Favorite movie

Mistress Fei

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great list. I'll have to seek out the ones I haven't seen yet. I just watched Tie me up! Tie me down! the other day and loved it. I really must just see all of his movies. And Drawing Restraint 9 makes your list??? You're just totally awesome, aren't you, Mistress Fei?

Aw thank you James! I really liked the Cremaster cycle, admittedly haven't seen all of it since all the parts are hard to find, but DR9 I found to be more beautiful and elegant. Not to mention the core messages were easier to extract. Cremaster w/ it's changing characters and elements was distracting and more of a spectacle

Loooooove all by Almodovar. Let me know what you think of the rest of the films if you watch them!

Aw thank you James! I really liked the Cremaster cycle, admittedly haven't seen all of it since all the parts are hard to find, but DR9 I found to be more beautiful and elegant. Not to mention the core messages were easier to extract. Cremaster w/ it's changing characters and elements was distracting and more of a spectacle

Loooooove all by Almodovar. Let me know what you think of the rest of the films if you watch them!

:)

I feel the exact same way, plus I loooove Björk. I thought her score—and her pink outfit with fluffy pompoms—was awesome. In college a friend and I geekily downloaded the entire cycle and watched it all the way through. The bits I've seen in full high def are certainly stunning. But still. It's an impressive spectacle, and worth a little puzzling, but I found DR9 much more fully engaging.

What're a few Almodovar favs? I've only seen Volvér, Broken Embraces, and All About My Mother so far (loved all three).

:)

I feel the exact same way, plus I loooove Björk. I thought her score—and her pink outfit with fluffy pompoms—was awesome. In college a friend and I geekily downloaded the entire cycle and watched it all the way through. The bits I've seen in full high def are certainly stunning. But still. It's an impressive spectacle, and worth a little puzzling, but I found DR9 much more fully engaging.

What're a few Almodovar favs? I've only seen Volvér, Broken Embraces, and All About My Mother so far (loved all three).

yes, DR9 was easier to connect to because of the, albeit loose narrative. although i appreciate experimental films, i think just as a human being it's easier to process a narrative since that's how we tend to make meaning in our own lives. my favorite part was the scene at the end when they... i guess you could say, share sashimi. and yes! BJORK!  have you seen dancer in the dark? she's great in it. 

talk to her, the skin i live in, volver are a few of my favorites besides tie me up

i liked bad education and wasn't fond of i'm so excited, except now, given this current context, i'm sure i would like it more since one of the main characters is a high profile dominatrix!

which ones have you seen on my list that you liked?

My favorites in no particular order:

Fat Girl 

The City of Lost Children

Delicatessen

Dogtooth

Raise the Red Lantern

Cache

A Clockwork Orange

Holy Motors

Santa Sangre

Drawing Restraint 9

La Jetee

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

The Last Emperor

Tie me up! Tie me down! (go figure)

Eyes without a Face

Persona

The Devil's Backbone

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Betty Blue

Pierrot le Fou

Le Mepris

Chungking Express

Enter The Void

Like Someone in Love

Visitor Q

Amores Perros

Waltz w/ Bashir

Je Tu Il Elle

Mysterious Skin

Mauvais Sang

The Conversation

Badlands

Breaking The Waves

Wild at Heart

The Obscure Object of Desire

Nobody Knows

Natural Born Killers

.. I MEAN.. i could go on forever. Get me talking about films and I'll never stop.

A whole load of movies there that I have not seen or even heard of, I will have to check some out.

Have you ever seen 'Compliance'? It is based on a true story. I think you would enjoy the psychology aspect of it.

Has anyone seen Blue Ruin? It's on Netflix now.

It's becoming one of my favorite movies from last year (Saw it at a Fest).  Its the type of movie best viewed when you have no Idea what its about going into it.  And you have no idea how its going to turn out while watching it.  It's kinda scary and sad when you see it.

Another reason I think its a great flick is because it was made for around 35K!  The Writer/Director raised the money online.

It's not a long flick so check it out if you haven't seen it.

yes, DR9 was easier to connect to because of the, albeit loose narrative. although i appreciate experimental films, i think just as a human being it's easier to process a narrative since that's how we tend to make meaning in our own lives. my favorite part was the scene at the end when they... i guess you could say, share sashimi. and yes! BJORK!  have you seen dancer in the dark? she's great in it. 

talk to her, the skin i live in, volver are a few of my favorites besides tie me up

i liked bad education and wasn't fond of i'm so excited, except now, given this current context, i'm sure i would like it more since one of the main characters is a high profile dominatrix!

which ones have you seen on my list that you liked?

That's my favorite scene too! I felt so flushed the first time I saw it! And yeah, she's incredible in Dancer in the Dark.

