Favorite movie

Mistress Fei

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Spermwhale,

What’s up dude?

I just didn’t like it as a movie. There was no clear idea, in the long run, of what the story was. Like, why did Luke leave a map to find him if he didn’t want to be found? J.J. Abrahams directed the first movie in this new trilogy without a known ending to the trilogy. Much like he did with Lost (which was not good in my opinion). So all these questions are set up that are just thrown out the window in TLJ. Rian Johnson, the writer and director of TLJ, is working on the next Star Wars trilogy which takes place in a completely different galaxy far far away that the chercters in these movies don’t even know about yet. So I suspect Snoke might be from that galaxy. Honestly, fuck this franchise.

Oh and the SOLO: A Star Wars Story is slated to be released in May off this year (if that hasn’t changed). And I question the quality of that because Disany firesd the two guys that wrote and directed it then brought in Ron Howard to finish the production. I will not be spending my money on any more of these movies but instead put it aside to spend on beuitiful, dominant women to beat the shit out of me for being the little perv that I am.

They made Luke Skywalker out to be a crazy old man. I didn't care for it, but I'll still go see the franchise out of nostalgia. And spending money on dominant, beautiful woman to beat the crap out of ya is money well spent! Thanks Jay!

Apparently this is a controversial opinion now - but I really am a big fan of the DCEU films. My personal favorites are Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman. I liked Justice League as well. I'm a huge comic book fan, and don't really give a shit what critics think. If the comic book fan in me is pleased, I think it's a good movie.

I do look forward to seeing Solo. I'm a bit nervous about it because of the director change, but I am hoping for the best. Han Solo is one of my favorite characters.

I like Han Solo and I liked his interaction with Jabba the Hut, and the way he wasted that bounty Hunter (Greido) in the first one.

Apparently this is a controversial opinion now - but I really am a big fan of the DCEU films. My personal favorites are Batman v Superman and Wonder Woman. I liked Justice League as well. I'm a huge comic book fan, and don't really give a shit what critics think. If the comic book fan in me is pleased, I think it's a good movie.

I liked all those movies as well and I'll add Suicide Squad as well to the list. Wonder Woman is my favorite from the list but I found Justice League thoroughly enjoyable as well. I also think all the Marvel movies are great as well. I guess I am a sucker for the "geek" movies.

I liked all those movies as well and I'll add Suicide Squad as well to the list. Wonder Woman is my favorite from the list but I found Justice League thoroughly enjoyable as well. I also think all the Marvel movies are great as well. I guess I am a sucker for the "geek" movies.

Are you excited for Black Panther? I am, it comes out two days after Valentine's day and honestly is Marvel's best valentine's gift possible to me.

I liked Wonder Woman but when I saw it again (after it came out for rent) I I stopped watching as soon as Diana left Themyscira.  That was my favorite part of the movie.  BvS was Ok and I haven't scene JL yet so I'm hoping it's a fun ride.  I thought Suicide Squad was OK though I loved Margo Rabbie in it.  I want to see more badass female villains in comics and movies.  Like I loved Bomb Queen from Image comics.  It was silly and fun but no other comic company has had the balls to make their protagonist a an evil, murdering, egocentric deplorable female.

What comics do you read?  Do you favor Marvel or DC?  I like indie books myself or the more adult stuff done by DC.  Right now I find the upheaval over at Marvel Comics very interesting and have been keeping up on the news.  I used to be a huge Marvel fan but stopped reading their books about a year ago when they started changing everything to be more political under Axel Alanso as editor in chief.  I actually know C.B. Cebulski the new Editor in Chief they brought in after getting rid of Axel.  C.B. is a great guy and I hope he does well but I feel bad for him now that he is getting all this flack for canceling  the comics that aren't selling.  America Chavez was the worst comic I've ever read and that character was named Superhero of the year by Entertainment Weekly.  Three days later that book was canceled.

I like all the Marvel movies also!  And dude, I was surprised by Ant-Man.  

Are you excited for Black Panther? I am, it comes out two days after Valentine's day and honestly is Marvel's best valentine's gift possible to me.

Black Panther looks so Awesome!  And I can not wait to see what they do with the Captain Marvel and Black Widow movies.  

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that makes this forum fun is the diversity of opinions. I for one thought The Last Jedi was great .

I liked it too.  Some of the criticisms are legit, other come across as sour grapes. 

The Solo teaser trailer  that aired during the Super Bowl  reminded me of the Rogue  One trailer in terms of it's tone. Like some other posters, I too am worried about the change in director but we shall see. 

