Favorite movie

Mistress Fei

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hard to say what my favorite film is but I recently re-watched The Dreamers.  I have actually seen this film a few times but something about it really appeals to me.  

I found this Patti Smith (who I love) song set to scenes from the film.

OHMYGOD, I love that movie but moreso because I LUST HARD for Michael Pitt ;-)

Love Patti Smith,

Don't care about Michael Pitt,

but from the youtube cover shot,

I thought I'd see some tit

Favorite topic- I love films!

I tend to love films with some strong social commentary and controversial viewpoint on a topic. It could be any topic- as long as it's culturally relevant and progressive.

For example I really loved some films with French actress Catherine Deneuve in the 60s. She starred in this CHILLING psychological film by Roman Polanski himself, called Repulsion, where an extremely paranoid woman is repulsed by men and sex but secretly entertains fantasies of being raped while she is left alone in her apartment.

She also played in another 60's movie Belle du Jour, where she plays a Parisian housewife who daydreams of all kinds of wild sexual trysts, and becomes a day time prostitute where she could explore her sexuality while her husband was away at work. I love a cinematic work that explores the complexity of people's needs and desires, especially a woman's sexual desires, as imagine in the 60s, this wasn't even something possible to discuss openly! Or that women were even seen as having sexual agency. 

MV5BMTU3MzI5NDE1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUw

I get such a dominatrix vibe from Deneuve.

Umbrellas of Cherbourg DeNeuve is my favorite Deneuve!

I think Fargo is my favorite movie because it's kind of perfect and it's really rewatchable.

Whiplash was the best movie I saw in 2014.

I've heard that said about Fargo, and I liked it as a movie but it didn't wow me like the others I've listed.  What did you like about Fargo so much?  

I was considering seeing Whiplash while its still in theaters, I like the experience ;-)

btw, the movie title always reminds me of YOU WHIPLASH!!!!

Umbrellas of Cherbourg DeNeuve is my favorite Deneuve!

I think Fargo is my favorite movie because it's kind of perfect and it's really rewatchable.

Whiplash was the best movie I saw in 2014.

Fargo is a great film. Almost believable. Gotta be in the top 2% of those I've seen in my life.

Dannyboy

Its hard to say what my favorite film is but I recently re-watched The Dreamers.  I have actually seen this film a few times but something about it really appeals to me.  

I found this Patti Smith (who I love) song set to scenes from the film.

http://youtu.be/ujyWQW8AhiA

Mistress Tran, 

Your recommendation plus Patti Smith's musical contribution definitely make this one a must see!!!

First, welcome to the Fortress Mistress Rey. 

Second, interesting take on the movie Repulsion. Its definitely a movie I enjoyed since watching it in college for a media studies class on paranoia. The class developed a great deal of fondness for Chuck Pahluniak, David Cronenberg's horror, and Alfred Hitchcock in particular. In any case, Repulsion's central theme of paranoia and her resulting delusions onset by sexual assault struck me more as trauma rather than sexual fantasy. 

I thought it was more about trauma too, but remember the scene where she puts lipstick before going to bed and smiles before she starts dreaming? I interpreted it as more a complex situation because of that key scene, a fantasy induced by trauma. 

I've heard that said about Fargo, and I liked it as a movie but it didn't wow me like the others I've listed.  What did you like about Fargo so much?  

I was considering seeing Whiplash while its still in theaters, I like the experience ;-)

btw, the movie title always reminds me of YOU WHIPLASH!!!!

I would recommend Whiplash! It was such a good psychological movie, has you gripping your chair until the end! One of the best movies I've seen in a long time and it has great reviews. :-) 

Inherent Vice is hilarious!!!!  Please look for the scene when they're riding in the cop car together and he's eating a popsicle.  Can you guess which part of that scene had me laughing louder than anyone in the theater LOL

Mistress Kang, it had to be that the popsicle was purple!

On a side note, you would probably not have guessed that in the 70's I looked very much like Doc. I have the picture to prove it which I will be bringing with me to my visit with Mistress Zhao next week.

My favorites in no particular order:

Fat Girl 

The City of Lost Children

Delicatessen

Dogtooth

Raise the Red Lantern

Cache

A Clockwork Orange

Holy Motors

Santa Sangre

Drawing Restraint 9

La Jetee

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

The Last Emperor

Tie me up! Tie me down! (go figure)

Eyes without a Face

Persona

The Devil's Backbone

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Betty Blue

Pierrot le Fou

Le Mepris

Chungking Express

Enter The Void

Like Someone in Love

Visitor Q

Amores Perros

Waltz w/ Bashir

Je Tu Il Elle

Mysterious Skin

Mauvais Sang

The Conversation

Badlands

Breaking The Waves

Wild at Heart

The Obscure Object of Desire

Nobody Knows

Natural Born Killers

.. I MEAN.. i could go on forever. Get me talking about films and I'll never stop.

Fargo is a great film. Almost believable. Gotta be in the top 2% of those I've seen in my life.

Dannyboy

Newsweek included Fargo in their best 50 comedies list. Comedy ? One would have to be a serious mouth-breather of a journalist to think a film is a comedy just because its characters feature a Minnesota accent. Few films are as somber.

My favorites in no particular order:

Fat Girl 

The City of Lost Children

Delicatessen

Dogtooth

Raise the Red Lantern

Cache

A Clockwork Orange

Holy Motors

Santa Sangre

Drawing Restraint 9

La Jetee

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

The Last Emperor

Tie me up! Tie me down! (go figure)

Eyes without a Face

Persona

The Devil's Backbone

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Betty Blue

Pierrot le Fou

Le Mepris

Chungking Express

Enter The Void

Like Someone in Love

Visitor Q

Amores Perros

Waltz w/ Bashir

Je Tu Il Elle

Mysterious Skin

Mauvais Sang

The Conversation

Badlands

Breaking The Waves

Wild at Heart

The Obscure Object of Desire

Nobody Knows

Natural Born Killers

.. I MEAN.. i could go on forever. Get me talking about films and I'll never stop.

Mistress Fei, you are a regular cinémathèque. If I ever have a S & D session with you, I know just how to prolong supper far past its scheduled end: I just keep bringing up films. Who knows, the D part of our encounter might start with light talk about cinema and before we know it our time would be up. I would not even want my money back.

By the way, the correct english title is That obscure object of desire. Does one earn free kicks for correcting a mistress ?

Newsweek included Fargo in their best 50 comedies list. Comedy ? One would have to be a serious mouth-breather of a journalist to think a film is a comedy just because its characters feature a Minnesota accent. Few films are as somber.

I don't know. Its still a comedy though the Coen Brothers tend towards the darker side of humor. Not eve comedy needs to be a RomCom, have Will Farrell, or include fart jokes.

I would never have thought of Fargo as a comedy although some of the characters are flawed in a comical sense. The darker side of the human condition comes out in ways that might make one laugh rather than recoil in horror. It is too light to be a deep psychological thriller and too somber to pass as a comedy. There was a triumph of good over evil and a classic reaffirmation of traditional values. I think the name, Fargo, and the bitter cold and icy conditions surrounding the story make it all so depressing and an integral component of this dark drama.

Dannyboy

Mistress Fei, you are a regular cinémathèque. If I ever have a S & D session with you, I know just how to prolong supper far past its scheduled end: I just keep bringing up films. Who knows, the D part of our encounter might start with light talk about cinema and before we know it our time would be up. I would not even want my money back.

By the way, the correct english title is That obscure object of desire. Does one earn free kicks for correcting a mistress ?

Did you just call me a movie theater? Do you mean cinephile?