I haven't seen most of your list yet, which is exciting. I just re-subscribed to Netflix today so I can start to change that. But the ones I've seen I've liked or loved: Delicatessen, Cache, Badlands, A Clockwork Orange, DR9, Persona, Natural Born Killers, Wild At Heart, oh and Tie me up. There are a few on your list I've been meaning to see for a while, and a bunch I haven't heard of. Fun fun!

Did you just call me a movie theater? Do you mean cinephile?

Mistress Fei, if I were to compare you to a building, it would be something more elegant than a cinema. The Eiffel tower comes to mind, slender and feminine, but she has four big feet. Perhaps the Alexandre III bridge, for the slim curves. Anyway, a cinemathèque is something like a library of congress for films. The kind of place where La jetée would almost be considered too commercial.

So what I meant was: great list. I just saw Mauvais sang: fantastic use of Bowie's Modern love.

Lately I have warched several films whose ending provided a punch which lifted the whole work, but not in the way a final revelation solves a mystery. Caché and Dogtooth are good examples, Holy motors also, but the last scene of Werckmeister harmóniák made, in one quiet, uneventful  and silent shot, the whole film soar from "where is this all going, and do I care ?" to "Oooo Lord I thank thee, for this was sublime."

• 2 years later...

Reviving a topic so maybe the more recent Mistresses and subs can add their favorites.

Some of my non western favorites are:

The 39 Steps (1935)

The Lady Vanishes (1938)

And Then There Were None (1945)

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Gunga Din (1939)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

Brute Force (1947)

Battleground (1949)

Twelve O'clock High (1949)

The Narrow Margin (1952)

Stalag 17 (1953)

The Counterfeit Traitor (1962)

Cool Hand Luke (1967)

Three Days of the Condor (1975)

Breakthrough (1950)

Home of the Brave (1949)

Bright Victory (1951)

White Heat (1949)

Sahara (1943)

Brief Encounter (1945)

Many more.

I recently started watching bad sci fi movies like They live (1988) and Johnny Mnemonic (1995)

The story line is pretty creative, but the acting is fucking hilarious. Definitely give these movies a try if you have nothing to do on a weekend!

The granddaddy of bad sci fi movies is Plan 9 from Outer Space (filmed in 1956, released in 59). So bad it's hysterically funny.

Ray:

Gunga Din is in my personal collection. Cool Hand Luke in my opinion is the best of the rest.

Dannyboy

Dannyboy:

Gunga Din was one of the incredible number of classic movies from 1939. Similar to The Four Feathers, another classic from the same year. 1939 was probably the biggest year in movie history. The only movie on my list that is not in my collection is Bright Victory, which has never been available in any home video format.

So, you finally saw Cool Hand Luke. Did Mistress Kang encourage you to see it?

Ray

I can't warm up to these new characters, I bet the Han Solo movie coming next year will be cool.

Hey Spermwhale,

What’s up dude?

I just didn’t like it as a movie. There was no clear idea, in the long run, of what the story was. Like, why did Luke leave a map to find him if he didn’t want to be found? J.J. Abrahams directed the first movie in this new trilogy without a known ending to the trilogy. Much like he did with Lost (which was not good in my opinion). So all these questions are set up that are just thrown out the window in TLJ. Rian Johnson, the writer and director of TLJ, is working on the next Star Wars trilogy which takes place in a completely different galaxy far far away that the chercters in these movies don’t even know about yet. So I suspect Snoke might be from that galaxy. Honestly, fuck this franchise.

Oh and the SOLO: A Star Wars Story is slated to be released in May off this year (if that hasn’t changed). And I question the quality of that because Disany firesd the two guys that wrote and directed it then brought in Ron Howard to finish the production. I will not be spending my money on any more of these movies but instead put it aside to spend on beuitiful, dominant women to beat the shit out of me for being the little perv that I am.

Hi TDM,

Why did you like this movie? I’m just curious. I really didn’t like it for multiple reasons and I personally think the writer director is overblown with praise for his other films (Brick was not to my liking at all).

I haven't seen Rian Johnson's other movies so I can't comment on those.

In regards to TLJ I thought it was different from any other Star Wars movie to date while still maintaining that its Star Wars. The answers to the questions raised in the TFA were unexpected, but I liked that, especially the answer to who is Rey's parents. It was not the answer fans were looking for but the way it was revealed really impacted her at that moment. The movie kept me guessing on what Kylo Ren would do next, it was unpredictable.

I liked what was done with Luke. What they did in the end with him still gives me chills when I think about it. I thought this was Mark Hamill's best performance as Luke. Carrie Fisher turned in a great performance for her last movie.

It wasn't a perfect movie, but for me the positives far outweighed the negatives. I can't wait to see what happens next.