I liked Wonder Woman but when I saw it again (after it came out for rent) I I stopped watching as soon as Diana left Themyscira.  That was my favorite part of the movie.  BvS was Ok and I haven't scene JL yet so I'm hoping it's a fun ride.  I thought Suicide Squad was OK though I loved Margo Rabbie in it.  I want to see more badass female villains in comics and movies.  Like I loved Bomb Queen from Image comics.  It was silly and fun but no other comic company has had the balls to make their protagonist a an evil, murdering, egocentric deplorable female.

What comics do you read?  Do you favor Marvel or DC?  I like indie books myself or the more adult stuff done by DC.  Right now I find the upheaval over at Marvel Comics very interesting and have been keeping up on the news.  I used to be a huge Marvel fan but stopped reading their books about a year ago when they started changing everything to be more political under Axel Alanso as editor in chief.  I actually know C.B. Cebulski the new Editor in Chief they brought in after getting rid of Axel.  C.B. is a great guy and I hope he does well but I feel bad for him now that he is getting all this flack for canceling  the comics that aren't selling.  America Chavez was the worst comic I've ever read and that character was named Superhero of the year by Entertainment Weekly.  Three days later that book was canceled.

I like all the Marvel movies also!  And dude, I was surprised by Ant-Man.  

Black Panther looks so Awesome!  And I can not wait to see what they do with the Captain Marvel and Black Widow movies.  

I'm definitely more of a DC fan - Their heroes are more iconic and I had more exposure to them growing up. With that said, I love Marvel as well. I think a successful film from either DC or Marvel is a success for comic books in general. I hated the New52 but respect Geoff Johns a lot. Why did you leave WW after Diana left Themyscira? My favorite scene was her crossing no man's land, it literally brought tears to my eyes.

My latest favorite movie is "The Greatest Showman".  It is a BIG MOVIE with a great sound track.

They must have had a great time making it.  Here is a "rehearsal" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluaPvhkIMU...Watchit through..  

Added to my list! What did you like best about it?

Definitely! Also the trailer for Infinity War has me super excited.

Sooooooo excited about Black Panther!

I can't wait to see Black Panther! And to read everyone's reactions over here.

I, too, am pumped to see Black Panther! It looks so energizing!!

I just got invited to the Marvel screening of Black Panther tonight! I’ll let you all know what I thought after seeing it.

I’m so lucky and so, so psyched!

So I saw Black Panther last night at the Marvel Screening in Lincoln square.  I've been to a few of the Marvel screenings because I'm lucky enough to have a couple of friends that work for Marvel comics.  The screenings are always fun to go to because everyone is excited to see something they work so hard on come to the big screen.

Black Panther was a good super hero movie.  It wasn't the best ever like people are hoping but it was good.  Every actor was great and all had good performances.  Michel B. Jordan was an excellent villain.  His character was well thought out and during the course of the movie you learn his motivations and how he became the monster that he is.  I wish the movie was longer and he had more to do in the second half.  I wanted to see how far he could go.  

The filmmakers do a good job of explaining Wakanda and I was pleased that the majority of the movie takes place there.   They do leave and go to South Korea for one part of the film pretty early on.  I really wanted to see that because I visited the set in Atlanta last year and they had built a huge street market.  So part of the scenes were filmed in Atlanta and the others were shot in Seoul.  So form that standpoint it was interesting to see how all that was put together. 

The only complaint I have is that very early on there is an action sequence where Black Panther is kicking ass but the cinematography is too tight.  It should have been shot wider because its confusing.  It takes a minute to figure out what is going on.   

The post credit scenes are pointless.  Not worth waiting through credits for a throw away scene, In my opinion.  If you've scene CA: Civil War and remember what happens at the end of that the last post credit scene kinda ties that up.

Black Panther Facts:

Black Panthers are not separate from other types of Panthers.  They have spots!  But due to the excess black pigment melanin you can not see them. 

They are not very social creatures and usually only fraternize during mating season. 

There are Black Leopards, Black Jaguars and Black Cougars. 

This stuff isn't in the movie.  I Googled it!

So I saw Black Panther last night at the Marvel Screening in Lincoln square.  I've been to a few of the Marvel screenings because I'm lucky enough to have a couple of friends that work for Marvel comics.  The screenings are always fun to go to because everyone is excited to see something they work so hard on come to the big screen.

Black Panther was a good super hero movie.  It wasn't the best ever like people are hoping but it was good.  Every actor was great and all had good performances.  Michel B. Jordan was an excellent villain.  His character was well thought out and during the course of the movie you learn his motivations and how he became the monster that he is.  I wish the movie was longer and he had more to do in the second half.  I wanted to see how far he could go.  

