was this dude soloing on a sitar for like 15 minutes. I was hoping to catch Hendrix or The Who .

On 9/9/2020 at 5:27 AM, The Spermwhale said:

I was flipping the channels and came on it at the end. There was this dude soloing on a sitar for like 15 minutes. I was hoping to catch Hendrix or The Who .

That was Ravi Shankar or was it Rabbi Chancre? Hendrix sang "Wild Thing" and set his guitar of fire and smashed it to bits. The Who sang "My Generation."

Dannyboy

On 9/7/2020 at 10:25 PM, franknot said:

Then you'd probably enjoy "My Brilliant Friend" on HBO.. seasons 1 and 2 .. excellent.   The novels were very good and this didn't disappoint as is usually the case.

The sub-titles made it so much more enjoyable.

Takes place in post WWII Naples, with a cast of young unknown actors and the dialog is spoken in the true Neapolitan dialect ...  which is beautiful to listen to ... so that you are immersed in the story.

****  btw .. just watched the 1st episode of "The Vow"  also on HBO, which looks interesting ... a documentary about the so called "sex cult" Nxivm that was reported on in detail by the NY Times in 2017.

Thank you!  

I’ve seen it! Are you surprised? LOL

for those of you that don’t, Jessy knows I’m into offbeat, odd, quirky, weird, yet interesting and makes you think kind of  shows and movies. Hmmm maybe that’s why I’m into all y’all’s ?

One of my friends game me their HBO Max password so I've been watching Raised By Wolves.  I love SCIFI and find this to be an interesting show.

Below is the link to the first episode that was released on YOUTUBE to get people interested in HBO Max.  There is a heavy theme of Faith vs Atheism ruling throughout the series.  Just a forwarning and the end of the first episode is pretty violent in a SCIFI way.  But its Ridley Scott so I'm on board.

Best,

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally watched "Rififi" from start to finish without interruption. I was very young when I watched it for the first time and was upset by all the violence. It was in French with English sub-titles. It seems that there was a scene of interest to S & M fans. The ex-con comes out of prison and finds that his lady was running around with another thug. He makes her remove  all her clothing and whips her with a belt. Of course she was out of camera range when her panties and bra came off and only the sound effects could be heard. All those years ago it upset me. Now it upset me that the whiipping wasn't visible and not half as many lashes as I would have given her.

Dannyboy