Favorite movie

Mistress Fei

The Holy Mountain:

I love Jodorowsky's epic masterpiece of his journey through symbols and their meanings, the alchemy of the human soul portrayed through moving images. Each time I watch this film, I pick up something new and incredibly profound, so I only watch it once every few years.

Secretary:

This twisted love story is one I can relate to on so many levels, obviously, but is also much truer to bdsm form than anything else out there!

Being John Malkovich:

Charlie Kaufman and Spike Jonze, need I say more? I love worlds that are slightly surreal, where just one strange anomaly turns into fun chaotic drama. Also, seeing Cameron Diaz looking so homely and desperate was a treat.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Holy Mountain:

I love Jodorowsky's epic masterpiece of his journey through symbols and their meanings, the alchemy of the human soul portrayed through moving images. Each time I watch this film, I pick up something new and incredibly profound, so I only watch it once every few years.

Secretary:

This twisted love story is one I can relate to on so many levels, obviously, but is also much truer to bdsm form than anything else out there!

Being John Malkovich:

Charlie Kaufman and Spike Jonze, need I say more? I love worlds that are slightly surreal, where just one strange anomaly turns into fun chaotic drama. Also, seeing Cameron Diaz looking so homely and desperate was a treat.

love all!

Another vote for the 'Shawshank Redemption', it is one of the few non-action movies that I will happily watch whenever it is on. Morgan Freeman is one of my favourite actors and this was probably the first movie I saw him in.

I also like 'Misery', Kathy Bates was amazing in that and the hobbling scene is iconic. Some very funny bits too.

Interestingly, both of these are Stephen King adaptions.

don't provoke me... you'll regret it... 1 more chance to choose something less gigli-esque...

OK, you win. As much as I would love to choose an œuvre not Yankee, I have to admit Dead man is the all-time, butt-kicking masterpiece. Effortlessly entrancing and in pure harmony with Neil Young's calm, heavy, ragged score. As far as the best N.Y.C. has bestowed upon the world, only Jim Jarmusch can compete with the fortress.

Every time I mention this film I get the same answer: "Oh yes, Dead man walking ? Or Dead man on campus ?"

I wanted to add a few whys to my top three.

West Side Story:  I had the musical soundtrack from the stage performance which was superior to that of the movie.  I was in a local street gang when the movie finally came to our neighborhood.  I enjoyed the gang rivalry more than the story itself but saw the film at least 50 or more times.  I haven't seen the movie though in more than 10 years but I finally saw the play in 2009.  It didn't impress me so much after all these years and the vocal performances were mediocre at best.  It was a treat from a lady friend.

Citizen Kane:  This movie was once thought to be the best ever made.  It was based on the life of William Randolph Hearst.  I actually studied this movie in a cinematography class.

The Silence of the Lambs:  This movie blurred the lines between good and bad.  Not all the good guys were good and not all the bad guys were bad.  More suspense than a Hitchcock thriller.  Imagine one of the heroes as a psychotic serial killer?  Jodie Foster great in her role as a woman trying to excel in a male dominated environment. I could imagine having an intelligent conversation with Hannibal Lechter but not with Buffalo Bill.

Dannyboy

This kills me.  I used to love, LOVE, movies!  Until I started working on them.  There is something to be said, when you see someone you grew up admiring on screen, run out of his trailer screaming, on set, and throwing his lunch at his assistant (who was crying already from his verbal badgering) hitting her point blank in the face because it was a Chicken salad and not a Caesar chicken salad.  It put's things into perspective.  It's all make believe..........  I read a lot more now.

But I still cant burry all my love of the motion picture: 

Casablanca  - The movie that taught me about movies:  Ingrid Bergman is almost always on the right side of the screen.  Do you know why? It's simple.

Yojimbo/Seven Samurai -  Kurosawa (A genius) and I have a male crush on Toshiro Mifune.

Sward of Doom -  Another samurai flick with Mifune (Dark).

Jaws - Scared the S&*^t out of me as a kid.

Breaking the Waves - Lars Von Trier

North By North West/Notorious - Hitchcock & Grant.  Plus the title scene of NBNW is great with the music and the patio scene in Notorious should be studied by future filmmakers. 

The Good The Bad and The Ugly - Sergio Leone - all time favorite.

As for the kid in me, my mom was a hippie and loved Rock and Roll so my sister and I would watch Rock movies growing up (Sid and Nancy, Saturday night Fever, La Bamba, Rock and Roll High School.) But the one movie that is burned into my mind is....

Wild in The Streets - Directed by Barry Shear and staring Christopher Jones (He Stopped acting a long time ago.)  Shelly Winters plays the mom and she's tripping on LSD the entire second half of the film.  Its so crazy.  It should be played at the beginning of a Triple feature followed by A Clockwork Orange and then Battle Royale.  All three films are Youth focused in a way.

It's an odd one but it's great campy fun.  Especially some of the songs.

YES!

I found Hannibal to be almost equally satisfying. Almost. But it did further my understanding on how anyone could indulge in such misanthropic whims.

I wanted to add a few whys to my top three.

