Your favorite place

Mistress Fei

I have three, but there are some significant similarities between them:

• The walking path near the Verrazano Bridge in Brooklyn, leading up towards Manhattan.
  • Battery Park (more specifically Rockefeller Park, near Chambers St, the one with the 'temple' and the sculptures)
  • A coastal path along the Japan Sea in the town of Kasumi (Google Maps link since this is a lesser known one)

All three are walking paths along the water, and I've either lived or spent significant time near each one (growing up, high school, post-college, respectively). There's something about coming to a large, open body of water (so not a lake, river, etc) that makes me feel renewed and almost absolved. I've even cast off physical objects into these oceans as a sort of ritual of release, and while I shouldn't have been polluting the water, at the time I honestly had no other way to unmoor myself from the things I was struggling with.

Whenever I feel really stuck or frustrated, I know it's because I need to visit the water again and make my peace.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The walking path near the Verrazano Bridge in Brooklyn, leading up towards Manhattan.
  • Battery Park (more specifically Rockefeller Park, near Chambers St, the one with the 'temple' and the sculptures)
  • A coastal path along the Japan Sea in the town of Kasumi (Google Maps link since this is a lesser known one)

I love these answers. My favorite spot is in Battery Park, too. It's called South Cove. It's a beautiful boardwalk that spirals onto itself and disappears into the water—at low tide you can see most of the structure, and then at high tide the end of the walkway is submerged. The whole thing is lined by quite excellent landscape architecture and lanterns of the most perfect shade of blue. At night—especially on a very cold night if you're dressed very warmly—it's just a perfect precious place, solemn and fairly silent, right between land and water, between city and nature, and, hey, between art and architecture. 

I used to like bringing girls there on dates, especially because it takes a little effort to get to. It's nice to drag someone further than they thought they were prepared to go and then find themselves absolutely delighted once they've made it. (If only I felt that way after the electricity, Mistress Fei!) But aside from that, I find it very meditative. It puts me in a reflective mood and gives me good grist for the mill.

In an airport.

For this gypsy soul, when I am in an airport I am usually at my happiest because either I'm off on an adventure or returning home from an adventure.

I love both the feeling of leaving and returning...they are equally special.

Dear Ms. Tran:

Returning is usually the downside of any trip as I am usually tired and facing a ton of work when I get back to the office. The only time returning was good to great was during my military service.

Dannyboy

I love these answers. My favorite spot is in Battery Park, too. It's called South Cove. It's a beautiful boardwalk that spirals onto itself and disappears into the water—at low tide you can see most of the structure, and then at high tide the end of the walkway is submerged. The whole thing is lined by quite excellent landscape architecture and lanterns of the most perfect shade of blue. At night—especially on a very cold night if you're dressed very warmly—it's just a perfect precious place, solemn and fairly silent, right between land and water, between city and nature, and, hey, between art and architecture. 

I used to like bringing girls there on dates, especially because it takes a little effort to get to. It's nice to drag someone further than they thought they were prepared to go and then find themselves absolutely delighted once they've made it. (If only I felt that way after the electricity, Mistress Fei!) But aside from that, I find it very meditative. It puts me in a reflective mood and gives me good grist for the mill.

Agreed about bringing dates/friends to that area in Battery Park. I have an old video of this actually, right before I left NY for a while, of standing on that pier with a very dear friend. For months after my departure I'd watch the video (not obsessively or anything...) just to hear the water and her laughter.

In an airport.

For this gypsy soul, when I am in an airport I am usually at my happiest because either I'm off on an adventure or returning home from an adventure.

I love both the feeling of leaving and returning...they are equally special.

This is fascinating. And I don't say that lightly--airports are such a source of anxiety for me. All those schedules and lines and cramped airplane seats.... oof. But I like your POV, the idea of a gypsy soul on an adventure, and I hope I can learn something from it. Ideally by tomorrow, during my 11 hour trip home :(