The filmmakers do a good job of explaining Wakanda and I was pleased that the majority of the movie takes place there.   They do leave and go to South Korea for one part of the film pretty early on.  I really wanted to see that because I visited the set in Atlanta last year and they had built a huge street market.  So part of the scenes were filmed in Atlanta and the others were shot in Seoul.  So form that standpoint it was interesting to see how all that was put together. 

The only complaint I have is that very early on there is an action sequence where Black Panther is kicking ass but the cinematography is too tight.  It should have been shot wider because its confusing.  It takes a minute to figure out what is going on.   

The post credit scenes are pointless.  Not worth waiting through credits for a throw away scene, In my opinion.  If you've scene CA: Civil War and remember what happens at the end of that the last post credit scene kinda ties that up.

Black Panther Facts:

Black Panthers are not separate from other types of Panthers.  They have spots!  But due to the excess black pigment melanin you can not see them. 

They are not very social creatures and usually only fraternize during mating season. 

There are Black Leopards, Black Jaguars and Black Cougars. 

This stuff isn't in the movie.  I Googled it!

LOLOL thanks for the facts! I saw it last night too and teared up so many times. Honestly the post-credits scene seemed more like fan service than anything.

I'm definitely more of a DC fan - Their heroes are more iconic and I had more exposure to them growing up. With that said, I love Marvel as well. I think a successful film from either DC or Marvel is a success for comic books in general. I hated the New52 but respect Geoff Johns a lot. Why did you leave WW after Diana left Themyscira? My favorite scene was her crossing no man's land, it literally brought tears to my eyes.

Did you really tear up in Wonder Woman and Black Panther?  Why?  I've never been brought to tears from watching a movie.  Well, thats not true.  I did cry when I saw the original Godzilla from 1954. I cried because they killed Godzilla at the end and I was 5 years old. 

On my second viewing of Wonder Woman, once they left Themyscira, I already knew the movie and everything that was going happen so I just turned it off.  Don't get me wrong I thought WW was a really good superhero flick I just knew I wasn't going to be surprised by anything.  Also when I see SCIFI/Superhero or fantasy movies I really enjoy the world building and wanted to spend more time in Themyscira.  That is one thing I rally liked about Black Panther, we got to spend a lot of the movie in Wakanda.   

I felt a flush of emotion during the kiss in Wonder Woman, among other scenes. I'll have to watch again to see if I saw it correctly, but it felt very much like the camera was positioned to frame Diana as the agent of desire and Steve as more of the object. Of course, the female gaze being richer and more sophisticated than our stunted male gaze, Steve's agency was heightened rather than erased by Diana's.

A lot of tears fell from my eyes during Black Panther, and likely will again when I see it again. Part of it is simply the subtle storytelling and compelling characters (did Sterling K. Brown elicit nothing in you, Jayman??), part of it is the thrill of the ever-urgent historical/social commentary, part of it is the sheer exhilaration of seeing so many amazing black female characters in such big-scale popular entertainment—and sadness at how long it's taken. I mean, just the mere fact of the costume design and the hair. Tears of joy.

I felt a flush of emotion during the kiss in Wonder Woman, among other scenes. I'll have to watch again to see if I saw it correctly, but it felt very much like the camera was positioned to frame Diana as the agent of desire and Steve as more of the object. Of course, the female gaze being richer and more sophisticated than our stunted male gaze, Steve's agency was heightened rather than erased by Diana's.

A lot of tears fell from my eyes during Black Panther, and likely will again when I see it again. Part of it is simply the subtle storytelling and compelling characters (did Sterling K. Brown elicit nothing in you, Jayman??), part of it is the thrill of the ever-urgent historical/social commentary, part of it is the sheer exhilaration of seeing so many amazing black female characters in such big-scale popular entertainment—and sadness at how long it's taken. I mean, just the mere fact of the costume design and the hair. Tears of joy.

It was honestly so refreshing seeing Wonder Woman - a movie about a woman not told from the male gaze. It was like putting on glasses for the first time and realizing that we don't need any gratuitous shots of Gal Gadot's ass for it to be a good movie. 

Hi questionmarks,

Honestly no.  Acting doesn't hit me emotionally.  I enjoy movies and films that have great stories and make me think.   Like there were a couple of things in Black Panther I wished they explored more.  One of which being the Rhinos at the end.  I wish there was more of a reason for them to be added to the action.  A co-worker of mine was saying that Ryan Coogler wanted to have a sub plot about the poaching of Rhinos.  He asked Marvel if he could incorporate the Spider-Man villain Kraven into the movie.  Kraven is a hunter/poacher and an evil badass.  Marvel wouldn't allow Kraven in the movie because they are already developing a story line for that character in future MCU movies.  I think Coogler had a great idea and wish they could have worked it into Black Panther.