The Silence of the Lambs:  This movie blurred the lines between good and bad.  Not all the good guys were good and not all the bad guys were bad.  More suspense than a Hitchcock thriller.  Imagine one of the heroes as a psychotic serial killer?  Jodie Foster great in her role as a woman trying to excel in a male dominated environment. I could imagine having an intelligent conversation with Hannibal Lechter but not with Buffalo Bill.

Dannyboy

The Princess Bride is my favorite. A storybook romance done as a comedy with swordfighting, pirates, brilliant dialogue, and truly memorable characters.  Inigo Montoya is my favorite character, and his most intense moment comes when he confronts (at swordpoint)  the six fingered Count who murdered his father:

Inigo Montoya: HELLO! MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA! YOU KILLED MY FATHER! PREPARE TO DIE! 
Inigo Montoya: Offer me money. 
Count Rugen: Yes! 
Inigo Montoya: Power, too, promise me that. 
Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please… 
Inigo Montoya: Offer me anything I ask for. 
Count Rugen: Anything you want… 
Inigo Montoya: I want my father back, you son of a bitch!

I too love Princess Bride!  Way back..when Cary Elwes was still hot.

More awesome dialogue:

Christiane F. was a great movie.  I like to watch everything with captions but I wish I understood German in case I missed any nuances.

Tongs is also an all time favorite.  It's impossible to find online!  Watched it when I was in the 8th grade and everyone I knew was a psuedo gangster LOL

Tongs clip:

Kids is another movie I really liked.  I saw it when it came out, I similar in age to the characters and they too were in NYC so it was very relevant to me, plus I LOVE skaters.

Favorite topic- I love films!

I tend to love films with some strong social commentary and controversial viewpoint on a topic. It could be any topic- as long as it's culturally relevant and progressive.

For example I really loved some films with French actress Catherine Deneuve in the 60s. She starred in this CHILLING psychological film by Roman Polanski himself, called Repulsion, where an extremely paranoid woman is repulsed by men and sex but secretly entertains fantasies of being raped while she is left alone in her apartment.

She also played in another 60's movie Belle du Jour, where she plays a Parisian housewife who daydreams of all kinds of wild sexual trysts, and becomes a day time prostitute where she could explore her sexuality while her husband was away at work. I love a cinematic work that explores the complexity of people's needs and desires, especially a woman's sexual desires, as imagine in the 60s, this wasn't even something possible to discuss openly! Or that women were even seen as having sexual agency. 

MV5BMTU3MzI5NDE1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUw

A very important film(not movie see-----class!!)

In the cinematography class the professor mentioned that in Paris it was considered "gauche" to leave the theatre while the credits were still running. Once an usher asked me to leave and I said, as a man of some class, "get the fuck out of here stupid, I'm trying to read the credits." I must have traumatized the poor guy. That was long before I ever sessioned with an Asian Mistress.

Point taken.

Dannyboy

I tend to love films with some strong social commentary and controversial viewpoint on a topic. It could be any topic- as long as it's culturally relevant and progressive.

For example I really loved some films with French actress Catherine Deneuve in the 60s. She starred in this CHILLING psychological film by Roman Polanski himself, called Repulsion, where an extremely paranoid woman is repulsed by men and sex but secretly entertains fantasies of being raped while she is left alone in her apartment.

She also played in another 60's movie Belle du Jour, where she plays a Parisian housewife who daydreams of all kinds of wild sexual trysts, and becomes a day time prostitute where she could explore her sexuality while her husband was away at work. I love a cinematic work that explores the complexity of people's needs and desires, especially a woman's sexual desires, as imagine in the 60s, this wasn't even something possible to discuss openly! Or that women were even seen as having sexual agency. 

i love deneuve in the 60s- yes both are incredible. i have a feeling you must be into bergman as well? and akerman?

First, welcome to the Fortress Mistress Rey. 

Second, interesting take on the movie Repulsion. Its definitely a movie I enjoyed since watching it in college for a media studies class on paranoia. The class developed a great deal of fondness for Chuck Pahluniak, David Cronenberg's horror, and Alfred Hitchcock in particular. In any case, Repulsion's central theme of paranoia and her resulting delusions onset by sexual assault struck me more as trauma rather than sexual fantasy. 

OMG!  I just remembered a most HILARIOUS movie- 

GENTLEMEN BRONCO!!  Has anyone seen it??  So off the wall, I love it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1161418/

Also, Grand Budapest Hotel and Inherent Vice were REALLY good.  I want to know if anyone shares my opinion here? ;-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1791528/

OMG!  I just remembered a most HILARIOUS movie- 

GENTLEMEN BRONCO!!  Has anyone seen it??  So off the wall, I love it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1161418/

Also, Grand Budapest Hotel and Inherent Vice were REALLY good.  I want to know if anyone shares my opinion here? ;-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2278388/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1791528/

Loved Grand Buddapest ! Inherent Vice is my next must see

Its hard to say what my favorite film is but I recently re-watched The Dreamers.  I have actually seen this film a few times but something about it really appeals to me.  

I found this Patti Smith (who I love) song set to scenes from the film.

http://youtu.be/ujyWQW8AhiA

OHMYGOD, I love that movie but moreso because I LUST HARD for Michael Pitt ;-)